PDA

View Full Version : where to dive in Hawaii

scubajane
10-04-2007, 14:16
hey scuba crew, hubby and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in the spring, I'm depending on the great scubatoy community to help me discover the best and safest dive companies. we will most likely dive on Maui and Kauai. any help will be greatly appreciated!!!! scuba jane :smiley17:

Zenagirl
10-04-2007, 15:35
We dive Maui every year (we own a timeshare there) and our preferred operator is Ed Robinsons. They are geared toward the more experienced diver and do not take discover scuba folks on their boats. Actually, they don't do any instruction, so if there's a student on board, it isn't an OW student and they bring their own instructor. We've always had excellent experiences with them and will continue to dive with them until there's a reason not to. Other charter operators that are highly recommended by folks are Mike Severns and B&B.

All three operators run 12 pack boats and all dives in Hawaii are guided. They divide up into 2 groups of 6 divers and the DMs do a great job of pointing out critters before and during the dive (on all 3 ops). Mike Severns has a reputation for having very long and detailed marine biology type of dive briefings, and B&B takes both discover scuba and students on their boats (they do a good job of like-grouping divers though). All three let you dive your NDLs or your tanks, whichever comes first.

For guided shore diving, Maui Dreams, Pacific Dive, and Shaka Doug are the ones I've heard most often recommended.

For Lanai, most folks will recommend Extended Horizons out of Lahaina. It's a shorter crossing from Lahaina, which particularly makes a difference on the return trip when the trades pick up and the ride is bumpier. We've always done our Lanai trips with Lahaina Divers, but are going with Ed Robinsons on our trip this year since Lahaina Divers is geared toward a much less experienced diver. We'll see how the longer crossing from Kihei is and make a decision later whether to continue with Ed Robinsons for Lanai dives or give Extended Horizons a shot.

I hope this is helpful information. If I can answer any questions, please ask.

rgerman95
10-04-2007, 16:51
:smiley20::smiley20:

When we were in Kauai in 2006, I used Seasport Divers in Poipu, where all the good diving in Kauai is located. Try Sheraton Caverns to see all the green sea turtles.

They have quite new rental equipment - Scubapro Mk 25 firsts with S600 seconds and new scubapro BCDs.

Rich

TCB
10-04-2007, 18:40
My first diving experience was a Discover Scuba dive at Koloa Landing in Poipu, Kauai with Dive Kauai. It was a great shore dive spot, but I can't comment on their boats. Seasport and Fathom Five seem to get a lot of positive mentions on the forums.

scubajane
10-06-2007, 19:11
[quote=Zenagirl;67997]We dive Maui every year (we own a timeshare there) and our preferred operator is Ed Robinsons. They are geared toward the more experienced diver and do not take discover scuba folks on their boats. Actually, they don't do any instruction, so if there's a student on board, it isn't an OW student and they bring their own instructor. We've always had excellent experiences with them and will continue to dive with them until there's a reason not to. Other charter operators that are highly recommended by folks are Mike Severns and B&B.

How do we find Ed Robinsons? does he have a web site? I'd like to make some arrangements before we go so we don't waste precious hawaiian sunshine.
what do you consider a 'more experienced' diver. we have only 75 dives in 2 years.
how do I find Mike severns and what is Band B thanks, scuba jane

do all dive companies in Hawaii have dive guides on every trip?

diversteve
10-07-2007, 17:49
How do we find Ed Robinsons? does he have a web site?
They call themselves Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures or ERDA. http://www.mauiscuba.com/erd1.htm

what do you consider a 'more experienced' diver. we have only 75 dives in 2 years.That'd be you..assuming some of your dives were around 100' or so. You could do the Molokini Backwall, it's a better dive than inside the crater. Shark Condos is a great dive there but near the limits of rec diving. And it might be a live drop/pickup also. In early Spring you might still hear (feel) the Humpbacks singing back there.
how do I find Mike severns and what is Band B thanks, scuba jane
Mike Severns - http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/. B&B Scuba is another Kihei dive operation: http://www.bbscuba.com/

Severn's has a naturalist/DM so you learn a little on the ride out. Ed Robinson showed my buddy some Mantas on their 3-tank dive. Anybody can find turtles, they live at Turtle Town and on the St. Anthony wreck.
do all dive companies in Hawaii have dive guides on every trip?Most (all?) of them do since they get tourists who've not dove in a while. Some Maui diving can be fairly deep so on those dives some ops put two DM's in the water.

You can shoredive by yourselves - supposed to drag a flag. Shaka Doug, Pacific Dive and Maui Dreams Dive Co. also do guided scooter dives, they're a lot of fun. We did one with Pacific Dive at Airport Beach near Lahaina, it's a better dive farther out from shore.

Where are you staying? Most of the diveboats listed in this post leave from the Kihei boat ramp so from the the Kihei/Wailea area that's 5-10mins. away. But if you're staying near Lahaina or farther north around Kaanapali that's around an hour or more each way depending on traffic. And the Severns boat leaves at 6:15AM sharp.

In the Lahaina area Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers might be a better choice. LD has the big Newton diveboats which are a much nicer when they're not crowded. Midweek once we had 12 on the boat including crew. But they won't typically do the more challenging dives. I've never dove with EH but I know they do their Discover Dives/classes in the afternoon at a shallow site nearby.

I'm not a big fan of Maui Dive Shop. I think their big boat is still out of Maalea which is sort of between Lahaina and Kihei.

Typically the Lahaina boats will go to Lanai and dive the Cathedrals and nearby sites and the Kihei boats will dive Molokini and South Maui sites on the way back in. Since the tradewinds pickup in the afternoon, most boat operators try to be back before noon. It's a long crossing from Lahaina to Molokini, Lahaina Divers does it once a week, that's who I'd do it with from there. Although it's faster to drive to Kihei.

On Kauai we dove with SeaSports. Both for Sheraton Caverns and also rented tanks to shoredive at Koloa Landing. There's several good shoredive sites in south Kauai. Don't try the Caverns as a shoredive, they sometimes have to rescue people who can't get back in from there.

Sheraton Caverns is known for huge turtles resting in the sides of the lava tubes, it's a cool dive. Not too deep either with some overhead where the tubes haven't fallen in on themselves. But you also might want to stay in South Kauai as it's a drive down from the Princeville area. It's rough on Kauai's northshore in Winter (virtually undivable), the waves pound the coast. I'm not sure when that changes in Spring. If Seasports or someone else is doing Niihau when you're there, that's the best diving there is in Hawaii. But a long, rough boat ride over and all day trip.

www.shorediving.com (http://www.shorediving.com) lists shore dive sites off both islands.

Chocoholic
10-07-2007, 20:03
That is cool they do guided shore dives, i had no idea. We are considering Maui for this spring.

scubajane
10-07-2007, 20:11
wow!!! thanks for all the great info. we don't know where we will stay yet. we'll probably pick a dive company and then stay close to them. there are so many dives and companies in Hawaii it is a little overwhelming.
we have been to 95 ft while in the keys. and our local dive site takes us to 90 ft

NinaBo7
10-10-2007, 10:26
I just returned from diving in Maui 9/30-10/4. I also dove with Ed Robinson's, and I stayed in their one bedroom cottage. I really had a fantastic time. I dove with three different guides over the four days and each one was excellent at spotting great stuff, octopus, eels, nudibranchs, rare fish, frogfish. They let me leave my equipment on board so I didn't have to haul it to my car each day.

I dove the back wall of Molokini three out of the fours days, saw sharks, schools of butterfly fish, big puffers. They would ask me each morning where I had already gone, so I didn't go to the same places. I got to see 9 different sites.

Try to get out to Red Hill and the backwall of Molokini. I also enjoyed St. Anthony's, which is an artifical reef and wreck, tons of turtles.

scubajane
10-12-2007, 20:07
great ideas!!! I checked out ed robinson it looks like a really good company. any ideas about diving in kauai????

scubajane
11-17-2007, 17:25
zena girl (or anyone else with knowledge of diving on maui) have you ever dove with maui dreams? they seem to be exclusively shore dives in Kihei. sounds interesting.. they offer shore scooter dives.

Zenagirl
11-18-2007, 07:49
We did our Rescue Certification with Maui Dreams and were very impressed with them. We prefer to boat dive on Maui and when we do shore dive, we typically rent tanks and go ourselves.

We really like diving the front part of Molokini crater as well as the edges, and Shark Condos is definitely cool. There are some amazing S. Maui sites like 85, Red Hill, The Apartments, etc. Lanai is a "must" for every trip to Maui since we never tire of the Cathedrals.

Nobody mentioned that charters on Maui also feed you! Every charter we've done on Maui always provides some kind of snack or food between dives. ERDA even has coffee and bagels at the boat ramp, and Lahaina Divers has coffee and muffins/cake at their shop before you head for the harbor. Everyone also carries water and some have lemonade as well.

We stay in Kaanapali and drive down to Kihei to catch ERDA's boats. No traffic at 5:30 in the morning and a Starbucks (for the husband) along the way. ;) I've heard that their cottages are great and it's nice to have that confirmed by NinaBo here.

Oh yeah, go to Maui Dive Shop's website and have them send you one of their brochures. It's free and has a bunch of directions and pictures for shore diving all over Maui.

scubajane
11-18-2007, 15:00
thanks zena, i'll have them mail brochures

skippy11
11-18-2007, 21:40
Great Info. We are planning Maui SOON I hope.

Scubajane, you will have to give us a trip report once you return.

Zenagirl
11-19-2007, 07:44
I'll post a report when we return from a week on Maui at Christmas. :)

scubajane
11-24-2007, 23:12
Zenagirl.... I can't wait to hear about your trip

WV Diver
11-25-2007, 06:17
Thanks for starting this thread Jane. The wife and I have decided to go to Hawaii for a big 2009 trip and we were wondering some of these same things. I will be starting other threads regarding the diving and other such things in the months to come.

booger
11-28-2007, 18:24
The South side of the Kuaui is great during the winter, but given the time of year that you're going, I would definitely check out "Tunnels" on the North shore. Tons of fish, turtles, and maybe a few things you wouldn't neccessarily want to run into. You can see all kinds of reef fish even when you're just up to your knees in the water. It's great if you have children or non-divers in your group. To top it all off, the drive is very fun and scenic. Parking is a little tricky , so I would consult a good guide book or some locals first.

Have Fun!