PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Dive Knife vs. Diving Shears???

BobbyWombat
10-03-2007, 13:26
What is better to have with you when diving and why: dive knife or diving shears?

BobbyWombat
10-03-2007, 13:30
My experience is that dive shears are better and easier for cutting most things you could get caught up in.

I don't think you NEED both...but I'm very interested to see what others think and why on this issue.

Thanks for playing

-BW

Vercingetorix
10-03-2007, 13:31
I carry both. Redundancy is good. Each is good for its own task.

Annecdote my instructor told me.He knew a diver who was entangled in netting/fishing-line. She was found, drowned of course, with her knife just beyond her fingertips. She had dropped her knife and could not reach it. Some folks attach a lanyard to their knife or shears.

jwdizney
10-03-2007, 13:58

Annecdote my instructor told me.He knew a diver who was entangled in netting/fishing-line. She was found, drowned of course, with her knife just beyond her fingertips. She had dropped her knife and could not reach it. Some folks attach a lanyard to their knife or shears.
Good example, Rick.... strong point for both!..also, another vote for BUDDY diving!!

BobbyWombat
10-03-2007, 15:29

Great. Why not carry two knives or two shears? What are the specific tasks that each is better at?

ianr33
10-03-2007, 15:41
My primary cutting tool is a pair of shears. (middle of waist strap)
Also carry a small z knife as a backup.(far left of waist strap)

I see no need to carry a knife with a regular blade. The only thing I am going to use a cutting device for is cutting either fishing line or cave line and shears work great for that.

Vercingetorix
10-03-2007, 15:44

Great. Why not carry two knives or two shears? What are the specific tasks that each is better at?Shears are good for cutting fishing line. Also, less opportunity cutting the user. A blunt-tip knife is good for prying. It can be used for cutting vegetation entanglements, such as California kelp. The knife can be used on shore for food prep (very important use:smilie39:)

Both my knife and shears are on my waist strap (I have a BP/W), so they are accessible and out of the way. My knife is between buckle and right hip D-ring, which is dead space.

caroln
10-03-2007, 15:54
For diving in this area, shears are good to have because the wrecks tend to have a lot of old fishing line on them. There is a type of line (the name escapes me right now) that the knives just have a tough time getting through but the shears can handle. A z knife is nice for backup and not too cumbersome.

MxDiver
10-03-2007, 16:20
I carry two knives a remora and a fogcutter (blunt tip), which has built in shears and a line cutter, never had to cut anything underwater, but I tried both the shears and line cutter on different fishing lines and had no problems with either one. As to which one is better IMO it all depends where you dive, but I rather not have to choose.
Regards

fire diver
10-03-2007, 16:44
I carry both. Sometimes. depending on the situation. I always have AT LEAST my shears which sit on my waist belt, left side.

If I am going into an unknow area, or an area with higher entanglement hazard, I add my knife. Strapped to my right calf. This lets me have redundancy, tools on opposite areas incase one is inaccessible, and tools with different strenghts.

FD

mm_dm
10-03-2007, 16:48
I carry both as I'm into redundancy.

I carry both as I'm into redundancy.

Thank you,
The Department of Redundancy Department

dutchman
10-03-2007, 16:54
I carry both. Better safe than sorry. It is not like it takes up a lot of room. Scissors on BC and knife on leg.

dludwig
10-03-2007, 17:30
2 knives. One on my leg & one on my powe inflator. I'd have a problem w/ 5 mm gloves & shears

CompuDude
10-03-2007, 18:01
Both. Each tool has it's weaknesses, and things it excels at. Shears are the safer to use of the two, of course, but there are some things they won't cut through, and some purposes to which they are ill-suited. Same can be said for a knife... some things shears are easier (monofilment), and others require a good knife (scallops... or cutting a thick rope, among countless other examples).

So I carry both. Plus a Z-knife on the shoulder strap. That's mostly for rescue purposes, however.

