PDA

View Full Version : OW course price

Ash0r
10-03-2007, 22:18
I am curious, what did you all pay for your open water class?

I have a couple shops in my area. After I got the price for the closest one, I decided to shop around some and I found the price to vary quite a bit. I see that ST has the open water for $245 which is even $50 less than the cheaper class I found.

:smiliez.de_2125:

fire diver
10-03-2007, 22:37
Yes, class costs vary HUGELY for different regions, and even within the same city. MY suggestion would be to talk to other divers in your area. Find out what instructor does the best job. Don't get caught up in the agency name game. The cert company is just a name on a card. Find a good instructor to teach you right. The best class MAY NOT be the cheapest or fastest, but sometimes you might be surprised.

So where exactly are you located? Lots of folks here who may be able to give more local advice.

FD

rfreddo
10-03-2007, 22:50
When comparing prices, don't forget the "add ons" like entry fees to the lake / park, etc. where you will be doing your certification dives, if applicable, cost of air refills that you will need during your cert dives, travel time / cost to get to your cert dives, etc., etc., etc.

Also, if you haven't bought personal gear yet, many LDS will give you a special rate on the gear, the class or both if you purchase your personal gear and the course though them.

Lots of variables. Make sure you compare apples to apples. I definitely agree with the logic of finding an instructor you can work with rather than buying the cheapest course.

Good luck!

subsur
10-03-2007, 23:05
$350 including EVERYTHING (pool sessions, book, mask, wetsuit, bc, fins etc etc). equipment was not mine to keep. the price is discounted because i did it though the school and there is a deal between the shop and the school.

Dive-aholic
10-03-2007, 23:09
Like rfreddo said, make sure you compare what you're getting for the price. I paid $199 and got in during a buy one get one free deal. All that paid for was the classroom and pool sessions, though. Then we had to pay $200 each for the checkout dive trip and $50 each for rental gear (if we hadn't already bought our own). So the course ended up costing us $350 each, plus a 7 hour drive into Mexico and back. Some shops will also charge you extra for the certification card once you complete the class. My sister had to pay extra for the referral paperwork so she could do the checkout dives during her honeymoon and the checkout dives were already included in the original course fee!!

Cojrock
10-04-2007, 00:03
I payed about $US 50 for mine, including a two day trip to a nice resort to do the OW stuff, tho thats because our school(thru the government) did a 90% subsidy as i was in an outdoor education class at the time. Best class i ever did at school :)

Ash0r
10-04-2007, 00:32
So where exactly are you located? Lots of folks here who may be able to give more local advice.

FD

I have already contacted all the dive shops within driving distance and got their prices. I did not choose the cheapest one. Out of the 4 that I contacted it was the second cheapest at 300.

somewhereinla
10-04-2007, 00:35
I think I remember paying $350 for mine.

greyzen
10-04-2007, 01:21

FD

I have already contacted all the dive shops within driving distance and got their prices. I did not choose the cheapest one. Out of the 4 that I contacted it was the second cheapest at 300.
Dive shops aren't the only places that give lessons... lots of independent instructors who don't work directly for dive shops :)

TxScubaBear
10-04-2007, 07:50
Don't necessarily go for "cheap"- as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Have any friends into diving? See what their thoughts are- it's not a matter of price of agency certifying you- from personal experience it's the quality of the instructor who is guiding and teaching you. You can get a "cheap" experience at $200, but again- a year later will you remember some things the instructor tried to ingrain in you? Same for more expensive- to me, it all falls on your instructors/DM's. Some places here have AOW for as high as $350; ST had a special a month ago and I bet in a year I'll still remember the things Alan and Mack and Greg taught and reinforced to us-ask around before making the plunge. You want to come out of this knowing you've gained a wealth of knowledge and more importantly- if something goes wrong, confidence in knowing that "hey, I can do this, I remember what I was taught".
Thus endeth the sermon...

gtjason2000
10-04-2007, 08:28
It costs $189 at my lds with mask,snorkel,fin purchase. You also have to rent air and gear for the lake weekend and pay lake entry fees but rental is half off for classes. My lds I think has some of the best prices for training but not so much the dive gear or vacations.

Zenagirl
10-04-2007, 08:58
We paid $350 for ours, but that included 2 boat charters for our OW dives. Didn't include books and personal dive gear (mask, snorkel, fins), but did include all other gear including wetsuits.

Prices are often better in resort areas (we did ours on Maui) and we simply lucked out with a fabulous instructor. We had 6 people in our class for the bookwork and "confined" portion, but the 4 others bailed for the first 2 OW dives, so we had private instruction for all 4 of our OW dives. :D

mulefeathers
10-04-2007, 09:01
Our only LDS offers 3 different packages. $250 for a 6 day class Tuesday and Thursday evening for 3 weeks. 4 of those spent in the pool. $285 for a semi private class that is 2-3 people that runs all day on a Saturday and 1/2 a day on Sunday. The 3rd is $335 for a completely private class in any pool you choose.

You are responsible to to purchase personal gear ( mask booties fins snorkel weights and weight belt ) and if you buy them from the shop you can use all other equipment free of charge.

The other part it is that if within 12 months you purchase BC 1st & 2nd stage and octo they will refund the price of the class against the purchase price.

jwdizney
10-04-2007, 09:40
we did our through a non-LDS PADI certified training group. $225.00 including gear.. there were comparable price options with LDS's, but the quality of instruction and attention was our deciding factor (actually, DISNEYMOM did all the research, and she made a very wise decision!!).. after going through the class, and hearing about the other classes, I'm glad we put quality of instruction in front of price!....

