PDA

View Full Version : spring straps anyone?

coralcrazed
10-03-2007, 19:02
If you are in need of some really cool spring straps Than I suggest you look no further... check these things out!
Tilos Spring Straps, Fins, Tilos, Tilos Spring Straps (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TilosProDiverSpringStraps)

Yup, I'm partially responsible for those T site (and proud of it!). You see, I was talking to Larry and asked him if he can get these... At the time, he was not carrying those. He got back to me and said they are on their way... and here they are. So, if you guys over there at ST are in need of an internet product dog. GRRRRR WOOF WOOF, I'm your dog :smiley36:

Anyway, I like these especially because they have the rubber boot on the back of the spring which extends and covers the entire spring strap which I thought was really cool and different from most other sprind straps that may catch the neoprene boot and the buckles are stainless steel...

OK, I admit I've been looking at scuba stuff for way too long now. :smiley29:

THREAD FOLLOW UP:
***WARNING*** through this thread I have learned that there is a potentially seriouse flaw with these fin straps. I have been alerted to the fact that they can fall off in mid dive as the stainless buckles do not lock onto the peg.

coralcrazed
10-20-2007, 14:42
I don't know if anyone is following this thread but I thought that I should mention that I got these sweeeeet straps and they are awsome. fitted them onto my mares quatros and they are super comfortable and very functional. They will make getting the fins on and off super easy.

I purchased these as th straps that come with the Mares would open in mid dive and as a result one of my fins came off once... that was not a good thing to have happen. ever try finning with only one fin? not good. I will never have to worry about it ever again. this product is as good as it gets. :)

nizutz
10-21-2007, 11:12
$32 for the pair or just one?

coralcrazed
10-22-2007, 22:59
$32 for the pair or just one?

$32 for the pair... awsome price for an awsome strap... call ST :)

MSilvia
10-23-2007, 10:32
Nice... if I hadn't found it cheap and easy to make my own, I'd get a pair!

Aussie
10-23-2007, 10:47
I have the same on my Blade II. I have a cable tie to hold the steel section tight against the fins. It stops them from coming loose.

Aussie

MSilvia
10-23-2007, 12:02
...it stops them from coming loose.
Nevermind, I prefer mine. :)

coralcrazed
10-24-2007, 00:06
I have the same on my Blade II. I have a cable tie to hold the steel section tight against the fins. It stops them from coming loose.

Aussie
I'm hoping you can explain... do you use the cable ties around the peg or do you wrap it around the entire fin. I would love to see a picture if you would be so kind... or a real good exlanation. thanks mate!

coralcrazed
10-24-2007, 00:09
Nice... if I hadn't found it cheap and easy to make my own, I'd get a pair!
I fairly certain that what you are able to make cost you th same or more NO? and I would think that you could not duplicate the ruber part ofthe straps. I make my own stuff too but this nah!

coralcrazed
10-24-2007, 00:09
...it stops them from coming loose.
Nevermind, I prefer mine. :)
got any pics?

MSilvia
10-24-2007, 08:23
I fairly certain that what you are able to make cost you th same or more NO?
I went in on a group purchase when I got the springs and saved a few bucks that way, so I think the three sets I made cost me just over $25 each.

I would think that you could not duplicate the ruber part ofthe straps. I make my own stuff too but this nah!
I definately could have... thermoplastic would have made it easy, but I don't see any need for changing what I have now. Even with 5mm gloves or "smurf" drygloves, it's a snap to grip the clear tubing, which is quite comfortable.

Also, because the stainless "s-hooks" I used for attachment points can be closed to a narrower gap than the thickness of the posts on the fins, the straps aren't coming off unless I remove them intentionally.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/1727972507_33b6f69b59.jpg

Jipps
10-24-2007, 11:02
nice lookin straps silvia. What type/strength springs did u use, and how did u connect the s-hooks. Been thinkin of makin a pair for my atomic split fins.

coralcrazed
10-25-2007, 10:46
nice lookin straps silvia. What type/strength springs did u use, and how did u connect the s-hooks. Been thinkin of makin a pair for my atomic split fins.

are you kidding... it cost him $25 on a group buy... price out the parts at mcmaster carr and you will see that its even more than that. just spend the $7 more and buy the manufactured ones. If not from Scubatoys others have it cheaper too now.

I'm all for DIY but only when it makes scense... its doesn't here. that looks so home made that the only thing left of is the pot handle :smilie39: and it probably digs into your achilies tendon... The tilos are sweet they have a nice seat that does not dig and spreads the load of the spring... those springs are pretty powerful... Just buy it. there are so many other places to get these other than ST if you want to price it out.

Its not worth the $7 savings IMO...

Charlotte Smith
10-25-2007, 11:11
Its not worth the $7 savings IMO

To each his own.......right?

RonFrank
10-25-2007, 11:44
These are not much different than most other spring straps on the market. The Blue Reef (LP) are almost exactly the same. I own both Blue Reef, and Manta Straps. They both work well, but the Manta's seem to have a bit heavier spring.

Folks have been making their own spring straps for some time now. I think the cost is less then $20. Nothing wrong with DIY projects like that even if I chose not to bother for the $10 or so savings. However there was a time when a *cheap* spring strap was $50, and they were not available for SP, and Atomic fins. As Spring Straps have become more popular, the princes have gone down. There are a lot of manufactures like EZSpringStraps, OMS, Blue Reef, Tilos, Manta, Scubapro, Apollo, and XS scuba. This is an item where one can often throw the LDS a bone, and purchase locally. My LDS sells these for only a couple bucks more than online retails, so with shipping, buying locally actually may save you some $$$ (a very rare case indeed unfortunately!).

I would recommend Spring Straps to ANYONE. This is one of those inexpensive items that make a big difference. However to suggest that the Tilos strap is vastly superior IMO is stretching it!