Splitlip
10-03-2007, 18:19
Shears work for one handed use when dealing with mono and nets.
Knives on the other hand can saw, pry and stab. They certainly can be used for cutting mono and nets, but not as well as shears.
Also nice to have two tools should you drop one.

Splitlip
10-03-2007, 18:26

I once had my first stage entangled in a birds nest of monfiliment. I used my knife to get myself free. I was by myself and kept thinking "please don't drop the knife".

In hind sight, shears would have done better and I propbably could have removed my rig... But still, the message was loud and clear. At least two cutting tools and one of them shears.

tbuckalew
10-03-2007, 18:49
Some great information from all sides. I've dove with a blunt tip knife for many years and have always thought about shears (but always seem to forget when I'm in the store). I really need to remember next time. Diving with both sounds perfect.

DiverBry
10-03-2007, 19:02
I carry both... the EMT shears for their practicality and speed, and the dive knife so nobody revokes my man-card.

But, I'm considering a bypass pruner, too (see avatar), LOL!

IrishSquid
10-03-2007, 19:30
I carry both... the EMT shears for their practicality and speed, and the dive knife so nobody revokes my man-card.

But, I'm considering a bypass pruner, too (see avatar), LOL!

Heck Yeah! I also carry a modified carpet cutter. That thing will slice anything (non metal) that fits in its beak.

somewhereinla
10-03-2007, 20:10
I have a z-knife for lines and a big knife that I use if I am caught in strong current which I use the same way a mountain climber uses an ice pick... you would be surprise how well it works.

Cojrock
10-03-2007, 20:13
I always carry a knife on my leg. Firstly to stand out in a dive group (its got a bright yellow handles & sheath). Secondly to look cool when you come outa the water and there are a few car loads of people watching you(my most common dive site is literally just off the our SH1).

Bring the Payne
10-03-2007, 23:20
You could do like I did and get the best of both worlds with a Fogcutter. It has built-in shears, ser. side, non-ser. side and a line cutter all in one.

BobbyWombat
10-04-2007, 14:19
Great input. We are getting at exactly what I had hoped we would. My summary below, please copy it and beat it up as you see fit:

Diving Shears
Pros-
1. Easier for cutting monofilament line
2. Less risk of injuring yourself in the process of using it
3. Easy to cut one handed

Cons-
1. Harder to manipulate with gloves on (can be dropped when grip relaxed)
2. Not ideal for cutting thick line such as rope

Dive knife
Pros-
1. Serrated edge can be used to saw through thicker material
2. Easy to use and hang on to with gloves (maintain positive grasp during use)
3. Spade tip allows for prying, if necessary
4. Easily cuts thin line, if line is held tight

Cons-
1. Not always easy to cut one handed (usually one hand needed to hold the material to be cut)
2. Higher risk of cutting yourself
3. Not allowed at some dive sites (to keep divers from prying open mussels, for instance)

Charles R
10-04-2007, 15:10
There are some things that a knife wont cut very well same for the shears each has a pupose and I think i want to try one of the OMS line cutters a razor might just do the trick of both

CompuDude
10-04-2007, 15:14
There are some things that a knife wont cut very well same for the shears each has a pupose and I think i want to try one of the OMS line cutters a razor might just do the trick of both

The OMS line cutter is a great substitute for a Z-knife (and won't rust!), but it's no substitute for a proper knife. They're great at cutting some kinds of line, and unparalleled at slicing through webbing in an emergency (the reason I carry one), but useless for anything that doesn't fit into the slot and into the cutting area.

If you really want to cover all bases, three is the magic number: 1) Knife 2) Shears 3) Line Cutter/Z-knife

BobbyWombat
10-04-2007, 15:27
If you really want to cover all bases, three is the magic number: 1) Knife 2) Shears 3) Line Cutter/Z-knife

Larry must love you!!

ChrisA
10-04-2007, 15:39
I don't know that you need both shears and knife but it is good to have a backup cutter. I've lost cutting tools on dives. I cary a small (about 2 1/2 inch) UK brand knife on my belt and EMT shear on my BC shoulder strap.

