PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Australia

Frank the Tank
10-04-2007, 13:42
My wife and I are traveling to Australia this November. While I would love to be able to dive for the whole time. We are doing a 3 day 2 night liveaboard trip with prodive, they say all equipmment is provided (including wetsuit and dive computer). Does anyone have any experience with this company? I am not able to bring our own equipment because of luggage limitations (beyond the basics ie. mask, etc). I am apprehensive to trust this equipment, but I really dont have a good alternative. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Frank

Reg
10-05-2007, 17:33
Prodive is everywhere is Australia, and its very popular! There are Some large some smaller operations depends what area your going to.

What area are you travelng to?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the gear, Australia has fairly strict safety guidelines and most operators keep their equipment in good order so as not to have any problems.

quarkuud
10-07-2007, 02:33
Prodive is a perfectly reputable company, so you shouldn't have a problem with their gear. I haven't dived with them, but generally rental gear in Australia is very similar to the US. Beat-up but perfectly functional jacket-style BCs, console computer and SPG (maybe no compass), usually Scubapro regs. Queensland requires a safety sausage for boat dives, so if you are diving the GBR or the Yongala they will also provide that.

But if you're really uncomfortable with it, bring your computer and your regs. They aren't too heavy and you'd probably carry them on anyway.

Frank the Tank
10-09-2007, 09:16
Great, thanks guys. We are diving the GBR. Since we are visiting for more than 3 weeks space is limited in our luggage. glad to hear gear is well regulated down under. I cant wait to visit your country. My wife used to live there and loved every minute of it.

Aussie
10-10-2007, 05:08
Luggage on flights from the States are in pieces not weight so you can pack one huge bag and fit everything in. Well thats what I see when I see folks travelling from the States at the airport.

From memory when I dived with prodive on the GBR off Cairns 4 years ago they had Aqualung wave BCD's and Aqualung basic regs (Calypso I think). I think they had Uwatec computers. This was 4 years ago.

From memory they did trips straight out from Cairns. Not bad for a budget trip. I think the trip was like $350-400 aussie dollars. Food was basic but good. Prodive in Cairns is very popular with OW students. They will be on the boat to finish off their course.

Aussie