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Large/BLREZP.jpg

These are the Blue Reef Spring Straps.. Look very similar..no? As for the spring catching neoprene booties.. well that just does not happen, so the added covering is IMO not necessary, or a big selling point. It also will not fully cover the spring once it is stretched and on the foot.

Charlotte Smith
10-25-2007, 11:47
These are not much different than most other spring straps on the market. The Blue Reef (LP) are almost exactly the same. I own both Blue Reef, and Manta Straps. They both work well, but the Manta's seem to have a bit heavier spring.

Folks have been making their own spring straps for some time now. I think the cost is less then $20. Nothing wrong with DIY projects like that even if I chose not to bother for the $10 or so savings. However there was a time when a *cheap* spring strap was $50. As they have become more popular, the princes have gone down.

I would recommend Spring Straps to ANYONE. This is one of those inexpensive items that make a big difference. However to suggest that the Tilos strap is vastly superior IMO is stretching it!

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Large/BLREZP.jpg

These are the Blue Reef Spring Straps.. Look very similar..no? As for the spring catching neoprene booties.. well that just does not happen, so the added covering is IMO not necessary, or a big selling point. It also will not fully cover the spring once it is stretched and on the foot.
My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!!

MSilvia
10-25-2007, 12:35
that looks so home made that the only thing left of is the pot handle
It IS home made. You say that like it's supposed to be a bad thing. I'm not partial to things that look mass-produced, so much as I am to things that work very well. I can tell they're mine, and they aren't likely to be stolen. You may see that as ugly. I see it as a feature.

and it probably digs into your achilies tendon
It most certainly does not.

Its not worth the $7 savings IMO...
Quite possibly not, but I made them several years ago, and may have overestimated the cost... now that I think about it, the springs themselves couldn't have been more than $6 each, and the other parts are even less. In any case, when I built them the alternative to DIY was $65 springs. It's up to you whether or not you think a small savings is too high a price to pay for the satisfaction of making your own gear, the knowledge that they're sized just right for you, and confidence that your spring straps won't slip off the posts. It was definitely worth it for $40+ savings.

For those who want to give it a try though, I used Long Type 302 SS Extension Spring 11" Length, 1/2" OD, .062" Wire Diameter from McMaster Carr. The S-hooks slip over the posts easily, and then get squeezed shut with channel locks or a vice. A length of cave line restricts how far they can be pulled, so they don't overstretch and deform, and heat-shrink tubing over the s-hooks reduces the chance of entanglement. The clear tubing also helps prevent line trapping, and adds comfort.

There are instructions online at this site that are similar to what I did, except for the s-hooks and a few minor details. Stainless Steel Spring Scuba Fin Straps (http://www.cyber-strategy.org/pers/FinStraps.html)

caroln
10-25-2007, 13:05
For those who want to give it a try though, I used Long Type 302 SS Extension Spring 11" Length, 1/2" OD, .062" Wire Diameter from McMaster Carr. The S-hooks slip over the posts easily, and then get squeezed shut with channel locks or a vice. A length of cave line restricts how far they can be pulled, so they don't overstretch and deform, and heat-shrink tubing over the s-hooks reduces the chance of entanglement. The clear tubing also helps prevent line trapping, and adds comfort.

There are instructions online at this site that are similar to what I did, except for the s-hooks and a few minor details. Stainless Steel Spring Scuba Fin Straps (http://www.cyber-strategy.org/pers/FinStraps.html)

I saw a pair that looked exactly like yours on one of the assistants in my buoyancy class. IMO they look good--the clear covering does the job and doesn't affect the look in any way. These are good for situations where you have entanglement concerns because there's nothing sticking out, it's all very rounded and clean. If I was any way mechanically inclined I'd give it a try, but I have to pay the premium to have someone else do it since I'm not :)

coralcrazed
10-25-2007, 20:29
Look very similar..no? As for the spring catching neoprene booties.. well that just does not happen, so the added covering is IMO not necessary, or a big selling point. It also will not fully cover the spring once it is stretched and on the foot.

Yeah they look sinilar but nope not the same at all. I happen to think that the tubing that covers the spring in one monolythic piece IS far superior to others... Is it a bigdifference? perhaps not to some. Do I think others are comperable... sure. even a DIY. But its still NOT the same. It just isn't. sorry!

coralcrazed
10-25-2007, 20:42
I fairly certain that what you are able to make cost you th same or more NO?
I went in on a group purchase when I got the springs and saved a few bucks that way, so I think the three sets I made cost me just over $25 each.

I would think that you could not duplicate the ruber part ofthe straps. I make my own stuff too but this nah!
I definately could have... thermoplastic would have made it easy, but I don't see any need for changing what I have now. Even with 5mm gloves or "smurf" drygloves, it's a snap to grip the clear tubing, which is quite comfortable.

Also, because the stainless "s-hooks" I used for attachment points can be closed to a narrower gap than the thickness of the posts on the fins, the straps aren't coming off unless I remove them intentionally.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/1727972507_33b6f69b59.jpg

I'm happy that they work well for you. I really am. Its great that you DIY... I do many DIY projects when they make sence to do. However, I am a stikler for function AND aesthetics. Now looking at your straps... they may be functional for YOU however, placing a clear plastic tube as a buffer will not feel the same on your achillies tendon as a fully flat surface. I can direct you to structural surface tention calculations if youd like but you can't say that the surface contact on a round profile (clear tube) against any surface is the same as the flat surface of the Tilos plastic backs.

Now on the aesthetics... If I had an old pair of fins that look like the ones that you show in the picture I too would not care much on how the straps look.:smiley2:

Aussie
10-26-2007, 22:25
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/1/1/4/1/20071027172psLarge.jpg

This is how i attach my steel springs. They sit nice and flat against the fin. They did loosen one or twice with the buckle moving forward into the larger hole. Never come off tho.