The #1 thing I've been tangled up in is fishing line. The shears work best for this. I can use my fingers to break kelp if required but mostly I don't have to break it

Vercingetorix
10-04-2007, 15:49
You could do like I did and get the best of both worlds with a Fogcutter. It has built-in shears, ser. side, non-ser. side and a line cutter all in one.I've read critiques of the Fog-Cutter. No positive reviews. What are your experiences in real world scenarios?

CompuDude
10-04-2007, 16:01

Larry must love you!!

He might, but probably not because of this. ;)

DIR knives are homemade or around $10 for "premade homemade", shears are around $10 or less, unless you want a sheath that I don't use, and Z-knives are under $20 also. $40 max ain't buyin' that much love! LOL

Fancy knives certainly bring that price up, but ST doesn't carry the Halcyon knife I prefer, sadly. I'll pick up another OMS line cutter from them at some point, though, once my Z-knife finishes rusting to uselessness... but $30 isn't really a monster purchase either.

MSilvia
10-04-2007, 16:07
I use shears for getting out of entanglements, and a knife for shucking scallops and putting speared flounder out of their misery.

Vercingetorix
10-04-2007, 16:46
DIR knives are homemade or around $10 for "premade homemade", shears are around $10 or less, unless you want a sheath that I don't use, If not a sheath, then how are the shears stowed? I dive a BP/W. For now, my sheath is on my right waist belt between the right-hip D-ring and the plate.

Also, do you have a photo of a "homemade" knife?

MSilvia
10-04-2007, 16:55
It looks exactly like a big steak knife with the end snapped off and filed after about 3" of blade, because that's what it is.

Splitlip
10-04-2007, 17:26
DIR knives are homemade or around $10 for "premade homemade", shears are around $10 or less, unless you want a sheath that I don't use, If not a sheath, then how are the shears stowed? I dive a BP/W. For now, my sheath is on my right waist belt between the right-hip D-ring and the plate.

Not to steal compududes post, but I carry shears in a pocket. Piece of an old hose protector over the tips.
This is a "homemade" knife.
http://home.earthlink.net/~toddclagett/NovaTech/knifesheath.htm

DiveRites, Salvo etc are basically the same
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/img/ac2042.jpg (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/img/ac2042lg.jpg)

I like a real knife. Mine is small, but more effective.

CompuDude
10-04-2007, 17:38
Thanks, splitlip. Saved me some typing. :smiley20:

cshel
10-04-2007, 19:27
I have this Zeagle Knife and Shears Kit

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ToolKit

I must admit that I have never had the occasion to use them.

The knife has a serrated edge and a smooth edge and a notch just below the smooth blade. The shears are blunt ended. The sheath attaches to any strap on your BC.

Vercingetorix
10-04-2007, 23:18
SplitLip. Thanks for the link. The knife I got with my GolemGear wing came with a knife just like that. The knife has a short serrated edge and the sheath is made from standard 2-inch webbing. Best of all, it was FREE.

BobArnold8265
10-06-2007, 21:21
I carry a knife and stay close to my dive buddy. You don't need to carry redundant gear if you buddy is close by !!!

CompuDude
10-08-2007, 12:13
I carry a knife and stay close to my dive buddy. You don't need to carry redundant gear if you buddy is close by !!!

Or, perhaps another way to say that is: your buddy is carrying your redundant gear. :) (Certainly true in the case of air supply)

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 13:00
I'm using 2 knifes. Might pick up a Z-knife when I get my BP/W.

Danny

terrillja
10-10-2007, 15:20
I have 2 oceanic spinner knives on my Probe LX bc, set in a crossdraw setup, and a set of shears in a sheath. I have had to use both, with the spinner knives being better at cutting fishing line, and the shears being better at cutting braided steel and leadcore line, which the knives can't even touch.

robanna
10-10-2007, 17:16
I carry both; a ScubaPro K3 knife on the left of my chest strap (prybar, screwdrive, no parts to break or hold water, bottle opener):http://www.scubastore.com/images/fotos/scu00030.jpg

and EMT Shears in my right BC pocket with a sheath like this. (http://www.sevenanchors.com/ScubaSnips.jpg)
http://www.sevenanchors.com/ScubaSnips.jpg (http://www.sevenanchors.com/ScubaSnips.jpg)
Oh, by the way, I've never needed to use either.