DivingsInMyBlood
10-04-2007, 09:51
I see alot of great prices here, i think i paid nearly $500 canadian up here for my OW, they just overcharge for everything up here. I hope it all changes due to how strong the canadian doller is compared to the U.S doller. If things stay the same I'm going to be shopping for a bit more gear from ST after christmas has cleared up. Any book up here cost like almost 40 per cent more just because its in canada (they all had a U.S price on them too, now the stores are trying to take them all off so people dont pay in U.S dollers).

Charles R
10-04-2007, 10:22
I paid 250 with evrything except rental gear that would have been another 50 but I had my own gear!:smiley2:

robanna
10-04-2007, 10:24
I did mine while I was in college as part of PE and it didn't cost anything (above the regular tuition). and the $60 for the check out dive if I remember (it was a long time ago).

WV Diver
10-04-2007, 10:48
$250.00 is about the going price for an OW course in this area and $300 if there is traveling to another town/city by the instructor involved. I paid much less and all the gear was included but I was lucky...............circumstances at the time.

The shop I am with now would very much like for you to have your own, and preferably buy from them, your mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit. I'm not sure what the rental costs are for the rest of the gear.

When I signed my wife and several other students up, arranged the pool and meeting place for classroom work and DMed for the class I was able to get hers for $150.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
10-04-2007, 11:01
Not that it will help you much but I need the posts!!! I paid $300 for mine. I had to buy my own mask, fins, snorkel for an additional $200. I had already purchased the PADI Crew-Pak for $90. The $300 included classroom, pool time, and checkout dives, although I did need to rent tanks and wetsuit for the checkouts and pay $20 per day at the quarry.

Grand total for me was $640

Clanggedin
10-04-2007, 12:03
Here in Utah the local consensus has been $225 - $250, but I just found a dive shop that will certify for $189, if you sign up with a buddy, then it's $175 and you have to buy your own m/s/f. The OW tests with all of the shops take you to the crater (naturally heated undergound pond) and it's $22 each day for your OW sessions. So, $175 + 44 = $219. If you certify in the Spring then you can go to Blue Lake and not have to pay the extra $44.

If you are a scout group then it's $175 pp and they loan you M/S/F. They are 5 star PADI too.

Vercingetorix
10-04-2007, 12:23
Took OW at ScubaToys:

1) Personal gear required: mask, snorkel, fins, boots

2) Tuition: $250. Includes instruction, classroom, pool, book, checkout dives (5), all gear (other than personal), cert card

3) Scuba Park entry: $20 pr day, 2 days, $40

4) Air at Park: $8 per tank, 4 tanks over two days, $32

5) Gas expense to Park: $12 per day, 2 days, $24

6) Feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment: Priceless

Ash0r
10-04-2007, 16:57

FD

Dive shops aren't the only places that give lessons... lots of independent instructors who don't work directly for dive shops :)

Ya know...I had not even considered finding instruction outside of a shop. The whole reason I started this thread is that the first shop I went into was nearly $500 per person. My wife and I are both taking the class and I was not really keen on paying $1000 just for the instruction. It was something like $400 for the class + $50 for the instructional books/videos and $25 for a log book.

CaribbeanDiver
10-04-2007, 17:09
$250 for the classroom and pool sessions, including books, DVD, etc. Then $300 for the checkout dives that included 2 tank boat dive and 2 dives at a spring in Florida. Tanks and air included.
Around $150 more if you include the hotel for the checkout weekend and meals, travel, etc.
so grand total around $700.
but then I did nitrox and AOW at a resort for a grand total price of $250. so high on one, cheap on the other, it all evens out.

rje634
10-04-2007, 17:20
At my Dive shop these are the prices, you must have your own mask,snorkel, fins, and booties. Weight and belt as well I believe.

Costs:
Traditional Open Water academics and confined water training $189
Executive Open Water academics and confined water training $249 (this is a intensive weekend course)
PADI Open Water Book Package or CD-ROM Package (add $9.00) $ 59

Also the open water experience dives are $189 for the weekend plus $49 for all the rental equipment.
Or you do referral dive elsewhere...

Don't cheap out on your training, remember that you get what you pay for...

Dark Wolf
10-04-2007, 19:03
I didn't go with the cheapest, and considering the quality that I got I should have! I ended up paying well over $300 plus an extra $75 for the checkout dives. After the fact, I found out that I could have gotten certified for $200 and not had to pay the extra for the check-out dives. So my point is.............price does not = quality. Take everyone elses advice and talk to the instructor. That is the only way to know.......maybe.

DW

tremtech
10-04-2007, 20:03
$300 OW, $145 EAN, $245 AOW, $240 Rescue.$600 Divemaster(in progress) W/Books. Gear was included but I used my own after OW just there air

Dive-aholic
10-04-2007, 21:24
Ya know...I had not even considered finding instruction outside of a shop. The whole reason I started this thread is that the first shop I went into was nearly $500 per person. My wife and I are both taking the class and I was not really keen on paying $1000 just for the instruction. It was something like $400 for the class + $50 for the instructional books/videos and $25 for a log book.

Where are you located? It's not always an easy task finding independents. My wife and I are independents. We aren't listed in the phone book. We don't advertise other than signs on our vehicles. We basically operate through word of mouth. Check out this page (http://www.chipoladivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=82). Scroll to the bottom for a breakdown of costs for our open water course. It includes everything you'll need to purchase. Use it to gauge what others (shops and independents) are asking you to pay for. We estimate that it will cost you between $500-600 per person for a course with us, maybe more if you want better gear, subtract one manual from the cost since you and your wife will be able to share one.

Scuba Steve
10-04-2007, 22:14
I believe I paid $325, including a week of rentals and air. I had found pricing with other LDS' starting from $299 but I liked the fact that the LDS I chose is 1 block from the beach and they teach surf entry and exit. The surf entry and exit training made the course well worth the price. It's not exactly as simple as it looks.