Aussie

ianr33
10-27-2007, 06:35
These straps would not be my choice for 2 reasons:
1)The buckle can come off the post.I prefer straps where wire wraps around the post. (Between my wife and myself we have both types)
2)None of the plastic junk is needed. Why take a piece of gear that is a masterpiece of minimalism then add stuff to it ?

I am sure these will work just fine though.

MSilvia
10-27-2007, 07:35
placing a clear plastic tube as a buffer will not feel the same on your achillies tendon as a fully flat surface. I can direct you to structural surface tention calculations if youd like but you can't say that the surface contact on a round profile (clear tube) against any surface is the same as the flat surface of the Tilos plastic backs.
Actually, the tubes are pretty well flattened where they lie against my "Achilles tendon", which can more often accurately be described as my Achilles tendon covered by a wool sock covered by a neoprene soft boot covered by a canvas sneaker. Really, I don't feel much but well distributed pressure there, and that's nearly as true with just a neoprene wetsuit boot. I actually found the springs with tubing to be more comfortable than the factory standard fin straps, which do lie perfectly flat, and that's all the comparison that matters to me. I'm sure your tension calculations are endlessly fascinating, but I don't care what they say... I know how my fins feel, and IMHO they feel great!

Now on the aesthetics... If I had an old pair of fins that look like the ones that you show in the picture I too would not care much on how the straps look.:smiley2:Those fins aren't that old. After several hundred dives, your shiny new gear will look well used too, and what you value in gear aesthetics may change.

Flatliner
10-27-2007, 20:38
After several hundred dives, your shiny new gear will look well used too, and what you value in gear aesthetics may change.

Bada Bing...

coralcrazed
10-27-2007, 23:59
After several hundred dives, your shiny new gear will look well used too, and what you value in gear aesthetics may change.

Bada Bing...

THERE IS A FLAW IN THE TILOS!
Thats right, you guys are fully aware that I just purchased my brand spanking new and shiny gear, a fact that I'm stoked about. BUT, you know this as most of you actually helped me through the selection process. One of which was the Tilos stainless spring straps. The ones that this thread is dedicated to... I wanted to start this thread so that I could learn as much as I could about these sweet straps. AND I did!

Msilva, your DIY project helped me see the flaw in the Tilos... Its a very serious flaw. You see, I purchased these so that my fins never fall off on a dive. Something that actually happened to me once. Not a fun thing to have happen. Its not cool trying to fin with one leg through heavy current. The dive could have turned ugly... So, you missed the point... This thread was not about a DIY project, it was about me trying to learn more about the Tilos. It solved the very reason that I purchased the tilos for and one in which THE TILOS FAILS MISERABLY at. However, like I said its rubber backing is what I was most impressed with and still am. That part of the strap is still superior to any others that I've seen on the market.

Aussies solution is one that may solve this problem the Tilos has. Thank you for contributing and showing that fault and your solution. Prompts me to try and fix this problem with it... Perhaps just take off the stainless buckles and wrap the ends around the peg will be a simple solution of its failure. However, you can't take the strap off without a pair of pliers. I just purchased a dive suitcase and there is a pocket which fits the fins in. However the tilos make the fin a bit too long for this pocket and so I need these to come off easily when traveling. So, I have another idea I'm working on and will post it to the thread when I'm done. It should lock the tilos in place and yet allow me to take the strap off ONLY when I want to.

So, until than any other suggestions would be great to know! I'm not looking for people to show me thier DIY projects just suggest a good solution to the problem with the Tilos.

Thank you to all who have contributed to date as it made me realize that as nice as these straps are at first... They are unfortunatly NOT a good solution to stoping fins from falling off. A seriouse flaw!

Thanks in advance for any solution you may have.

Aussie
10-28-2007, 06:57

Bada Bing...

THERE IS A FLAW IN THE TILOS!
Thats right, you guys are fully aware that I just purchased my brand spanking new and shiny gear, a fact that I'm stoked about. BUT, you know this as most of you actually helped me through the selection process. One of which was the Tilos stainless spring straps. The ones that this thread is dedicated to... I wanted to start this thread so that I could learn as much as I could about these sweet straps. AND I did!

Msilva, your DIY project helped me see the flaw in the Tilos... Its a very serious flaw. You see, I purchased these so that my fins never fall off on a dive. Something that actually happened to me once. Not a fun thing to have happen. Its not cool trying to fin with one leg through heavy current. The dive could have turned ugly... So, you missed the point... This thread was not about a DIY project, it was about me trying to learn more about the Tilos. Even though your DIY is a crude solution it solved the very reason that I purchased the tilos for and one in which THE TILOS FAILS MISERABLY at. However, like I said its rubber backing is what I was most impressed with and still am. That part of the strap is still superior to any others that I've seen on the market.

Aussies solution is one that may solve this problem the Tilos has. Thank you for contributing and showing that fault and your solution. Prompts me to try and fix this problem with it... Perhaps just take off the stainless buckles and wrap the ends around the peg will be a simple solution of its failure. However, you can't take the strap off without a pair of pliers. I just purchased a dive suitcase and there is a pocket which fits the fins in. However the tilos make the fin a bit too long for this pocket and so I need these to come off easily when traveling. So, I have another idea I'm working on and will post it to the thread when I'm done. It should lock the tilos in place and yet allow me to take the strap off ONLY when I want to.

So, until than any other suggestions would be great to know! I'm not looking for people to show me thier DIY projects just suggest a good solution to the problem with the Tilos.

Thank you to all who have contributed to date as it made me realize that as nice as these straps are at first... They are unfortunatly NOT a good solution to stoping fins from falling off. A seriouse flaw!

Thanks in advance for any solution you may have.

Buy a bigger dive bag. Simple solution.:smiley2:

I have seen the same style steel spring with quick release buckles.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-113/012067/Innovative-Ez-Spring-Fin-Strap-Pair.html

These might be another option for you.
Personally I prefer my setup and I never take my springs off. But at $22.95 its worth a try. I am sure the boys from ST would be able to get their hands on something long the same lines.