Charlotte Smith
10-10-2007, 17:30
I carry both because I can.....I have them if I need them or if one gets lost or broken...I have a back-up.....Use the shears mostly for cutting anchor lines that are hopelessly wrapped around something that I don't have the time to unwrap on that dive.

BobbyWombat
10-10-2007, 19:44
Anyone have any experience with the OMS diving shears? How do they compare with the EMS style shears?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/5/8/1/shear.jpg

RoadRacer1978
10-10-2007, 19:45
Just a knife for now, but have been planning on adding some shears or a backup knife in the bc. Probably go with the shears so with a knife and shears will have a more versatile arsenal.

floater
10-10-2007, 20:47

Not so fast, you also need one of those mini Tekna knives that attaches to the Goodman handle of your cannister light for those tricky situations when your hands are almost completely entangled and you cannot reach pockets, waist strap, inflator or anything other than the Goodman handle because you are already holding it.

By the way, where can you buy those knives these days?

P.S. I like sheers. I've ended up using them at home to cut chicken and everything else because my other scissor type instruments are crap.

Splitlip
10-10-2007, 21:08

Not so fast, you also need one of those mini Tekna knives that attaches to the Goodman handle of your cannister light for those tricky situations when your hands are almost completely entangled and you cannot reach pockets, waist strap, inflator or anything other than the Goodman handle because you are already holding it.

But if your hands are entangled, how do you cut yourself free?
I have seen Indiana Jones use a Zippo lighter, but that won't work. I have ALSO seen the Lone Ranger use a broken plate to cut Tonto free. Yeah, that's it:smiley36:

BTW. Ebay I think is it.

paintsnow
10-10-2007, 22:14
i use both because as previously stated each has its own pros and cons.

when i get my drysuit and pony im considering buying another knife and either putting it in the knife pocket on the drysuit, or mount it to the pony bottle with hose clamps.

Charlotte Smith
10-10-2007, 22:29
Anyone have any experience with the OMS diving shears? How do they compare with the EMS style shears?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/5/8/1/shear.jpg
I don't know how tough those are but my shears will cut pennies without a problem and stay sharp so I am pretty comfortable with them....

CompuDude
10-11-2007, 14:29

By the way, where can you buy those knives these days?

P.S. I like sheers. I've ended up using them at home to cut chicken and everything else because my other scissor type instruments are crap.

If they made those Teknas out of titanium, I'd consider adding one. :) I think eBay is probably your only source... I haven't seen one for sale in years. I'm sure something similar could substitute, however.

But it's pretty low on my list of concerns. At some point... God wants you up there, and it doesn't matter what you have strapped about your body. ;-)

BobbyWombat
10-11-2007, 15:29
At some point... God wants you up there, and it doesn't matter what you have strapped about your body. ;-)

Hmmmmm........I fear I might be headed the other direction.....at least I'd already be part of the way there.:naughty:

subsur
10-11-2007, 15:42
i don't have either but i can't understand people's fascination with knives U/W. i get the testosterone thing but besides it a simple line cutter is as good if not better at cutting a line and shears are definitely exert more force. anyway, i'd go with a shears.

CompuDude
10-11-2007, 19:03
i don't have either but i can't understand people's fascination with knives U/W. i get the testosterone thing but besides it a simple line cutter is as good if not better at cutting a line and shears are definitely exert more force. anyway, i'd go with a shears.

