PDA

View Full Version : Compass for Australia?

DropBear
10-04-2007, 08:30
I'm getting ready to buy a full kit, Thinking of the Envoy Duluxe and an oceanic computer console (still haven't decided which one) and I just want to know will scubatoys have a compass that works in Australia? I know there are some differences in how they are balanced for north america vs. southern hemisphere countries.

ScubaToys Larry
10-04-2007, 08:33
Not a problem. Yes, we stock both northern and southern compass modules - never hurts to remind us when you order - but we're pretty used to putting the southern in for Australia, New Zealand, etc. We also have metric or imperial analog gauges. The computers, you don't have to worry about as they can all switch either way.

kingfish
10-04-2007, 22:45
Yep i have the Veo 250 from ST and they got the spg in metric for me, and they got the southern hemisphere compass for me as well.:)
I am very happy with mine.
Best to ask for them when ordering.:smiley2:

Jas.

Silverlode
10-10-2007, 04:55
Not a problem. Yes, we stock both northern and southern compass modules - never hurts to remind us when you order - but we're pretty used to putting the southern in for Australia, New Zealand, etc. We also have metric or imperial analog gauges. The computers, you don't have to worry about as they can all switch either way.

Good to know that Larry. Now I can think about ordering SPG and Compass from you guys as well :smiley20:

subsur
10-11-2007, 14:53
more of a question: if someone travels with a compass from the USA, it should still work as a navigation tool in Australia. it's only the relative measurements that are important to go UW from point A to point B and come back. as I right?

kingfish
10-12-2007, 19:45
A northern hemisphere compass will sit on a strange angle when held level if used in Melbourne.
And when you turn it can stick to the bottom unless you angle the compass off level which can make it very hard to use.

Jas.

danielh03
10-13-2007, 04:50
WOW, I would have never really thought about something so minor until I found this site! So much you don't learn in class!

Silverlode
10-13-2007, 06:33
WOW, I would have never really thought about something so minor until I found this site! So much you don't learn in class!

Yes, it's an interesting forums... plenty to keep us all busy thinking, learning 'wasting' time and spending money. :smilie39: