PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Squeeze and Sinus Squeeze

Mike126
10-04-2007, 18:52
A couple of weeks ago I had a bad exeperience with reverse squeeze and sinus squeeze. I normally have issues with equalizing and need to take my descents and ascents very slow. It happened at the end of my first dive. I was coming up very slighty (5 feet) and all of a sudden my right ear (my bad ear) suffered a really bad case of reverse squeeze. I stabalized my depth and tried to get equalized but then my sinuses decided to drain big time and I think that may have closed my e-tube.

A long story short... I surfaced and made my way back to shore (a quarry dive). After a couple of hours the pain in my sinuses and ear finally went away.

My Dr. (an ENT diver) looked at my ears and checked my hearing and there is no problem. He has me on a nasal spray to see if that will help. I already use Afrin before I dive per his instructions.

I have noticed that my right ear, even after good dives still has a little pain for a few hours. Whereas my left ear always feels fine. Could this be a residual reverse squeeze? Does anyone else have issues with reverse squeeze or residual pain?

Kokomo
10-04-2007, 19:28
I have issues with my ears. During my certification dives (last year) I had alot of trouble equalizing. The pain was unbearable and I started bleeding from my nose. I finally took Sudafed and things went much better but it was about 6 months before I could hear well out of my ear. Now, (almost 60 dives later) I still use Sudafed before every dive although I don't think I always need to. Sometimes it's more difficult to equalize than others but after almost every dive,it's several days before my ear stops crackling when I swallow. Things are getting better slowly but surely. Start trying to equalize before you descend and do it frequently all through the dive.

Mike126
10-04-2007, 20:33
K - I always do a predive equalization. It helps alot. I guess what was new for me was the severity of the reverse squeeze. Also, an ongoing issue of having the residual pain in my right ear. I even get that when I practice equalizing and not diving.

thor
10-05-2007, 08:36
Do you wear a hood when you dive? That can also make equalizing a little difficult. A good fix for that is to let a little water into your hood. I use Afrin type nosespray, but make sure it is the 12 hour one. I use is about 1-2 hours before the dive.

Boris42
10-05-2007, 08:36
I have to say reverse squeeze worries far more than equalizing. Let's face it, I can always come back up if I'm unable to equalize. But if I'm already down and can't release internal pressure for some reason the options are far more limited.

BobArnold8265
10-05-2007, 10:34
Overall, I've never had problems equalizing but in the past year or so I have experienced some sinus squeeze. Mostly when I come up a little in my dive and then try to desend again. A decongestant (spray or pill) does seem to help.

Krakenn
10-25-2007, 09:05
I opened a thread on Dive Medicine a few months back and there were a few remedies mentioned there that work really well guys. FYI

Kraks