I'm guessing you don't dive in an area where they are actually needed.

jerdr1
10-13-2007, 16:34
I always have both. I have had the shears freeve up in cold New England waters.

paintsnow
10-13-2007, 22:08

During the dive?
how is that possible?
if you aren't ice diving then i don't see how that would happen.
and even if you were, as long as your moving i dont think the water would be able to freeze them up.

danielh03
10-13-2007, 23:07
I like shears, cheap to replace if lost, never have to sharpen, and no exposed edge to cut you, your buddy, or gear.

MBH
10-14-2007, 09:59
I carry my little Betty Crocker special in the standard DIR location (left center of waist strap) and my shears are clipped off in my right pocket.

I actually take this one step further as I have a surgical tubing loop through a drilled hole in my knife handle, and I also have a surgical tubing loop through the handle of my shears. My thoughts are that should I ever need to free myself or my teammate from an entanglement, that bungee loop will be around my wrist, thus making it nearly impossible to drop my knife or shears during a critical incident.

BobbyWombat
10-14-2007, 14:01
My thoughts are that should I ever need to free myself or my teammate from an entanglement, that bungee loop will be around my wrist, thus making it nearly impossible to drop my knife or shears during a critical incident.

I like that idea a lot, and might use it. Sounds better than having the tool tied off to your BC, and having that "extra" line to deal with.

The thing is, you need a foolproof way of getting the tool ON your wrist in the first place without dropping it. Such as having it clipped on or in a pouch that you don't unfasten until after it is securely on your wrist.

BobbyWombat
10-14-2007, 14:06

During the dive?
how is that possible?

I can buy that heat makes metal expand and cold makes it contract. That is why bridges are bult with slip joints at one end.

I would be surprised, though, if just diving in cold water was enough to cause a pair of shears to bind up. There is comparatively little metal, so the expansion/contraction has to be minimal.

I've been wrong in the past, though. Might be worth a little home-made experiment.

-BW

IrishSquid
10-14-2007, 15:28
You could do like I did and get the best of both worlds with a Fogcutter. It has built-in shears, ser. side, non-ser. side and a line cutter all in one.I've read critiques of the Fog-Cutter. No positive reviews. What are your experiences in real world scenarios?

The only real world experience I've had with the Fogcutter was:
Checking it out at the LDS and pinched the crap out of my finger. Big blood blister. Layed it back down.
This isn't to knock it, just my experience. If I did it once, I'd do it again.
:smiley29:

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 15:43
Never seen a Fog-Cutter until I did some research after reading the posts. I could definately see how someone would pinch their hand and if underwater and wearing gloves looks like it would be easy to drop when trying to use it as shears.

Silverlode
10-15-2007, 05:29
Read somewhere that SS surgical scissors makes good cheap shears. Anyone with real-life experience with those?

fire diver
10-15-2007, 09:50
"sugical" equals junk. It is meant to be used and disposed of. Not meant for harsh saltwater environments over a period of time.

BobbyWombat
10-26-2007, 21:56
Added to the running summary based on further posts. Please add/subtract as you see fit:

Diving Shears
Pros-
1. Easier for cutting monofilament line
2. Less risk of injuring yourself in the process of using it
3. Easy to cut one handed

Cons-
1. Harder to manipulate with gloves on (can be dropped when grip relaxed)
2. Not ideal for cutting thick line such as rope

Dive knife
Pros-
1. Serrated edge can be used to saw through thicker material
2. Easy to use and hang on to with gloves (maintain positive grasp during use)
3. Spade tip allows for prying, if necessary
4. Easily cuts thin line, if line is held tight

Cons-
1. Not always easy to cut one handed (usually one hand needed to hold the material to be cut)
2. Higher risk of cutting yourself
3. Not allowed at some dive sites (to keep divers from prying open mussels, for instance)

"Z Knife"
Pros-
1. Great (possibly best?) for cutting thin line and webbing
2. Can be used rather easily with gloves on
3. Lightweight
4. Small

Cons-
1. Need two hands to cut unless the material is taut
2. Razor blade can corrode and dull faster than normal knife if not properly maintained (but is easily replaceable)

Fogcutter
Pros-
1. The best of both worlds: a knife and a pair of shears

Cons-
1. You wind up with a decent knife and a bad pair of shears
2. Difficult to manipulate with gloves on
3. Two tools, yes, but no redundancy

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
10-29-2007, 16:39
I use shears for cutting line. I also carry a blunt tip knife. I've never used the knife except to zero a depth guage or peel fruit during the surface interval.