Additionally, It was a bonus to find that they also trained my group for simple rescue, emergency ascent and boat entry and exit (although the boat entry and exit training was done in a pool vs. a real boat).

BobArnold8265
10-05-2007, 11:46
The going rate in my area seems to be $250.

reservecops
10-05-2007, 12:26
[quote=Ash0r;67550]Dive shops aren't the only places that give lessons... lots of independent instructors who don't work directly for dive shops :)My instructors were (are) not affliated with any particular dive shop. They used to work through this one shop, but told me that the now work on their own because the only difference between working for a shop and for yourself is that many shops (contractually) require their dive instructors to hawk the equipment the shops sells to their students.

rfreddo
10-05-2007, 12:39
That's a good point about instructors hawking their LDS's equipment line. Interestingly, I did my OW class through Scuba Toys and didn't experience any push whatsoever towards any particular lines of equipment. We talked about the pros and cons of various set ups (e.g. octo-inflator vs. separate octo, split fins versus blade, clear mask skirt vs. black, back inflate vs. jacket, etc.), but nothing manufacturer specific.

Maybe that's because the culture of ST is low pressure, maybe it's because ST carries most of the major lines and maybe, but I hope not, I just got my instructor and DM in trouble!

Dive-aholic
10-05-2007, 19:39
Most shops are smaller and not as wise in business ways and have to require their instructors to push their line. That's also one reason I'm not affiliated with a shop any more. They wanted me to use the gear that made them the most money even though I thought it was substandard gear. Now I can just provide my opinion on a variety of gear. ST doesn't just do business locally. If they wanted to stop teaching and just sell gear on the 'net, they would still be in business.

Flatliner
10-05-2007, 20:16
My class was the least expensive of the two options in my area BUT the class portion was an amway (actually an Aqualung) sales presentation. I still got a card and the pool and OW stuff was great but the classroom was an insulting waste of my time. I agree, get opinions from former students and base your decision on that.

greyzen
10-05-2007, 21:49
Honestly though cost is a factor, I really do have to kind of step in here and remind people that in a lot of cases, you get what you pay for.

Now, I'm not saying you should just throw caution to the wind, but be mindful of what you are getting with your discounted rate.

Research the instructor first, figure out what comes with your instructions second, THEN worry about how much it will run you.

I've found in my professional life, everyone will haggle, if they want your business. If the LDS says "That's how much it costs" I'm sure you can find ways to reduce the price even if it's slight. You would be amazed how many 'discounts' can be worked into a high margin item. If they say "Hey man, I can't control that'. Speak to who can.
If they can't work with you on the price, you are either being unreasonable (they got to make a living too), or they don't want your business.

Ask about ways to bundle together certain items, for example I was given free gear rental and airfills for my AOW if I bought my AOW class right after my OW was completed.
If you are walking in and have never bought from them before, don't expect them to just give you 50% off one a single purchased item. If you walk in and purchase: BCD, reg, wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel, knife, dive lights x2, logbook, OW class, AOW class, Dive Bag, then if you don't ask for a discount... it's your fault.

chace_nicole
10-06-2007, 21:22
$125 for books & pool training...home study.
$75 for lake dives & rental gear
$75 travel cost (gas, hotel, food)...so total....$275

Dive-aholic
10-06-2007, 22:33
greyzen, I've come across shops that won't give discounts even if you buy half the inventory of the store. These same shops are in the red during the winter months and the owners can't even pay themselves. Some people just don't get it.

chace, was this a special deal or the LDS's usual price? How much time did you get in the pool and how long were each of your dives?

chace_nicole
10-07-2007, 18:04
greyzen, I've come across shops that won't give discounts even if you buy half the inventory of the store. These same shops are in the red during the winter months and the owners can't even pay themselves. Some people just don't get it.

chace, was this a special deal or the LDS's usual price? How much time did you get in the pool and how long were each of your dives?

Long story short, I paid about a yr before I started the OW course so prices went up a little. Current price is $145 for independent study and pool time. Still $75 for the lake dives. I got 3 nights (2 hrs each) in the pool, most people only do 2 nights in the pool but I had problems clearing my mask at 1st so they told me I could come to the pool as many nights as needed until I felt comfortable enough to go the the lake for check out dives.

1st day lake dives were about 30min each
2nd day lake dives were 50min & 25min

Dive-aholic
10-08-2007, 20:19
Thanks for the reply! 4 hours isn't a lot of time to prepare you for open water dives, but I understand the pricing now. With only 2 students I usually spend close to 3 times that amount of time in confined water work

chace_nicole
10-09-2007, 00:43
wow! that is quite a bit more pool time. I felt comfortable for the most part with the lake dives. Once, during OW dives, I was in very shallow water coming towards the shore on a navigation practice and could not stay underwater. I assumed it was from air still in my bc so I put my inflator hose above my head trying to let air out, but it did not seem that any air was coming out. Even tried dipping my opposite shoulder down. Practice, practice, practice.
I feel lucky though, because every week, our local community college offers "scuba tuesday" for $3, where certified divers can come & use the pool (shallow & dive pool that goes to 18ft). I plan on taking advantage of that to gain more practice.

~Chace

kyfriedchipper
10-09-2007, 00:52
Think mine were $175 or so for course/pool work. Then an additional $250 for the open water/cert dives.

Dive-aholic
10-09-2007, 11:55
wow! that is quite a bit more pool time. I felt comfortable for the most part with the lake dives. Once, during OW dives, I was in very shallow water coming towards the shore on a navigation practice and could not stay underwater. I assumed it was from air still in my bc so I put my inflator hose above my head trying to let air out, but it did not seem that any air was coming out. Even tried dipping my opposite shoulder down. Practice, practice, practice.
I feel lucky though, because every week, our local community college offers "scuba tuesday" for $3, where certified divers can come & use the pool (shallow & dive pool that goes to 18ft). I plan on taking advantage of that to gain more practice.

~Chace

The average that I've seen is 8-12 hours with 8-12 students at most shops. Personally, I don't think that's enough time for so many students. Like you said, it's all about practice. Sure you can go do an open water dive and have that last 30 minutes because or air or you can stay in the pool for 90 minutes on the same tank because the shallower depth allows it. Besides, a shallow depth is the best place to practice buoyancy skills. If you can master buoyancy there, then you should have no problems at any depth. Take advantage of that scuba tuesday.

Charlotte Smith
10-09-2007, 12:05
We paid 375.00 but he provided us with a special class for just four of us, provided all the gear and the boat for all of the dives, we did our class work every night for a week at his own home and worked extra hours with my husband on his mask flooding (HEHE), he had a DM and his wife who was ready for her instructor course there to help so we really learned everything forwards and backwards which made it a great experience.

abcitydiver
10-10-2007, 12:27
I got my OW in Cozumel from a rather well respected instructor associated with a LDS.
We got: personal instruction for two.
Three days of class/semi-confined beach water ( 5 hrs each day)
Two days of two tank dives, including boat, tanks etc (everything)
Padi instruction material
$350 each.
(cost of round trip air: $475, cost of hotel: $70/night)
And a verbal gaurantee that they would work with us as long as it took to get certified.

BoomerNJ
10-10-2007, 12:51
I paid $330 for the pool & classroom portion (included all books & equip., except m/f/s) then another $250 for the ow dives at a quarry, plus $52 dollars for 2 days admission to the quarry. I think I kinda got ripped off a little. On the other hand I had an incredible instructor that I learned a ton from so in the end, it was worth it...

Bring the Payne
10-14-2007, 15:09
I paid 225 for everything which included gear rental but I had mine already. Got my AOW from the same shop for $100...both certs are NAUI.

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 15:14
$150.00. All gear except mask, fins and snorkel provided. Included materials for use, but you had to purchase them if you wanted to keep them after the class. Also if you wanted a PADI card it was an extra $30 I think. ISEA cert was provided in the class, but it was funny all the learning materials and standards were PADI. They just provided us a cert that was less expensive and could charge less that way. This was back in 1994 though and I see prices have changed quite a bit. Also the dive shop I got my cert from no longer exists. Maybe they were charging too little.

prodjbm
10-15-2007, 17:46
I paid 250 for everyhting including equipment rental, well it did not include the devils den dive that we did for a check out dive. This was in crystal river florida last year and the instructor Michael Clayton was great

plot
10-21-2007, 09:15
$70 for books
$135 for classroom work and pool training
$225 for OW dives

all gear (except mask, fins, snorkel) was included... really I can't think of any extra fee's they tried to tack on outside of maybe a wet suit rental.

sudnit5
10-21-2007, 16:47
My class was free (got certified through work). I just had to pay $65.00 for the books and dive site fees. You can't beat that deal! :smiley20:

chace_nicole
10-21-2007, 17:22
My class was free (got certified through work). I just had to pay $65.00 for the books and dive site fees. You can't beat that deal! :smiley20:

ok now your just braggin!!! jk!

aprilgoddess1987
11-30-2007, 13:16
mine is 180 but that does include a drive to destin, and rental gear

Navy OnStar
11-30-2007, 14:16
$179.00 per person (was all inclusive except fins, mask, and snorkel) That was books, pool time, 4 OW dives (2 beach, 2 Local Spring) and all rental gear (including 6 mm jackets for the spring) and tanks. Could have gotten it for $159.00 but the $179.00 class schedule worked out better for me. Actually, my wife got sick before the second pool session and the instructor came in one evening during the week at no extra charge so we could complete the class without any delays. We also did another shore dive with his next class at no charge.

Navy OnStar
11-30-2007, 14:17
mine is 180 but that does include a drive to destin, and rental gear
April, where do you live? My wife and I are over in Milton but bought all our gear from Scuba Tech in Destin.

tarheeldiver
11-30-2007, 14:27
$179.00 per person (was all inclusive except fins, mask, and snorkel) That was books, pool time, 4 OW dives (2 beach, 2 Local Spring) and all rental gear (including 6 mm jackets for the spring) and tanks. Could have gotten it for $159.00 but the $179.00 class schedule worked out better for me. Actually, my wife got sick before the second pool session and the instructor came in one evening during the week at no extra charge so we could complete the class without any delays. We also did another shore dive with his next class at no charge.
You got a good deal I think mine was 300.00 per person

Soonerwink
11-30-2007, 21:45
Here is the least expensive I have seen in our area Dive Classes (http://www.genesaquapro.com/dive_classes.htm) 155.00 and says it includes everything. This is at Gene's on lake Tenkiller.

ScubaJW
12-10-2007, 22:58
I have paid overprice for OW. Something like over $300, I was ripped off and now that SCUBA store is out of business for that reason! That was in upstate NY. I know that around 200 is a very good deal for OW course, IMO.

Clanggedin
12-11-2007, 15:41
I paid $150 for mine. It doesn't include our checkout dives. They are $22 each day at the Homestead in Midway UT.

If I waited a few more months then I could have done my checkout dives in Blue Lake, NV.

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 16:00
Mine was $450 at the time and that did not include the cert trip to FL, but did include the pool time, equipment and class time. The OW book was an extra $40 I think. total was around $1000 for me in 1991.

SarahBella
12-13-2007, 08:21
We paid $250 for the course and $50 for the check out dives. We also had to buy the basic gear-mask, snorkel, fins, and weight belt. During the class a BC was on sale on the web so I bought that as well. The class price included regs, tanks, and BC for all the pool sessions.

scarlet&gray nut
01-09-2008, 16:01
I paid $275 for mine that included all the equipment and the check out dives. Best yet my instructor would let me use his equipment to dive after I was out of class until I got my own.

DUnder
01-21-2008, 12:40
My OW was $350.00 for everything, books, classroom, pool, rental gear, and check out dives.

DarinMartell
01-21-2008, 12:50
I paid $150 for the classes and checkout dives, another $40 to get into the lake. It included everything including rental grear and air. It is an hour away but it is the only one in the area that has it's own pool. We did confined water in April and the checkout in May. The price included unlimited use of the pool and equipment between confined water class and checkout.

whse56
01-21-2008, 20:03
Through my local LDS it was 279.95 fully inclusive, gear rental, pool time, and books.

Mycroft
01-21-2008, 22:20
Ok, this was 10 years ago now but:

Wife and I already had mask, fins, boots, dive suit, and snorkels for diving with manatees. And the fins and masks and boots came from the instructor when he worked at a previous shop.

I paid my OW fees at around $100, but insisted upon paying for my wife piecemeal on the class by class basis. (She lasted about 2 classes)

The shop was new, we were the only 2 to sign up. I offered and we did 2 pool sessions in my pool, with the instrutor bringing over gear.

Last pool session was at a community pool, but he paid to get us both in.

First checkout dives at Devil's Den. I had bought my gear by then (Regs, BC, computer) from the instructor. The computer has been upgraded since, but the rest is still my current gear. I drove both the instructor and us to there. I don't remember if I paid to get in there or not.

Ocean boat dives for last 2 checkout dives. I met him in North Palm Beach, which was about a 175 mile drive. $65 for 2 tank trip?

And for the boat dives, I had an instructor, plus an instructor in training all to myself as buddies!

Later a different shop - AOW - Around $100 I think was the finally tally.

Both instructors are no longer in the industry. - I wonder why?

MLenyo
01-21-2008, 22:52
hm..... i took it through my university. 2 credit hours at ~$150 an hour, and then a ~$175 fee at the LDS. i believe it's around $450 if not through a school or something. gear rentals and cert dives included. had to buy my own mask, fins, snorkel, and boots, so add about $200 to that.

texarkandy
01-22-2008, 00:00
The whole OW course was 2-days for $179 w/rental gear &tank provided

(had to bring my own mask/fins/snorkel though)

Am I gonna die? :)

Think
01-28-2008, 09:22
$269 at one local shop for the course. Another $200ish (ouch) for the books/CD. Must provide mask, snorkel and fins but everything else is included. No extra OW dive fees or anything.

Another shop is $199 for classes, $60ish for books, $100 OW dive fee, and then you have to pay $40 to the quarry owner. Must provide mask, snorkel and fins as above but tank and everything else is included.

Don Wray
02-06-2008, 16:59
I see alot of great prices here, i think i paid nearly $500 canadian up here for my OW, they just overcharge for everything up here. I hope it all changes due to how strong the canadian doller is compared to the U.S doller. If things stay the same I'm going to be shopping for a bit more gear from ST after christmas has cleared up. Any book up here cost like almost 40 per cent more just because its in canada (they all had a U.S price on them too, now the stores are trying to take them all off so people dont pay in U.S dollers).

My problem is with the over charge comment...when you calculate what is involved..does everyone else work for nothing? Instructors have expenses, families and bills just like everyone else. Instruction to do anything cost money to have someone teach. When you and I go to the grocery, the food is the same for both. It cost alot of money to become an instructor and I'm not one to believe in zero to hero courses...what is your time worth? We charge $350 for 5 weeks of training including books, cert fees, plus pool time. I, as a divemaster who works for free to help the student, spend as many hours as needed to make sure a student has mastered the skill. Take $50 off for books and fees, leaves $300. $300 divided by 15 (minimal) hours is $20 an hour max for an instructor who has spent lots of bucks for the "honor" of instructing. I'm sorry, just don't understand of wanting something for nothing. The difference is in the quality of instruction. Not many professionals work for that.

DarinMartell
02-07-2008, 12:33

My problem is with the over charge comment...when you calculate what is involved..does everyone else work for nothing? Instructors have expenses, families and bills just like everyone else. Instruction to do anything cost money to have someone teach. When you and I go to the grocery, the food is the same for both. It cost alot of money to become an instructor and I'm not one to believe in zero to hero courses...what is your time worth? We charge $350 for 5 weeks of training including books, cert fees, plus pool time. I, as a divemaster who works for free to help the student, spend as many hours as needed to make sure a student has mastered the skill. Take $50 off for books and fees, leaves $300. $300 divided by 15 (minimal) hours is $20 an hour max for an instructor who has spent lots of bucks for the "honor" of instructing. I'm sorry, just don't understand of wanting something for nothing. The difference is in the quality of instruction. Not many professionals work for that.

There where 12 people in my class, So it is not $20 an hour that instructor would have made at your price it was $240 an hour. Nice job if you can find it.....

I can see paying more for private or even semi private classes but that is not what the OP asked about. We live in a free market society, just as ST can compete with my LDS on prices, Different instructors compete with each other. As a informed consumer I look for three things: Price, Quality, & Service. I do as much research as possible and find the place that can give my the best combination of those three for my needs. The place each of those holds in importance changes depending on the product. If I am looking at accessories, Price is the #1 factor. If it is training then Quality tops the list. If it is something requiring yearly maintnence then service gets bumped up.

It all comes down to what you offer. If your the only game in town then you make your own price and you call the shots. I am lucky enough to have over a dozen shops within an hour so I could find the one that best met my needs.

RoyN
02-07-2008, 13:34
The price I paid for mine was $250 and then to the advance was around $400 because it included the boat dive too.