Something to think about.

Aussie

ScubaToys Larry
10-28-2007, 07:03
We were not too impressed with the innovative ones... Tilos has them with clips as well and we stock those in all sizes: Tilos Spring Straps With Quick Release Buckles, Fins, Tilos, Tilos Spring Straps With Quick Release Buckles (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Tilos_Spring_Straps_QR)

But the plastic clips defeat the purpose for many that want springs. As far as failures, I've probably seen a lot more plastic clips break than I have rubber straps.

Aussie
10-28-2007, 07:47
We were not too impressed with the innovative ones... Tilos has them with clips as well and we stock those in all sizes: Tilos Spring Straps With Quick Release Buckles, Fins, Tilos, Tilos Spring Straps With Quick Release Buckles (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Tilos_Spring_Straps_QR)

But the plastic clips defeat the purpose for many that want springs. As far as failures, I've probably seen a lot more plastic clips break than I have rubber straps.

Thats the main purpose i didnt go with quick release.

Coral why do you want to take them off?
So that they can fit into your dive bag?

I have them on my Esclapez freediving fins and they fit into my dive bag (Just).

Aussie

coralcrazed
10-28-2007, 18:35

I would not say that these are a solution... ST sent me the plastic buckled ones above in error and ended up geting the stainless buckle replacements. Larry can correct me if I'm wrong but The plastic buckles DO NOT lock against the pin AND even if they do there is still a possability that they would simply break. The ultimate would be a stailess buckle that locks on the pin.

The bottom line the tilos stainless buckles dont lock on the pin and therefor could fall off. I am forsed to add a feature tht would hopefully create a locking solution to the SS buckles on the tilos.

The only company that I'm aware of that offers a more permanent method are the apollos but you have to cut the pin and fin as it is a permanent solution than you are unable to remove the fin.

coralcrazed
10-28-2007, 18:46

Thats the main purpose i didnt go with quick release.

Coral why do you want to take them off?
So that they can fit into your dive bag?

I have them on my Esclapez freediving fins and they fit into my dive bag (Just).

Aussie

Yes so they can fit into the dive bag... The suitcase bags that I have seen will not accomodate my mares quatros with the spring straps connected. Not easily anyway. I also placed my original rubber straps that came with my mares in my save a dive kit so I can switch then out if under the rare off chance that something happens with the tilos and i'm on vacation. So, yes I would like to have my straps still remove withou having to cut off a zip tie. I have a couple of possible ideas on paper but I need to find about 20 ga. Stainless steel rod. Home depot does not have it. They only have copper, anodized and galvanized. I will have to look on mcmastercarr... to get what I need to complete whay I'm doing. I may be able to achieve what I'm doing with a simple carabineer... we'll see!

ianr33
10-28-2007, 20:49
Get a pair of Jet Fins.They should be short enough to fit your bag.

Of course you will need another pair of spring straps to fit them...........

Charlotte Smith
10-28-2007, 21:58
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/1/1/4/1/20071027172psLarge.jpg

This is how i attach my steel springs. They sit nice and flat against the fin. They did loosen one or twice with the buckle moving forward into the larger hole. Never come off tho.

Aussie
Great Idea Aussie! We have plenty of those laying around and you have solved a problem for us ...thanks....

coralcrazed
10-29-2007, 10:17
I popped into Clark rubber one day. About 10 minutes latter I walked out with 6 newly minted, hand made rubber washers. After measuring the pin diameter, the chap made up a punch with an inner hole of 16mm in a 35mm washer.

Put the washers on the peg, put the straps over them, push down hard & pull the ss end into the correct position. The rubber is about 3.5mm thick & allows enough compression to keep the straps in place but still be reasonably easy to remove & replace.

I'v tried putting the straps on first, with the washers as retainers, but found this to be less secure.

These are on a set of Quattro Excels.

souds great... I would love to see a picture of it if you have the time to post it... I'm working on a solution to the problem and will post mine when I'm done. You figure that when you buy a darn product it whould just work as intended. Nope not with these. :smiley13:

CompuDude
10-29-2007, 13:18
Yes so they can fit into the dive bag... The suitcase bags that I have seen will not accomodate my mares quatros with the spring straps connected. Not easily anyway. I also placed my original rubber straps that came with my mares in my save a dive kit so I can switch then out if under the rare off chance that something happens with the tilos and i'm on vacation. So, yes I would like to have my straps still remove withou having to cut off a zip tie. I have a couple of possible ideas on paper but I need to find about 20 ga. Stainless steel rod. Home depot does not have it. They only have copper, anodized and galvanized. I will have to look on mcmastercarr... to get what I need to complete whay I'm doing. I may be able to achieve what I'm doing with a simple carabineer... we'll see!

I think you're overthinking this, unless I'm the one missing something.

My XL Jets don't fit well into the plastic tub I usually toss my gear into for beach dives... the spring straps, as you describe, are a hair too long.

So I stuffed the straps into the foot pocket. Problem solved. :smiley20:

RonFrank
10-29-2007, 13:46
Great Idea Aussie! We have plenty of those laying around and you have solved a problem for us ...thanks....

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately Aussie can't take full credit as Manta Straps come with... Drumroll... Zip Ties!

Zip ties are the Cat's meow for divers.

RonFrank
10-29-2007, 14:19
These straps would not be my choice for 2 reasons:
1)The buckle can come off the post.I prefer straps where wire wraps around the post. (Between my wife and myself we have both types)
2)None of the plastic junk is needed. Why take a piece of gear that is a masterpiece of minimalism then add stuff to it ?

I am sure these will work just fine though.

Manta supplies zip ties to ensure that the buckle does not work loose. However once they are on, the pressure on the spring will keep the fin on regardless unless the strap is too long.

The plastic junk is hardly a pitfall IMO. Most DIY'ers enclose the spring with a rubber hose. Having a pull ring is not going to be an entanglement hazard for most divers I find that the flat backed rubber covering is slightly more comfortable vs. the round rubber covering on my Manta's, but that is nit picking.

coralcrazed
10-29-2007, 14:26

My XL Jets don't fit well into the plastic tub I usually toss my gear into for beach dives... the spring straps, as you describe, are a hair too long.

So I stuffed the straps into the foot pocket. Problem solved. :smiley20:I just want to be able to lock the strap on the pin and still have them be removable. thats all. I wish they came that way already but I overlooked that fact.

CompuDude
10-29-2007, 14:40

So I stuffed the straps into the foot pocket. Problem solved. :smiley20:I just want to be able to lock the strap on the pin and still have them be removable. thats all. I wish they came that way already but I overlooked that fact.

All right, I'll buy that, but why do you need to remove them? None of my fins with spring straps (Thee total: BioFin XT-C, Jetfin with EZ Spring Straps, and OMS SlipStreams with ScubaPro spring straps) are removeable, and I've never once wished I could remove them, aside from needing to flip the straps to the inside of the foot pocket when my Jets go into the plastic tub.

RonFrank
10-29-2007, 14:51
I happen to think that the tubing that covers the spring in one monolythic piece IS far superior to others... But its still NOT the same. It just isn't. sorry!

Don't be sorry for having an opinion. :smiley2:

But the statement in bold above might carry more weight if you said why the Tilos straps are "Far Superior to others".

I thought having the pulls was something I'd miss when I got the Manta's, but not at all. It's easy to get ones fingers under the rubber without the pull tab.

I own and have dove a number of different makes of spring straps including friends DIY straps, and from a diving, doffing, and donning perspective, they all dive alike and serve the same function so what am I missing?

coralcrazed
10-29-2007, 16:06

All right, I'll buy that, but why do you need to remove them? None of my fins with spring straps (Thee total: BioFin XT-C, Jetfin with EZ Spring Straps, and OMS SlipStreams with ScubaPro spring straps) are removeable, and I've never once wished I could remove them, aside from needing to flip the straps to the inside of the foot pocket when my Jets go into the plastic tub.

Well, I think you answered your question. You too have a need to remove the fins but choose instead to tck it into the foot even if for that one time when you place your fins in the tub... right?

and you might be right. In the end I may never remove them... who knows but its nice if they work as intended

coralcrazed
10-29-2007, 16:23
I happen to think that the tubing that covers the spring in one monolythic piece IS far superior to others... But its still NOT the same. It just isn't. sorry!

Don't be sorry for having an opinion. :smiley2:

But the statement in bold above might carry more weight if you said why the Tilos straps are "Far Superior to others".

I thought having the pulls was something I'd miss when I got the Manta's, but not at all. It's easy to get ones fingers under the rubber without the pull tab.

I own and have dove a number of different makes of spring straps including friends DIY straps, and from a diving, doffing, and donning perspective, they all dive alike and serve the same function so what am I missing?

at the end of the day you are probably not missing anything... by the sound of the above. Its really all very simple. here is what I want in a spring strap: and this is just me. in no order

1. I want it to feel secure and tight to the anckle.
2. I want it to feel comfortable
3. I want to get my fins on and off easily
4. I want to be able to install it and be able to take it off when I need.
5. When its on I don't want it to come off the fin.

thats pretty much it! Its simple. IMHO I don't think that a tube or a bare spring will offer the comfort that a flat back has and you said it yourself a couple of threads ago and so too many others.

I guess the point is if you are going to have a buckle on a fin stap than have one without the possability of coming off and if the mantas or any other company has to give you a zip tie to lock it in than thats a flaw in the design of the buckle being solved by the use of a piece of plastic to lock it on. Is it not?

CompuDude
10-29-2007, 17:23
Well, I think you answered your question. You too have a need to remove the fins but choose instead to tck it into the foot even if for that one time when you place your fins in the tub... right?

and you might be right. In the end I may never remove them... who knows but its nice if they work as intended
Frankly, removing the straps never even crossed my mind. I used to simply shove them in the box, until I glanced at it one time and realized shoving them into the foot pocket was a more elegant method.

I'm still having trouble seeing how spring straps would stick out so much you couldn't close a fin pocket on a bag. I would just push in, since the straps are flexible, like I did before I started actually inverting the straps.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll get it working for you. Tinkering with gear is truly one of life's small pleasures. :)

coralcrazed
10-29-2007, 20:06

Frankly, removing the straps never even crossed my mind. I used to simply shove them in the box, until I glanced at it one time and realized shoving them into the foot pocket was a more elegant method.

I'm still having trouble seeing how spring straps would stick out so much you couldn't close a fin pocket on a bag. I would just push in, since the straps are flexible, like I did before I started actually inverting the straps.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll get it working for you. Tinkering with gear is truly one of life's small pleasures. :)
I know you are aware of the size of mares fins better than I am. the pocket its actually going into is too small to fit them both to the point that the ziper will not close all the way and somehow I don't think that walking through airoport with the ziper open would make much sense... do you? I tried what you said about turning the strap and that made it better but still could not close the zipper. Its designed for tropical fins that you wear bear foot. perhaps I should just buy a pair of those?

I guess it bugs me when something does not work as intended... It should just lock on without issue. But here we are.

Do I like tinkering. You bet tyah! But not with this no. Its a darn strap and I just wished it just go on and lock and thats it.

bperrybap
10-29-2007, 23:21
When I was selecting spring straps about 2 years ago,
the plate slipping off the mushroom post is the main
reason that I avoided the "pro" version of the after
market spring straps and went with the plastic quick
release ones. I was also worried that the thin metal would slice
the mushroom right off the fin.