RonFrank
10-29-2007, 17:12
A Dive Knife is mandatory equipment... .for cutting up fruit topside! :smiley36:

I actually used my knife twice last summer. Once because I'd gifted my brass bolt snap to another diver who was dragging his SPG all over the place. I cut it off my EMT shears because the new ones in my Save-O-Dive kit were the nice SS variety, and new.

We were doing a dive on the Grove, and I had not bothered attaching a bolt snap onto my shears, so my shears remained topside. My buddy got tangled in a long piece of monofilament. I removed my knife, cut the line, removed the hook, and stuffed it all in a pocket.

Up to that point, I'd decided my dive knife was just an expensive tank banger, but when I needed it, it did the job.

If you have to choose one or the other, the shears are IMO more useful. They are cheap, and will cut through a lot like hooks for example with ease. What they are not good at, and this holds true for zip shears also is sawing through heavier material like a net.

terrillja
10-29-2007, 20:04
"sugical" equals junk. It is meant to be used and disposed of. Not meant for harsh saltwater environments over a period of time.

Eventually they will rust, but as long as you wash them well, they will take a bit to rust. Personally I have 2 pairs of shears, one for freshwater, one for saltwater, but they are pretty cheap per pair, google ems shears.

BG9879
10-30-2007, 11:12
I personally will be carrying three cutting tools once I get them all attached, but I am also using them in a public safety diver situation. I will have a dive knife, shears, and a small window punch/seatbelt cutter. The seatbelt cutter will work as a cutting tool as well. For a general rec dive, I agree with the redundancy factor. It is always better to have the extra piece of equipment then need it sometime and not have it.

mcc2318
11-22-2007, 15:33
I carry a knife, haven't really seen a pair of shears that i liked

Airborne!
11-22-2007, 21:41
I carry Shears and a Knife. Both have strengths and weaknesses that some have already gone into here.

The thing about shears is I consider them a mechanical device subject to failure even with the best maintenance. Imagine you went to cut yourself out of something and the center pin snapped and you are left holding the two pieces. You might still be able to use them like a knife at that point, but you’re definitely not going to get the best results.

willardj
11-23-2007, 19:16
They both have their own purpose. Don't forget the Z knife as well.

navyhmc
11-23-2007, 20:55
I have carried a dive knife for years, never thought about shears. Might have benefits to me. I like bobby wombat's pro/con list so I may have to consider it in the future.

CaribbeanDiver
11-24-2007, 10:22
I think I probably should carry both but I only carry a small folding knife. I have never had the need to use a cutting tool so I can easily argue to myself that I do not need another tool besides the knife. Second, I hate carrying too much stuff and it is really easy to add this or that and before you know it you have too many thises and thatses.
But, it seems logical that shears would cut line easier since you can do it one handed whereas a knife may take two hands, one to hold the line, one to slash with the blade.
Then there is always the stress it will cause from trying to figure out a place where it is assessible in the event of an emergency.

CompuDude
11-24-2007, 12:55
That's why it's nice to own your own rig and keep everything connected and ready to go at all times. With pockets on your exposure suit, you're not "carrying" anything, really. Everything is securely attached at all times, ideally. And if you always wear the same rig throughout your training and diving, you'll never have any hesitation as to where you hooked something up "this time". Consistency builds muscle memory.

character157
06-24-2008, 20:21
Right now I carry a BC knife-I have thought of getting a pair of shears but as of yet have had no reason to use them. I guess that is reason enough to pick some up...sooner or later its will happen.

oddbod
06-25-2008, 02:04
Shears are for cutting, Knife is for sacrificing buddy to the Shark God:smilie39:

Truered1
06-25-2008, 07:37
I'm with oddbod, you never know when, why or how you will use them but if you didn't have them you would always need them.

Vercingetorix
06-25-2008, 09:04
Right now I carry a BC knife-I have thought of getting a pair of shears but as of yet have had no reason to use them. I guess that is reason enough to pick some up...sooner or later its will happen.Redundancy is a good thing.

Last year, I read of one diver's drowning. She was caught in mono-filament at the bottom and couldn't escape. When they found her body, she was still entangled. Her shears were on the bottom, just an inch beyond her grasp. She had dropped them.

mksmith713
06-25-2008, 21:45
I carry both.
You can never be too prepared.

diver 85
07-07-2008, 11:06
Carry both here but if I had to pick one it would be shears.......

bsktcase93
10-31-2008, 21:53
dont be cheap when it comes to your safety dive with both shears and a knife you never know

SynCitizen
10-31-2008, 23:41
I have just a small blunt tip knife.... threads such as this often give me good reasons to consider alternatives.
Thanks.

OH-JJ
11-01-2008, 15:06
Here with these two you are all set for under $20

Dive Rite Econo Knife reviews and discounts, Dive Rite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteEconoKnife)

EMT Shears reviews and discounts, ScubaToys (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=KN25)

CFDAlden
11-03-2008, 01:14
I also carry both. Small blunt tip knife on my left side, waist high. Shears are on my right shoulder. I should be able to reach one of the two no matter what.

shawnwill36
11-03-2008, 04:17
i have two knives, a blunt tip and a sharp tip. i dont carry shears but maybe i should

BobbyWombat
11-03-2008, 11:21
Here with these two you are all set for under $20

Dive Rite Econo Knife reviews and discounts, Dive Rite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteEconoKnife)

EMT Shears reviews and discounts, ScubaToys (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=KN25)

I picked up the DiveRite econo knife. Great little serrated edge knife for a great price.

reeldive
11-03-2008, 12:31
Carry both.

BobbyWombat
11-24-2009, 11:23
I think hattori hanzo shears (http://www.hattorihanzoshears.com) has the best solution for hair shears (http://www.hattorihanzoshears.com/Hair_Shears_s/2.htm) and hair cutting tools (http://www.hattorihanzoshears.com/Hair_Cutting_Tools_s/54.htm).

Good heavens!!

http://goldfishbroth.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/spambot2.jpg

tfd86
11-24-2009, 11:29
Might not be spam, looking for new barber but never thought I could find a good one at depth. Might be worth it everytime wife tells me to get a haircut I wouldn't put up a fight.

Zeagle Eagle
11-24-2009, 12:18
I am working on my Scuba Toys Christmas wish list and would like some opinions on this.

Zeagle Diver Tool Kit reviews and discounts, Zeagle (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ToolKit)

I am particularly interested it's durability in salt water. Any thoughts?

I am also thinking about adding Zeagle Line Cutter reviews and discounts, Zeagle (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Zeagle_Line_cutter)

I wonder if I can stuff it in the same tool pocket as the Zeagle Divers Tool.

CompuDude
11-24-2009, 12:32
I am working on my Scuba Toys Christmas wish list and would like some opinions on this.

Zeagle Diver Tool Kit reviews and discounts, Zeagle (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ToolKit)

I am particularly interested it's durability in salt water. Any thoughts?

I am also thinking about adding Zeagle Line Cutter reviews and discounts, Zeagle (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Zeagle_Line_cutter)

I wonder if I can stuff it in the same tool pocket as the Zeagle Divers Tool.

Looks bulky and expensive, but it's a nice looking kit, certainly. Do you need a slate? Why do you want the kit, as opposed to simply a set of shears?

As to shears in salt water, find a good bulk source on eBay and be prepared to replace them regularly, every 6 months at a minimum, possibly more. The shears themselves do ok, but the pins always rust out. OTOH, if you ever find a really good rust proof set of shears that can take salt water without rusting out, let us all know!

I've actually heard decent things about that cutter. Actually, it was the same cutter sourced from another company, overseas. They said it did pretty well in salt water. But I've ended my search for the perfect line cutter because I already found the perfect one:

Benchmade Rescue Hook Model 7 (http://www.benchmade.com/products/7) (with X15-tn rust-resistant metal)

Slices through reinforced 2" webbing like butter. They call it rust resistant, but I call it rust proof. Well, maybe there will be some rust on it by the time my grand kids inherit it. Mine soaks in salt water, and stays in the salty-soaked fabric case to dry, no rinsing at all. Not a spec of rust after 6 solid months of abuse. And still scary sharp.

My search ended. $35 at KnifeCenter (http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=BM7BH20W).

Splitlip
11-24-2009, 20:28
I think hattori hanzo shears (http://www.hattorihanzoshears.com) has the best solution for hair shears (http://www.hattorihanzoshears.com/Hair_Shears_s/2.htm) and hair cutting tools (http://www.hattorihanzoshears.com/Hair_Cutting_Tools_s/54.htm).

Good heavens!!

http://goldfishbroth.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/spambot2.jpg
Ya think?
sheesh. Bot I would say.

"doh!" Spam Bot! LOL little slow tonight. Just made cranberry sauce and had to test out the liquor for Thursday.

texdiveguy
11-25-2009, 20:44
...........both.

RogerAg
11-26-2009, 14:18
I have been Diving for 5 or 6 years with a Parkway Dive knife. It is similar to "XS Scuba Fogcutter Recon Knife" that is sold by scuba toys. I love it and most divers that see it are in aw.

FISHKID
11-29-2009, 12:46
Carabiner Shears (click the link). Imagine how easy these are to quickly quick to the B.C. My pair is on the way. I have before always carried a knife and probably will continue to do so because its still going to better to use for prying.

Trauma Shears (http://www.trauma-shears.com)

CompuDude
11-29-2009, 13:30
Carabiner Shears (click the link). Imagine how easy these are to quickly quick to the B.C. My pair is on the way. I have before always carried a knife and probably will continue to do so because its still going to better to use for prying.

Trauma Shears (http://www.trauma-shears.com)

As long as the carabiner part (aka suicide clip) doesn't get caught on the very line you're trying to get disentangled from, yeah. Better to keep that particular model in a pocket.

RogerAg
11-30-2009, 10:06
I use my dive knife as a protection from Sharks!:smiley31:

If I see a Shark coming I simply stick my dive buddy with the knife and then swim away.:anim_devil:

:smilie39:

oddbod
11-30-2009, 19:59
I like the idea of the O ring to keep them closed:smiley32:.

Evan the Blue
11-30-2009, 20:15
Knife

Don't have to be faster than the shark ... just your buddy =)

BobbyWombat
12-01-2009, 12:29
If I see a Shark coming I simply stick my dive buddy with the knife and then swim away.:anim_devil:

:smilie39:

Knife

Don't have to be faster than the shark ... just your buddy =)

Ahhhh yes......a classic. I'm not saying this joke has been used a lot, or been around a while, but it just so happens that I ran across a picture of the first time this joke was made:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/5/8/1/caveman_joke.jpg

Amazing what science can so these days...

....(just a bit of good natured teasing :smiley2:.....welcome to the board!)

-BW

RogerAg
12-02-2009, 18:19
.welcome to the board!)

-BW

Thanks!
My Wife agrees with you, She said its a old joke to, however I'm an old joker.:caveman:

DiveGrenada
12-24-2009, 08:16
I like to have both, a small sharp knife is great for line, and what not, while shears cut through rope nets much better. both are also useful topside on the boat in different circumstances.

sterlinghe92
01-05-2010, 18:11
i carry the fog cutter x which has a blunt tip, serrated edge and a flat edge as well as scissors! this is in my drysuit pocket and i carry a little knife on my LP inflator! this works great because i have shears and a knife in one as well as a back up knife that i could get at with a different hand if needed!! in my opinion you want more than one of everything but not to much because that can also hurt you!