PDA

View Full Version : The Offsets Clean up

skdvr
10-04-2007, 07:59
Hello to all you midwestern divers. There are a few guys that are trying to organize some clean up dives at The Offsets (Mine LaMotte) for Oct 13th. They are looking for divers of all experience levels to do anything from moving huge boulders and rubble from the cave entrances to cleaning up empty beer cans out in the main part of the quarry. They have spoken with the owner and are getting some cooperation from him, to what degree I am not sure. I do not know if he will offer free entrance to all cleanup divers or not. Hopefully one or both of the organizers will become a member of this board to answer any questions that you may have. In the mean time I can go back and forth between them and this post to answer any questions that you have.

This clean up is something that is going to take some time, it will not be done in a day. They have already done a good bit of work last weekend, so it is a continuing project.

Phil

snagel
10-10-2007, 22:31
I spoke with one of the guys that have been working on the cleanup. Yes, they have done a lot of work. To clean up the beer cans (and sunglasses) will essentially take several months if that. The bottom is littered with them. Just wondering how they plan on cleaning up the beer cans? Are they simply dragging a bag and filling as they go? We were talking about this and that practice would appear to silt it up very quickly. It would be cool if you could figure out a way to lift the bags to the surface and have somebody in a boat picking up the bags and dragging them to the shore. You would have a small fortune in cans if you could get them off the bottom. What sucks though is that given the "party crowd" that hangs out there, it won't be long before the bottom is filled again with cans.

S. Nagel

skdvr
10-11-2007, 19:32
Well what our plan for the cans this weekend is we are bringing a bunch of mesh bags and lift bags. Then as the bags get filled up we are going to shoot them to the surface. Someone is supposed to bring a small raft out to go out and get the bags. It will take a long time to do and supposedly the owner has said that he will express to all the kids that come on to party that litering is not going to be tolerated. We will see how all of that goes next summer. I hope it works out well. I think if we can start getting a better presence of divers there it will help out.

Snagel, you should come on out there on Sat, we had two guys that had to drop out because they had to help with an OW class. So I think that right now there is going to be six of us. We are going to meet up at the gate at 10:30am. If you are interested just let me know and I will make sure that we wait for you at the gate. We are all supposed to check in with the manager and go in as one group.

Phil

skdvr
10-14-2007, 09:00
Well we had a good time yesterday at Mine LaMotte. We filled up my 4x8 trailer with cans cleared from the bottom. We had 7 divers out there and the first part of the day we spent cleaning up trash. Then the caretaker took us to a really cool cave that we spent some time in and had lunch. Then the second part of the day we spent exploring around different spots in the quarry. There are quite a few old mine shafts that have air above them that we checked out and it was neet to see some of the old stuff at the bottom. Vis was fine at the surface, it was about 15 feet down to about 15 feet and then it was about 1.

Met some new people and had a blast.

Phil

SteveC
10-14-2007, 22:47
Was the vis really 1 foot?

skdvr
10-15-2007, 06:28
Yes. My dive buddy had his hand on my shoulder and I could not see him. To read my computer I had to almost touch my mask.

The vis was worse than that when we were picking up the cans. You would get a few picked up and then silt yourself out, and it was total darkness. Not really a big deal though because you could just move over a few feet and be just fine.

Phil

SteveC
10-15-2007, 21:02
Is the vis bad because of the clean up, or just the time of year?

skdvr
10-16-2007, 05:52
Just this time of the year I think. I had only dove there one other time in July and the vis was pretty good (15 - 20ft). In the caverns it was about 15 ft of vis but out in the main quarry it was not great. Hopefully I get out there a few more time this winter and I am sure that it will be good then.

Phil

b1gcountry
10-16-2007, 18:28
Well, I was the buddy, and yes, visibility was less than 1' below 15fsw. If you have ever seen the thermocline, and been worried you would run into it, it was like that. To make matters worse, the one time we really tried going deeper than 20' we dropped down into a 8'x8' hole about four feet deep, and kept swimming into the sides until we realized wtf was going on. The shallow cavern stuff was really cool though, and I enjoyed that. I plan on going back to map some of it. I really don't think we saw any visibility greater than about 10' though. I was thinking about 7-8'. Any place around here can be bad, so I'm sure its better than that other times.

Tom

SteveC
10-17-2007, 18:56
Here is a link to some pictures I took at Mine La Motte this last spring. The vis was close to 30' at all depths.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevec69/tags/minelamotte/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevec69/tags/minelamotte/)

skdvr
10-18-2007, 05:23
Steve,
You should come down and help out sometime. The two guys that are organizing all fo this live pretty close to there and are ready to dive any time.

Phil