The plastic ones really do "lock" on the post.
The receiver portion of the buckle by itself doesn't;
however, when the spring attached portion is plugged in,
it blocks the bigger hole opening used to install the clip
and thereby traps/locks the clip onto the post.
It cannot slip off like the all metal simple plate ones.

2 years, 7 dive trips, and 160 dives later, they are still
going strong and look just like when I bought them.
I've never had a clip accidentally come loose or come off either.

That being said....

I posted some alternatives to solving the problem
of the "pro" mounting plate slipping off the fin mushroom
post last year in this SB thread: (see post #5)
Keeping Spring Straps Attached (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/155475-how-do-i-keep-spring-straps-attached.html)

I think that simplest solution is the O-ring retainer
noted on the Manta Web page. O-ring Retainer (http://www.mantaind.com/fin_straps/atomic.htm)

Larry: You should look into offering these O-rings for
people that are concerned about straps coming off.

For a more permanent solution, I'd swap out the mounting
plate with a stainless shackle. I forget the exact size but
I have sized it and it can be purchased at HomeDepot or
Lowes.

While I think there are better alternatives,
for those that want to use stainless wire to "wire" them
on, Harbor Freight has what you want:
Stainless Lock Wire (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33367)

--- bill

coralcrazed
10-30-2007, 08:43
Bill,

Thank you for posting! you just gave me some good ideas fo me to try.

one question... what is a stainless shackel???

I see I'm not the only one having this issue!

coralcrazed
10-30-2007, 08:47
is this them?
stainless shackle - Google Image Search (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rls=SNYI,SNYI:2005-40,SNYI:en&resnum=0&q=stainless+shackle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)

MSilvia
10-30-2007, 08:52
Its designed for tropical fins that you wear bear foot. perhaps I should just buy a pair of those?
It seems a bit backward to me to buy dive gear to suit your luggage rather than luggage to suit your dive gear. Perhaps you just need a bag with a bigger pocket?

There's an Akona roller bag that accomodated my Mares fins with spring straps attached. It was tight, but they did fit. Of course, another option would be to just put your fins in the bag and use the pocket for something else instead.

BSea
10-30-2007, 09:03
Its designed for tropical fins that you wear bear foot. perhaps I should just buy a pair of those?
It seems a bit backward to me to buy dive gear to suit your luggage rather than luggage to suit your dive gear. Perhaps you just need a bag with a bigger pocket?

There's an Akona roller bag that accomodated my Mares fins with spring straps attached. It was tight, but they did fit. Of course, another option would be to just put your fins in the bag and use the pocket for something else instead.
I agree. Most fin pockets seem to be a tight fit regarless of the fin. My latest gear bag (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Akona226DuffelBag) doesn't have fin pockets.

Plus if you ever get into a place with current, you'll never take those foot fins along again.

bperrybap
10-30-2007, 13:14
is this them?
stainless shackle - Google Image Search (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rls=SNYI,SNYI:2005-40,SNYI:en&resnum=0&q=stainless+shackle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)

Yep. Thats them.

If you use them instead of the supplied plate,
keep in mind that the springs will get tighter or may not be
long enough as the shackles will move the location
of the pins that the springs wrap around forward since
they are shorter than the original plates.

As far as luggage goes, I don't mess with the specialized gear bags.
I shop the local Asian luggage markets (usually Sam Moon).
The one I've used on 5 dive trips and its still going strong
was a $30 30 inch roller duffle.
Recently I needed an extra bag for a longer 3 week Bali/wakatobi trip.
It was a whopping $11.

--- bill

coralcrazed
10-30-2007, 13:23
easy guys! I was kidding about the foot fins. I will never give up my Mares. never!

this was a good line:
"buy dive gear to suit your luggage rather than luggage to suit your dive gear"

actually! I wont be doing either... I will be improving the Tilos design so that it works... Just ordered 1/8" X 24" 303 stainless steel rod to make a simple buckle lock. It should be here by end of week. the holes are already drilled on the Tilos. :)

MSilvia
10-30-2007, 13:33
Cool! You'll have to post a picture with your fix when it's done.

coralcrazed
10-30-2007, 13:39
is this them?

Yep. Thats them.

If you use them instead of the supplied plate,
keep in mind that the springs will get tighter or may not be
long enough as the shackles will move the location
of the pins that the springs wrap around forward since
they are shorter than the original plates.

As far as luggage goes, I don't mess with the specialized gear bags.
The one I've used on 5 dive trips and its still going strong
was a $30 30 inch roller duffle.
Recently I needed an extra bag for a longer 3 week Bali/wakatobi trip.
It was a whopping $11.

--- bill

Bill, yup I kinda figured that they would pull of the spring too tightly but that is the best solution to the problem that I have seen to date... That is if the springs was loose for you... the shackles would tighten it all up. Not the case for me though... But - thank you for sharing.

coralcrazed
10-30-2007, 13:41
Cool! You'll have to post a picture with your fix when it's done.

I will... thank you for the inspiration for DIY...:smiley20:

RonFrank
10-30-2007, 13:41
When I was selecting spring straps about 2 years ago,
the plate slipping off the mushroom post is the main
reason that I avoided the "pro" version of the after
market spring straps and went with the plastic quick
release ones. I was also worried that the thin metal would slice
the mushroom right off the fin.

I think that simplest solution is the O-ring retainer
noted on the Manta Web page. O-ring Retainer (http://www.mantaind.com/fin_straps/atomic.htm)

Manta ships their spring straps with Zip ties. They work.

The thin metal is not sharp, and will not slice the fin post.

So are folks issues due to real experience, or from looking online?

I have the Manta straps, and after installing the zip ties, they don't come off. I've only done 20 or so dives with the Manta's, but I know others that use them without issue, many without the zip ties. It kinda depends on the post, some seem to be slightly larger/smaller than other manufactures.

No one diving I know seems to be having the issues getting discussed here?

