PDA

View Full Version : Attaching hoses to 1st stage...how tight?

Skinsfan1311
07-16-2007, 07:04
I'm switching theport locations, for my primary & back-up regulator hoses.
<DIV></DIV>How tight do the hose connectors have to be connected to the 1st stage?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

cummings66
07-16-2007, 07:51
It's hard to quantify, I use snug but not excessively tight. To tight and you risk damage and too loose it may come out. I get it finger tight and then go a slight bit more with a wrench. Enough that you can't loosen it by hand yet it's easily done with a wrench.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It doesn't need to be tight to seal by the way, it's just to keep them from falling off.</DIV>

frankc420
07-16-2007, 08:15
Oh man, I guess I should go loosen mine then because I made them pretty snug! I don't think I made them tight enough to warp anything, but I do know I couldn't undo them with my hands if I needed to..

fire diver
07-16-2007, 09:19
I've even had dive shop monkeys put them on too tight. The correct amount of tightness is a "smidge." http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Actually, you should screw them in hand tight, then put a wrench on it and just 'tweek' it down a tiny bit more. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

awap
07-16-2007, 09:54
Scubapro uses a torque spec of 80 inch-pounds. That is just a bit beyod finger tight.

TommyB
07-16-2007, 10:24
Scubapro uses a torque spec of 80 inch-pounds. That is just a bit beyod finger tight.

If you put it on hand tight (transmitter for the aries epic) would the back pressure keep it in place. 5 dives with it, it's only on hand tight.

Should I hand tighten it, then add a little wrench torgue to it?

awap
07-16-2007, 10:41
The problem with stopping at hand tight is it is too easy to come loose a bit and the no-ring will extrude. But hand tight will seal until something loosens it over time. I always gkive mine hand tight and then 1/8 to 1/4 tunr with the wrench. 1/8 works OK with an older o-ring and the 1/4 with a new one on the 1st stage connections.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Some folks will just go hand tight on the LP hose to regulator connections so they can swap out 2nd stages in an emergency. But that doesn't really apply the recreational divers. Looseconnections just tend to get looser unless you check them often. </DIV>

cummings66
07-16-2007, 11:16
I've had my inflator hose loosen up on the first stage, caught it during a predive check. But it never leaked due to the O rings. Really, you just want to avoid cranking down on it and putting the torque to it. Just tight enough to avoid it coming loose is fine. Awap's rough figures are about what I do as well.

Skinsfan1311
07-17-2007, 11:11
Thanks everyone!!

medic001918
07-17-2007, 11:19
It's hard to quantify, I use snug but not excessively tight. To tight and you risk damage and too loose it may come out. I get it finger tight and then go a slight bit more with a wrench. Enough that you can't loosen it by hand yet it's easily done with a wrench.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It doesn't need to be tight to seal by the way, it's just to keep them from falling off.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Have to agree here. Not much more to be said.</DIV>
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

BSea
07-17-2007, 13:19
I've even had dive shop monkeys put them on too tight. The correct amount of tightness is a "smidge." http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Actually, you should screw them in hand tight, then put a wrench on it and just 'tweek' it down a tiny bit more. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I know what a "tweek" is, but not sure about the "Smidge". </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But that's exactly how I tighten mine.</DIV>

WaterRat
07-17-2007, 17:31
<DIV>*Coke Alert*</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Tighten it until it strips then back it off a quarter turn. That way you're a quarter turn from stripping. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That was a joke BTW, Please don't try this at home.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

Skinsfan1311
07-18-2007, 10:45
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think a "smidge" is somewhat similiar to a "tad".....</DIV>

mwhities
07-18-2007, 11:03
I finger tighten it and then just a slight "snug bump" and I'm done. I know it doesn't need to be to tight.

I hope I'm right, I might try to get wet in the pool this weekend, if the sun will ever stay out.

Michael

awap
07-18-2007, 11:04
I finger tighten it and then just a slight "snug bump" and I'm done. I know it doesn't need to be to tight.

I hope I'm right, I might try to get wet in the pool this weekend, if the sun will ever stay out.

Michael

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The key is to check it often to make sure it has not loosened. As log as it does not come lose, it is good.</DIV>

fire diver
07-18-2007, 12:59
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think a "smidge" is somewhat similiar to a "tad".....</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A smidge is a hair away from a skosh. a tad is way too much! Hope this helps.</DIV>

Joew
07-18-2007, 13:10
A smidge is a hair away from a skosh. a tad is way too much! Hope this helps.</div>

Thank you for clarifying.

somewhereinla
07-18-2007, 19:56
not to tight.

Mooosse
07-21-2007, 06:58
The correct term would be German Torque
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>GUDENTIGHT</DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>

JahJahwarrior
07-21-2007, 16:54
What about using a product like Loctite to keep it from coming loose? Red would be overkill, but what about blue? I'm sure it's dis-advised, but I can't see the harm in it.

I just keep them tight. :) I'm not worried about stripping the parts, if they strip that easy, I don't see how they can hold in 3k psi. But, I also know that it only needs to be a little tighter than hand tight, so I don't overdo it. I've never broken any scuba gear :)

dutch552
07-22-2007, 12:27
Never heard of anyone using Loctite on a first stage before. A little twirk with a crescent wrench after finger tight is what I was taught.

TommyB
07-22-2007, 12:53
What about using a product like Loctite to keep it from coming loose? Red would be overkill, but what about blue? I'm sure it's dis-advised, but I can't see the harm in it.

I just keep them tight. :) I'm not worried about stripping the parts, if they strip that easy, I don't see how they can hold in 3k psi. But, I also know that it only needs to be a little tighter than hand tight, so I don't overdo it. I've never broken any scuba gear :)

Not sure if relevant but

Q: Are Loctite products compatible with oxygen?</font></font>

A:</font>Loctite Corporation does not have any products compatible with oxygen or strong oxidizers such as chlorine gas.
</font></font>

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?&amp;pageid=214&amp;layout=2
</font></font>guess that would kill an 02 clean tank?

cummings66
07-22-2007, 15:41
It would make you leary of using higher Nitrox mixes wouldn't it? At any rate nothing more than being tight are needed.

loudgonzo
07-26-2007, 14:41
Haven't had a problem with mine yet, it was hand tight, then snug it up a bit with the wrench. I've been told it's the pressure and not the torque that creates a good "seal".

JahJahwarrior
07-27-2007, 10:46
Good point with the loctite, I don't think it would be a problem with air,but might at higher levels of EAN.....and I wouldn't use it on pure o2. I don't use it all actually, it was just a thought, because I do use it in other areas, like paintball guns, which also have 3k psi of normal air running through them. Never had them blow up :)

TAH 73
07-27-2007, 11:17
I don't think that there would be an issue with the Loctite contaminating, just the fact that the Loctite's strength being degraded with exposure.

OI would be leary in using the Loctite, not with the contamination, but rounding off connections when trying to break the Loctite loose.

Probably not needed in this case, could do more harm than good.