PDA

View Full Version : Honorable Mention - "Silhouetted Diver"

WV Diver
10-04-2007, 07:09
I entered this photo in a amateur photo contest that had 300+ enteries from all over the state and I got an honorable mention. So I thought I might share it with you shutter bugs.

I do not take photographs..............I take snap shots. This shot was not planned and I never realized it was any good at all until I downloaded it. This was taken on a recent Bonaire vacation and is the only really "good" picture I got out of many, many shots.

So you see, even a blind squirrel will run into an acorn once in a while. :smiley36:

I will be doing more serious photography in the future and will have alot of questions for you folks. For now I just beg, borrow and steal what I can. I think this was taken with a Canon Power Shot not sure which one. It was a borrowed camera and I ran the picture through a buddies photoshop but really didn't do much to it.

When it comes times for me to buy a camera of my own I will need your alls help. Until then I am saving money.

I was told by someone on a dive boat this spring in Key Largo that some of the newer cameras coming out have an underwater setting that takes out alot of the blue haze automatically. Is this true and if so which ones? I want to look into some of these.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r218/Wizard41/Stuff1/Debra1.jpg

DevilDiver
10-04-2007, 08:07
Very nice!!!
Planned or not this photo conveys the feeling of diving. The prospective of depth and the lighting from the surface puts the viewer in a place where some people will never be and some wish they could stay. How many times have you looked out over scene on land or underwater and wished you could remember it in your mind forever........ This is what your photo does.
Thanks for sharing!

dallasdivergirl
10-04-2007, 08:58
that's a great!

you took a great pic. I am working on my u/w photo skills.

unclepooty
10-04-2007, 09:11
Very nice WV. thanks for sharing

jwdizney
10-04-2007, 09:26
great pic, WV!.. thanks for sharing!

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
10-04-2007, 11:04
:smiley20: Very Nice!! Congrats on the Honorable Mention too!

WaScubaDude
10-04-2007, 12:19
Really great photo. My new desktop back ground, do I owe you royalties?

If you won honorable mention can you enter the photo in other contests? If you can I think you should. A truely moving photo.

WV Diver
10-04-2007, 13:04

If you won honorable mention can you enter the photo in other contests? If you can I think you should. A truely moving photo.

Sure I can, in other competetions but never again in this yearly competition.

HEY PAL.................... what's my wife doing on your desk top??? :smiley2::smiley17:

BobArnold8265
10-04-2007, 13:12
Excellent picture. They say in all of the dive magazines that it is more dramatic when you shoot your subject from below nd this just proves their point !! Nice job.

BobbyWombat
10-04-2007, 13:24
Great pic. Thanks for sharing.

Chad
10-04-2007, 13:32
Great shot! Congrats on the honorable mention.

Kokomo
10-04-2007, 18:38
A seriously great picture, WV. Hope you get many more as good as this one!

So where's the next trip to? :smiley2:

mpd525
10-05-2007, 20:05
i just used it for my desktop background.It's great

Flatliner
10-05-2007, 20:08
WV,

That is a REALLY great shot! I wish the pictures I have taken looked half that good.

WV Diver
10-05-2007, 21:48
WV,

That is a REALLY great shot! I wish the pictures I have taken looked half that good.

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence but as I mentioned in the original post this was one out of many, many shots. Most of the shots I get aren't that good.

This was just luck and having a beautiful subject (wife) and a beautiful place to take the picture helped tremendously.

WaScubaDude
10-06-2007, 13:51

Sure I can, in other competetions but never again in this yearly competition.

HEY PAL.................... what's my wife doing on your desk top??? :smiley2::smiley17:

She's getting wet and seems very happy about it.

cfw218
10-22-2007, 20:02
That's a great picture. Is that you in the picture? Where was it taken?

Kokomo
10-22-2007, 20:06
That's a great picture. Is that you in the picture? Where was it taken?

Hey Chris...that's me in the picture and it was taken in Bonaire...almost exactly a year ago..

Anne Eastwell
10-22-2007, 20:07
Awesome pic!!! Well done on the honorable mention. Did they provide any feedback to go with the mention?

I was thinking about u/w photography just recently too, so it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks is a reasonable camera for us newbies to the game.

chace_nicole
10-22-2007, 21:59
I love the silhouette pictures...more dramatic like B&W. Good job!

cfw218
10-24-2007, 21:56
Hey Kokomo,

Looks like you were having a "zen" dive! Did you read what hubby said about you to Flatliner? He's so sweet! Wish you could have joined us at Lake Rawlings. It was the best!

Have Gail tell you some of her stories about Bonair some time. I've got to make that my next big vacation. Maybe someday I'll have a great dive picture like yours to show to friends.

lovesmexico615
10-25-2007, 00:05
Beautiful shot! I glanced through the rest of the posts, didn't see it mentioned yet, but I have the Olympus 770-SW, which DOES add red to the underwater shots. (The camera is rated to 10M without a housing). That being said, I still had to run everything through photoshop before they looked right.

WV Diver
10-25-2007, 06:13
Awesome pic!!! Well done on the honorable mention. Did they provide any feedback to go with the mention?

I was thinking about u/w photography just recently too, so it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks is a reasonable camera for us newbies to the game.

Nope, not a word of feedback. Never even saw or know who the judges were except that there were three, two pro photographers and an artist.

RoadRacer1978
10-25-2007, 09:56
Awesome picture. Can't wait to see what kinda pics you get when you really get into underwater photo.

cutter77
12-31-2007, 21:37
Ahhhh....nice shot. Great composition too.

Kokomo
12-31-2007, 22:57
I really like it , too. Starts PBD all over again!