FYI, if one is going to modify their fins, make sure to use 316 grade steel. Also don't mix Alum, and steel.

coralcrazed
10-30-2007, 15:18
interesting... I only did a pool dive with the Tilos and the buckles are already digging thier way into the pin a bit. Would they go all the way through? nah, highly unlikely and if they start to you would catch it befor they go all the way through but they do make an indentation on the pin.

You should always use the same grade stainless together and thats right aluminum and steel will cause degredation by galvanic reaction as the two metals touch each other. You are right... I will be getting 316 steel, thank you.

-Zip ties do work well to lock the buckle but you have to cut it when you want to remove the strap.
-Stainless shackles will do a great job but only if you need to tighten up the springs on the straps. They will make the starps too tight otherwise.
-The rubber washer will also work as you can remove them easily and they will hold the buckle locked on the pin.

The above are all great solutions that work and also cheap however, for the cost of the washers needed I can do something that will be a permanent part of the buckle component, so why not... Right? it will allow me to easily remove it when I want, and when locked, its locked with no way for it to come off. Also some other added benefit will be making the buckle sit in a correct position on the pin when not in use. so well see if it all works out as planned :)

coralcrazed
11-03-2007, 23:18
just finished my upgrade... now, how doI upload the pictures for all to see?

ScubaToys Larry
11-04-2007, 07:07
Just hit reply, then scroll down a bit. There is a button that says managage attachments... that will walk you through it!

coralcrazed
11-04-2007, 20:26
Alright... the following is my 2007 copyright version - patent pending of a lock for SS fin straps :smiley20: and... I'm calling it "The Buckle-Lock" :smiley2:

If interested this is my solution to the Tilos and all SS strap shortfall on the market today:

step #1 drill holes @ 1/8" diam.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/step1-drillholes.jpg

step #2 cut Stainless Steel rods type 316 to size
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/step2-cutrodstosize.jpg

step #3 bend to this simple shape
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/step3-bendtoshape.jpg

step #4 insert "The Buckle-Lock" into holes drilled
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/step4-insertbuckle.jpg

"The Buckle-Lock" inserted
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/buckleinserted.jpg

picture of "The Buckle-Lock" open on pin
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/buckleopen2.jpg

picture of "The Buckle-Lock" locked on pin
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/buckleclosed.jpg

Overall this was a super easy way to permanently fix the shortfall on the Tilos buckle and still allow anyone to remove the straps with ease. There is absolutely no reason that this simple device not be implemented into the manufacturing process of every stainless steel buckle on the market today IMHO.

Now, please let me know whatcha think! thanks

CompuDude
11-04-2007, 23:42
Color me impressed. Great mod!

Aussie
11-05-2007, 04:24
Better get a patent on it before someone else does!

Aussie

Silverlode
11-05-2007, 07:01
Really cool. Too bad my feet's too small for manufactured spring straps... I'd have to DIY, except I'd decided to get the Mares ABS locking fins buckles to try first. DIY a last resort for me.

coralcrazed
11-05-2007, 09:32
Heres the second version also under same 2007 copyright ...patent pending! :smiley20:

:smiley31:introducing "The Buckle-Lock 2".

2nd version
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/critters/2ndversion.jpg

In the open position
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/critters/2ndversionopen.jpg

In the closed position
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/critters/2ndversionclosed.jpg

Close up
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/critters/2ndversionclosed2.jpg

the two designs side by side
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/CORALCRAZED2004/critters/bothdesigns.jpg

So- let me know what you think... all I can say the second one really locks on. There is no way its coming off! :smiley9:

CompuDude
11-05-2007, 10:18
Really cool. Too bad my feet's too small for manufactured spring straps... I'd have to DIY, except I'd decided to get the Mares ABS locking fins buckles to try first. DIY a last resort for me.

PM WaywardSon at ScubaBoard. He custom makes them, and his straps are very well-regarded.

CompuDude
11-05-2007, 10:18
Version 2 rocks, also. I may have to convince you to sell me a pair or two, since I'm buying some Quattros for my wife. :)

coralcrazed
11-05-2007, 10:26
Version 2 rocks, also. I may have to convince you to sell me a pair or two, since I'm buying some Quattros for my wife. :)
:) stay tuned... they are coming!

bperrybap
11-05-2007, 15:18

Aussie

The idea has been disclosed publicly, so patents, unless already filed,
are probably out of the question. The good news is that since both
methods/versions have been disclosed, no manufacturer could patent
it either due to prior art and now both product ideas are freely available to all
the manufacturers.

Perhaps a few well placed emails to manufacturers could get the ball
rolling on getting them to make this standard on their products.

--- bill

Silverlode
11-05-2007, 15:36

PM WaywardSon at ScubaBoard. He custom makes them, and his straps are very well-regarded.

Thanks. Will do if my abs locking thingy does not work as expected. Waiting for it to arrive tomorrow/Thursday. Will have to try out during diving, probably Dec .:smiley13: However, handy to know there's an alternative. Hopefully he will post them overseas.

Silverlode
11-05-2007, 15:39
Heres the second version also under same 2007 copyright ...patent pending! :smiley20:

So- let me know what you think... all I can say the second one really locks on. There is no way its coming off! :smiley9:

Looks good! :smiley32: Just wondering how it looks locked on.
What about version 3 with the top bit concave instead so that it curve round the post? :smiley2:

coralcrazed
11-05-2007, 15:40
The idea/art and intellectual property is mine and any manufacturer who would like to implement this is more than welcome to contact me :)

If anyone is interested in the acurate interpretation and process of getting a US patent for a product you can find it here:
United States Patent and Trademark Office Home Page (http://www.uspto.gov/index.html)#

here is info for the US copyright office:
U.S. Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov/)

coralcrazed
11-05-2007, 17:08

Aussie

it either due to prior art and now both product ideas are freely available to all
the manufacturers.