TRACI
02-07-2008, 16:50
SSI was 300.00, but we got a group discount for having a large group, I believe regular price is 350.00.

KGNickl
02-09-2008, 20:06
Depends on the area. In high school I took a class that did the certification and it was dirt cheap (local scuba shop trained 15-20 high school kids as an elective each semester). Also check all your local shops, prices may vary based on quality of the trainers and sometimes places just charge too much!

fireflock
02-09-2008, 21:20

Not many professionals have a line of other professionals behind them waiting to take their place when they decide the pay isn't high enough.

No one pays you based on what it costs to buy food or provide for your family. You get paid based on the price people are willing to pay, which is highly influenced by what other professionals are willing to accept to provide the same service.

It sucks for the instructor who wants to make a living, but look at the number of DM and higher cranked out each year. Except for unique circumstances, teaching diving is just not a decent way to make money. Don't blame the customers. Blame the people who keep training more instructors.

Rich

johnyringo
02-09-2008, 21:20
Here in my area it's running a bit over $300. That includes everything you'll need for OW cert. Books materials and all of your equipment, including mask, fins, snorkel and boots.

danielh03
02-10-2008, 19:05
I paid 295 for mine, but I had to buy my hood, gloves, mask, snorkel and fins. Being I had a little extra cash, I bought the priceir stuff just cause. Then the cost of rental for check out dives, quarry access fees, and fills.

MandieR
02-11-2008, 15:09
I paid $250 for all class work and books, pool work, equipment use both in the pool and for the OW portion. We were required to purchase our own mask, fins and snorkel for the OW portion of the class but were given a discount off the cost of the class if we bought them through the shop.
The only additional costs were for the trip to Beaver Lake, AR to do my OW portion but that $$ didn't go to the dive shop.

fire diver
02-11-2008, 17:08
I paid $250 for all class work and books, pool work, equipment use both in the pool and for the OW portion. We were required to purchase our own mask, fins and snorkel for the OW portion of the class but were given a discount off the cost of the class if we bought them through the shop.
The only additional costs were for the trip to Beaver Lake, AR to do my OW portion but that $$ didn't go to the dive shop.

Where did you certify through?

cummings66
02-11-2008, 20:02
Several years back I paid $185 for my OW cert. I think it runs around $200 now in my area, but you need to buy your own personal gear. Tanks, wetsuits etc are thrown into the deal for the cert.

I've seen prices higher and have certainly seen $300 classes in the area. Prices vary a bit depending on time of year, warmer busier times generate higher prices, from looking outside in.

msprzeor
02-14-2008, 02:54
For our (private) classes, we charge $350 as the standard rate. That includes everything except exposure protection (if needed). When we work with our afterschool group the kids get added on for minimal cost ($50 or so for the jr. certification).

terrillja
02-14-2008, 08:11
I was looking to find an OW course for some of the members of my school's scuba club and was amazed at how much training is here. One shop was $550 incl books and everything other than mask and fins, another was 450 without books for everything other than mask and fins.

I'm now trying to negotiate down the price, since the members of our club are all college students, and whichever shop we choose go go with will be getting a lot of business from us. (Our first group of OW students will be 6-8 people, and the club is just starting)

DarinMartell
02-14-2008, 08:21
I was looking to find an OW course for some of the members of my school's scuba club and was amazed at how much training is here. One shop was $550 incl books and everything other than mask and fins, another was 450 without books for everything other than mask and fins.

I'm now trying to negotiate down the price, since the members of our club are all college students, and whichever shop we choose go go with will be getting a lot of business from us. (Our first group of OW students will be 6-8 people, and the club is just starting)

Wow, $550? With 6-8 college students I would wait for a school break, Fly to a hub city like Dallas ($200), Rent a house for a week ($150 each), and go to Scuba Toys! I know they would hook you up with a good price on gear too!

terrillja
02-14-2008, 08:28

Wow, $550? With 6-8 college students I would wait for a school break, Fly to a hub city like Dallas ($200), Rent a house for a week ($150 each), and go to Scuba Toys! I know they would hook you up with a good price on gear too!
That's what I said, that it would be less to go somewhere else. I think that my dad paid maybe 225 in NH for his OW. I definitely did consider going to ST though, 550 each is a lot, and there certainly are other uses for that $$

Things that come to mind...

Textbooks

6-packs of .... soda

and the like.

DarinMartell
02-14-2008, 09:24

That's what I said, that it would be less to go somewhere else. I think that my dad paid maybe 225 in NH for his OW. I definitely did consider going to ST though, 550 each is a lot, and there certainly are other uses for that $$

Textbooks

6-packs of .... soda

and the like.

Agreed but you should know how to save money, your in school, haven't you taken economics? 6-pack .. of soda = $7 or $1.16 each

1/2 barrel of ... soda = $60 or $0.37 each

terrillja
02-14-2008, 09:38

Textbooks

6-packs of .... soda

and the like.

Agreed but you should know how to save money, your in school, haven't you taken economics? 6-pack .. of soda = $7 or $1.16 each

1/2 barrel of ... soda = $60 or $0.37 each
Unfortunately the school rules are very strict about barrels, less so about the 6-packs of ... soda

MandieR
02-14-2008, 10:36

Where did you certify through?

I went through Poseidon Adventures in Tulsa.
DH just told me yesterday when we were talking about this thread that I was charged and extra $30 for my c-card so I'm a little :zx11pissed: about that...

cutter77
02-15-2008, 18:03
$350, included decent fins, snorkel and mask that I used as backup gear later.

Bert
02-18-2008, 17:47
312 for my class included the pic and paper work for c card, all I needed was my own mask, fins, and snorkle.

newways
02-18-2008, 20:24
Did mine in college, got PE credit for it, military paid for it. Can't remember the materials cost, 'twas 9 years ago.

Brandon Belew
02-18-2008, 20:51
The club i'm a member of charges 200$ for the OW class ( lasts a semester ).

My advanced course was like 250$ - rescue and divemaster are about the same. Gets expensive :(

solodiver
02-29-2008, 08:17
I would suggest that you shop around for a small class, possibly semi private, best to have a buddy in it. Fins the beat instructor you can, longest class, and pay the price. THat is all you will ever have to do. Or you can do additonal chewzzie classes iuntil the end of time to gain confidence

obrules15
04-05-2008, 14:03
I was appalled when I was in Maryland looking at dive training for a friend and there was a shop charging $575 not including the open water checkout dives which were another $200. You could also get gear and "only" pay $800. I could not even speak I was so appalled.

reactive
04-05-2008, 14:43
I got certified through MBT Divers in Pensacola, FL. They run the NAUI program. I paid $170 to get certified which included everything except for admission to Vortex Spring ($19). They covered books and materials and gear rentals. I wasn't able to find anything even close to that deal. They even gave me a student discount (10%)! :smiley20:

They're a great dive shop all around and the staff is excellent!

If you're in the area, I highly recommend them!

frogman159
04-05-2008, 17:16
My course is $200- The books are loaner, but included and the open water rental gear is $99 for both days. So $300 total plus personal gear.

EuphoriaII
04-10-2008, 16:44
I seem to recall it cost $200 when I was certified 3 years ago but it’s $250 for my son who is getting cert now. Includes book price and gear rental. PADI

9driver
04-11-2008, 11:35
$450/person for OW in SW FL. Included everything but the wetsuit rentals.

matt151617
04-30-2008, 23:22
$350 for everything. They covered all rentals, including wetsuits, for the price. Just had to pay for personal gear.

mixahl
04-30-2008, 23:26
$250 for everything including rentals, dives, books, etc.....PADI

DiverMAN
04-30-2008, 23:26
My open water certification cost around $350 as well. That price includes rental, elearning, and boat trips...

ratown
05-01-2008, 00:11
My open water certification cost around $350 as well. That price includes rental, elearning, and boat trips...

Same... If getting certified was $800 there is no way I would be diving today. That is just ridiculous. Diving should be for everyone, and with a price like that, it's impossible.

Penguino
05-01-2008, 00:32
300 for a private PADI instructor who provided all gear

ChrisA
05-06-2008, 00:41
I am curious, what did you all pay for your open water class?

I have a couple shops in my area. After I got the price for the closest one, I decided to shop around some and I found the price to vary quite a bit. I see that ST has the open water for $245 which is even $50 less than the cheaper class I found.

:smiliez.de_2125:

It was some years ago but I got in one this ultra low offer of something like $95 for an OW class but it was not inclusive. To the $95 they added books and materials and gear rental plus we paid for a boat so the total was more like $300 but I think it's good that they un-bundle it. so the guy who bought gear saved the gear rental fee.

I think many shops sell OW classes at near cost so that they can get new customers and sell them equipment. Selling equipment is where they make money but you have to catch the customers with a low cost OW class before you can sell gear.

ChrisA
05-06-2008, 01:24
[quote=Don Wray;129057]
$20 an hour max for an instructor who has spent lots of bucks for the "honor" of instructing. I'm sorry, just don't understand of wanting something for nothing. The difference is in the quality of instruction. Not many professionals work for that.

But it turns out that quality is not related to price. Most of the instructors I know have "day jobs" and only teach because they enjoy it and don't need the money. All of them loose money but they can write it off

Here in LA there is an entire training agency where instructors are not paid at all. They by tradition always work without pay.

There is a strong argument that people who work because they want to will do a better job then those who are in it because to need the paycheck.

I noticed this when I was still in my OW class. I knew what I paid and could see how many hours I'd be in class and knew how many other students were in the class and quickly figured the instructor did not make minimum wage but they all had nice cars and expensive houses and traveled to exotic places.

CFDAlden
05-06-2008, 03:40
$300, included all confined and OW dives.

Roughly $150 for the mask/fins/booties/snorkle.

Mooha182
05-06-2008, 08:07
$169 All inclusive (except personal gear)
$159 w/ military discount

But I ended up dropping $240 on high quality personal gear there.

I haven't checked the other shops in my area but I don't want to either.

IndyDiver
05-06-2008, 08:31
$400, and that includes all class time, pool time, dives, material, and gear usage (except a mask).

WetHog
05-15-2008, 14:46
$199.00 included Pool Time, Book, DVD Use (deposit $20 and return for Store Credit), and Gear Rental (WS, BC, REG, Weights, Hood, and Gloves)

I had to provide my own Mask, Snorkel, and Fins. These could be bought at the shop, but could be from anywhere. I bought new at the shop and paid $180 for Mask, Fins, Boots, Snorkel and Defog.

DOWNDEEP73
05-17-2008, 18:57
$225 for OW.
$150 for AOW.

scubasamurai
05-17-2008, 19:30
330 for everything but you buy the fins,mask,gloves

Largo
05-18-2008, 12:31
It seems like shops that are located on salt water tend to charge more, because the cost usually includes a boat ride to the check out dive site.

If you do your cert. inland, then you probably will dive in a lake or quarry, and that's less overhead for the shop.

It seems like people who got certified inland, are more likely to wear their masks on their foreheads, and spit out their regulators on the surface.
Then, they hit a swell, and lose the mask and get a snort full of seawater.

Just my opinion.

comet24
05-18-2008, 12:44
When I took OW in college, over ten years ago, I paid the rate for a 2 credit class. I think it was 2 credits plus the gym/pool/sports/whatever fee. Then if we did the check out dives with them we had to pay for the quarry fees.

My LDS charges $295 and includes books and everything for the classroom and pool portions. Then if you do the checkout dives with them there is another $150 I think which includes gear and quarry fees. This is the going rate around here. Some are more but I don't think any are really cheaper.

coral cowgirl
05-24-2008, 19:00
$350 as I remember (correctly??)

Covered the classes (which were private cause I was the only one taking it at the time), snorkel and mask. Also included 3 checkout dives at a local lake and free tanks several times.

Splitlip
05-24-2008, 22:39
I haven't taken any instruction in a long time.
This is where my daughter was recently certified. Prices vary, but this is pretty typical. Depends upon grouup or private or if equipment is included.

Welcome to The Scuba Club, America's Only Country Club For Scuba Divers in West Palm Beach, FL (http://www.thescubaclub.com/)

How much does it cost?
The Group class is $250 and meets 2 nights a week for 3 weeks from 7-10pm. Our Executive Class is $450 and can be completed in a week or less or, at your convenience.

What type of certification will I receive?
There are five major training agencies that issue scuba certifications, National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI), Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), Scuba Diving International (SDI), Scuba Schools International (SSI) and Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). All of these certifications are recognized worldwide. One is not better or worse than any other. The certification that you receive here at The Scuba Club will be dependent on which instructor teaches the class and which training agency he is affiliated with. Again, any certification you receive here at The Scuba Club will be good wherever your travels may take you.

What equipment do I have to purchase?
None. Our Openwater class includes the use of all equipment, including the latest in mask, fins, and snorkels. We believe that it's better to use different types of equipment in the water before you make the decision to purchase. You can really discover what is best for you. Everything in our Pro Shop is available for you to try before you buy. Can any other store make that claim?

Where do we take the pool classes?
The pool classes are conducted right here at The Scuba Club! We have two different pools where you'll develop your skills. That means no hauling wet equipment back and forth from the pool to the dive shop since everything is at one location!

Where do we do the Openwater dives?
The Openwater training dives depart from The Scuba Club on our boat which is docked at our facility. They are conducted in the ocean at several dive sites ranging in depth from 30'-60'.

Why should I learn at The Scuba Club as opposed to the other guys?
There are many reasons to take the Openwater SCUBA course with us:

Convenience: We are the only facility in Palm Beach County that is located on the Intracoastal Waterway. This means our own USCG certified boat is located on site so there's no running to the marina to find your dive boat.
Facility: We are the only facility in Palm Beach County with two pools on site, so there's no running to the hotel pool lugging wet equipment. Our classroom and rental equipment are on site too which makes us truly, one stop shopping.
Staff: The other guys use instructors which are independent contractors. The instructors at The Scuba Club are full time employees and do this professionally year round. They love what they do and it shows since combined they have over 100 years of teaching experience! We're extremely proud of them. Check them out yourself, why don't you Meet the Staff (http://www.thescubaclub.com/staff.html).

SlvrDragon50
07-04-2008, 16:41
350 for me
I had to buy mask, fins, boots, snorkel

But I also get 10% discounts on anything I buy from the store now

Sasha_K
07-04-2008, 17:14
+ 1 on everything people saying on the 'total cost'. So to summ up, add up:
1. Advertised cost
2. Any equipment needed, or how much is it to rent
3. manuals - included or not, and how much are they
4. Pool fees
5. Any park/marina fees
6. Are open water dives required (4) included in the price

I agree you need to find a good instructor, but sadly, that's very hard if you are new to the sport and diving community.

diver 85
07-10-2008, 01:02
$100 each(I think)..........that was for 3--myself, wife, and daughter--........in '85...........

crea2k
07-30-2008, 16:30
Cheapest iv found in florida is $220, most expensive....prob about 600-800, think they were private though, have taken the in between one at $275, get to do the theory online and practical 1 in a lake and 2 in the sea so should get a good experience of the difference.

mchain
07-30-2008, 18:47
I paid about 350 at scubamex in paamul. That is the going rate as far as I can tell.

Jenn
07-30-2008, 19:12
Hey there I paid 250 for my class but that also including all materials and dives. Just make sure when you compare prices that you look at everything that is and is not included such as books, dives, and so on.... Good luck

Trey9123
07-30-2008, 22:52
$250 classes, pool, books, and gear + $4 park entry +$10 boat ride.

sravin1
07-30-2008, 23:45
250+30 card fee.

digitalman
07-31-2008, 14:05
$250, which included books, classroom, pool, OW dives, air, use of a wetsuit in the pool & ow, use of BC in pool & ow. I had to buy my own m/f/s, & boots. I also had to pay $15/day for lake entrance.

russp
07-31-2008, 14:34
I payed $250 at Scuba Toys which covered books, pool and lake dives along with loaner tank, BC and regs. We had to buy our own personal gear and pay $20 a day for lake entry and $8 for each airfill.

blcard
08-20-2008, 22:36
$380 for mine including all rental gear except snorkel stuff. Surprise though was the $10 per day fee at the quarry. Not a big deal but would have been nice to know.

plot
08-21-2008, 17:35
SSI

Classroom/Pool
$135 per person, includes all equipment except mask/fins/snorkel
$69.95 for student kit which is text book, study guides, log book, and tables
$29.95 for open water dvd (can be shared)

open water training:
$225 per person, includes two days of boat diving and certification fees, and lodging at the lake. plus airfills and everything else...

rental equipment is extra.

julz
08-21-2008, 19:05
ssi it cost me 290 and included everything

kwroads
08-21-2008, 19:21
250.00 in my area is average.

Lone Frogman
08-21-2008, 19:41
My OW was $40.00 including gear. After I finished my class I brought all my gear less a tank for about $250.00. I still dive with my Conshelf. Gas was about 50 cents a gallon. You could eat at McDonalds for less than a buck.