PDA

View Full Version : What's the use of Rescue Training?

PlatypusMan
07-16-2007, 05:52
At 1:50 a.m. today, my mother called and woke me up, saying that her husband -- my stepfather -- had fallen and she didn't know what to do.

Rescue training kicked in, I took charge of the scene, administered first aid and a compression bandage (he was bleeding from a scalp wound) until the EMTs arrived. Once I had briefed the EMTs on the status of their patient, I released him into their tender care and got dressed and went with them to the hospital.

It is currently 5:43 a.m. and I've just got back from the hospital after having gotten three staples put in the Old Man's head.

Had it not been for my Rescue training the outcome could have been considerably worse; there would have been no one who knew how to handle the injury, the scene or how to keep two elderly people calm until help arrived.

I took the Rescue Diver course in order to become a better, more proficient diver.... never suspected that I can get a lot more out of that training.

ScubaToys Larry
07-16-2007, 06:19
Good job and great story - especially since the outcome was good.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have had several people tell me stories like this - as I guess, overall, we are on land alot more than in the water - so it makes sense that we will have more chances to use these newly learned skills on land.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Again, congrats, and now get some sleep!</DIV>

frankc420
07-16-2007, 08:28
Was it your rescue training that kicked in or your first aid training? Regardless, I think rescue training is something that every diver should take. I haven't taken it yet, but it's my next class, which will for sure be before the end of this year.

jacewindu
07-16-2007, 09:00
i'm hoping to take rescue soon, and your story is only making me realize how valuable it actually is...

thanks

PlatypusMan
07-16-2007, 10:42
Was it your rescue training that kicked in or your first aid training?

Both--first aid, scene management and making good mental notes to pass on to the EMTs since I couldn't write anything down...ALL of which are part of the Rescue diver's sea bag of tricks.

Regardless, I think rescue training is something that every diver
should take. I haven't taken it yet, but it's my next class, which
will for sure be before the end of this year.

With a bit of luck, and the alignment of day job schedules, maybe I'll be working that class. If that occurs, I'll look forward to meeting you if it's at ScubaToys.

cummings66
07-16-2007, 10:51
Congratulations on a job well done. The EFR course is a good one to take and one benefit of having the rescue cert is you know a person has that training, if they will use it. You did which is great.

Foo2
07-16-2007, 14:16
Way to go PlatypusMan! I would like to take that class someday myself! Way to be calm in a scary situation!
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

quarrydiver
08-13-2007, 22:48
rescue diver class is a good way to gain confidence and competance. nice job.

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 22:53
great job bro. It's like they say about CPR. 95% of the time you use it, it's on a family member. It's better to have it and not need it, than not have it.

Osprey
08-13-2007, 23:05
this is exactly why i am enrolling for lifeguarding and first aid, it DOES have a purpose! stellar job, mate! and a swift recovery to that nasty cut

Phestr
08-14-2007, 02:13
Yes, very nicely done. Like most here, Rescue is next. I have military training to fall back on, but EFR and Rescue should bolster those.

CC1020
08-14-2007, 11:19
I'm just completing my Rescue training, and it has been a terrific learning experience. I'm a much more confident diver, and the CPR, AED, O2 administration, and FirstAid classes that were prerequisites could very well turn out to be useful for more than just diving emergencies... as you have recently discovered. Great job handling a potentially bad situation!

quarrydiver
08-15-2007, 21:05
nice work.

creggur
08-15-2007, 21:17
Very nice, I'm definately taking rescue!!