--- bill
This is not correct. Refer to the above links FYI.

coralcrazed
11-05-2007, 19:36

Looks good! :smiley32: Just wondering how it looks locked on.
What about version 3 with the top bit concave instead so that it curve round the post? :smiley2:

Sure, I suppose there could be a million and one design/variations to "the buckle lock"... However, The unique "IDEA" here "IS"... that it locks on the fins pin not allowing it to fall off while on a dive and yet is easily removable and NOT permanent. That is the premise of this product improvement as discussed previously on this thread. :smiley2:

I posted a photo of what it looks like locked onto the pin. Let me know if you don't see it?

Silverlode
11-05-2007, 19:57
My bad. Must have missed those two photos when I clicked on the links. Looks good!

bperrybap
11-06-2007, 02:57

Aussie

the manufacturers.

--- bill
This is not correct. Refer to the above links FYI.

Drifting way off topic....
I've been through the patent process about a dozen times.
Its been 7-8 years since I've filed anything but, from from what
I recall, as far as patent filing dates and timing goes, it is more than just a
US patent law issue. The US tends to be more liberal
than some other countries of the world. Some countries do not
automatically accept US patents and some do not allow
patenting inventions after the idea has been publicly disclosed or
offered for sale.

So, assuming the US did grant a patent on a disclosed invention, a foreign
country may not honor it or even allow patenting in their country because of
the inventors disclosure. Because of this, a multi-national or foreign company
can legally manufacture the product royalty free in that foreign country.
Once it is manufactured, it can also be sold outside the US royalty free
and no patents have been violated or laws broken.
Companies like Microsoft are using this mechanism to get out of paying
certain USA ONLY patent royalties when windows is sold outside the US.
They "manufacture" the product outside the US and sell it outside the
US where the "USA ONLY" patents don't apply.

Any potential royalties would only come into play for USA-ONLY patents
for products imported and re-sold in the US or products manufactured
inside the US.

Assuming the US market is the biggest market for a product, a USA only
patent may be good enough. For the products I was dealing with, it wasn't.

Realistically, there are so many sales channels and mechanisms available
to companies and consumers that it can become quite expensive
and difficult if not impossible to track down and prevent importation of the
product that is not properly paying US patent royalties.

On a low volume, low royalty product it can quickly begin to cost more
to defend the patent than the royalty stream returns.
(Just ask Larry about his ScubaTool).

So while technically I agree with you that a patent could possibly be
filed and even accepted and issued for a disclosed invention, it would
potentially be a US only patent and some countries would not
(and rightfully so) honor it, since the rules for patent application
in their country were not met.

This is why I believe, it is always best to file any potential patents
on inventions prior to any public disclosure.

--- bill

bperrybap
11-06-2007, 03:28
BTW, I really love the fin strap keeper idea. It is truly the type of
simple/crisp idea that is worthy of a patent and should return some kind
of monetary value or royalty stream back to the inventor when it is used in a
commercial product.

Having been through the patent process, and through several patent lawsuits
and settlements (both sides) with ATT, Verizon, IBM, and others, it saddens
me to see how the patent system is being used today. It is no longer a
protection mechanism for the little guys. Patents are now being used as
offensive weapons by the big guys against potential competitors.
(maybe they always were and I was simply foolishly naive)

The process has gotten so expensive to complete, is so slow,
and the patent office is issuing patents for so much junk these days,
(especially in the tech world) that its really difficult or impossible for the little
guy to participate.

--- bill

Aussie
11-06-2007, 07:12
I like version 2 the best.

Good work Coral, Can I swap some cable ties for your verison two bits?

Aussie

robanna
11-06-2007, 11:04
I just found this s-hook biner (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96761)
If it fits, it might make a removable option to the s-hook.
I'll check them out and let you know.

coralcrazed
11-06-2007, 11:28
bperrybap...

Thank you for all of the information that you have offered. I'm glad that you acknowledged the fact that this is off topic. It is...

However, I will say that there are many advantages of posting publicly having done it both ways myself :) like dating and documenting the process RIGHT? and there is a statue of limitation or time limit that someone can file a US patent on a product :) So in this way if your invention is "original" and you get a patent than you CAN get a patent and be due royalties if someone copies it. PMed you... Thanks

coralcrazed
11-06-2007, 12:00
I like version 2 the best.

Good work Coral, Can I swap some cable ties for your verison two bits?

Aussie

Thank you for the compliment... I happen to agree with you but there is also something nice about the simplicity of the first one also.

MSilvia
11-07-2007, 10:49
Nice design! I like the version 2 myself.

coralcrazed
11-21-2007, 23:43
Just thought of puting this out there. I'm hoping someone can help. I'm looking for a list of companies which produce the stainless steel fin spring straps talked about here. I know of three myself...

1. Tilos
2. Manta
3. Innovative

anyone else produce them that you know of? thanks

CompuDude
11-22-2007, 12:06
Just thought of puting this out there. I'm hoping someone can help. I'm looking for a list of companies which produce the stainless steel fin spring straps talked about here. I know of three myself...

1. Tilos
2. Manta
3. Innovative

XS Scuba
ScubaPro
Halcyon
OMS
Atomic
Apollo
Blue Reef

... and probably a number of others!

coralcrazed
11-22-2007, 14:08
awsome,,, working to try to get this mod. implemented into the market.

Thanks

coralcrazed
11-22-2007, 14:11

1. Tilos
2. Manta
3. Innovative

XS Scuba
ScubaPro
Halcyon
OMS
Atomic
Apollo
Blue Reef

... and probably a number of others!

just checked thos and either I could not find stainless steel buckleson thier web sites or they manufacture oter straps with plastic buckles. If you remember any others please let me know...

CompuDude
11-22-2007, 23:03
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood... you asked for stainless steel spring straps, not specifying that you were looking for those with stainless steel buckle sections.

I can't think of any others that would have buckles like that. None of my fins use that type.