PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy or rent BC for my 15 y/o

EuphoriaII
07-16-2007, 08:23
My 15 y/o son is interested in taking scuba lessons (my 17 y/o is already PADI AOW) and I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to buy a BC for a growing kid.
<DIV>Realistically, my oldest son is too big for his Scubapro Equator (sixe M-L) and I would like to see my youngest in that one. But we tried it on the 15 y/o in the pool yesterday and even adjusted to the smallest size, it's just too big for him. Considering his busy schedule, he will probably only dive a couple times a year on vacation. Should I just plan on using a rental BC for an occasional diver until he grows into his brother's BC?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>No matter what, I plan on buying him a new regulator as i wouldrather have him using gear I know has been maintained and know it's history.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks</DIV>

frankc420
07-16-2007, 09:10
There is no right answer to your question, it's a matter of preference really.

If the vacation spots you go to have a size that will fit him, I don't see any reason to, it would just be a waste of $$ when he's a growing boy. But, if the vacation spot does not have his size, you'll wish you had bought him one. That's how I would look at it and determine whether or not I wanted to buy one.

Another thing to look at is convenience, how convenient is it for you to run to the dive shop to rent one everytime you want to go diving?

EuphoriaII
07-16-2007, 09:49
There is no right answer to your question, it's a matter of preference really.

Another thing to look at is convenience, how convenient is it for you to run to the dive shop to rent one everytime you want to go diving?

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thats a good point. I'm not too big on diving the local muddy lakes but when I do, it's always on Sundays when the LDS is headed there as a group and I would be renting tanks from them anyway.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-16-2007, 10:16
i would say rent for now, or possibly consider an easily adjustable bc. i rented for a while, and it was good for trying out different types - now i know what i like and have my own.

FishFood
07-16-2007, 10:48
A salesman was talking to me about his new BC. He said he could safely put it on a 50lb kid, then take it off and he could wear it. He said it was perfect for those not done growing. But damn if I can't remember the name.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I know it was an Ocean Reed salesman, but OceanReef doesnt make BCs... Hmmm. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>EDIT:</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Here ya go, the company is SeaSoft Scuba. Look at the BCs on their website. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://seasoftscuba.com/index2.php</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>EDIT2:</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just re-read your post. Didn't see hed only be diving a couple times a year. Deffinetly rent.</DIV>

ertechsg
07-16-2007, 11:13
Some LDS(scubatoys) sell thier class equipment cheap. Iasked one time I think they were about $125.Might look into used.

cummings66
07-16-2007, 12:03
I would rent any gear needed for a 15 year old. At that age they're not sure what end is up let alone if they'll like something.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Buy after you know they're enjoying the sport.</DIV>

ScubaJW
07-16-2007, 12:45
Get a bp/w (backplate and wing), guaranteed that it will fit him for the rest of his life. It's very adjustable in everything. I suggest you to check it out and research on that.

Judestudio
07-16-2007, 18:45
Get a bp/w (backplate and wing), guaranteed that it will fit him for the rest of his life. It's very adjustable in everything. I suggest you to check it out and research on that.
Second to that. All you need is a $10 harness when he out-grown the original one. Not only will it fit him for the rest of his life, it'll probably last forever as well. Unless he manage to break the stainless steel plate...smileys/smiley2.gif

Another option is to go with a Zeagle BC, like the Brigade or Stilleto. They're modular, so you can change over shoulder and vest sizes if he ever need new ones. Quality is top notch, customer service is also second to none.

EuphoriaII
07-17-2007, 15:31
Second to that. All you need is a $10 harness when he out-grown the original one. Not only will it fit him for the rest of his life, it'll probably last forever as well. Unless he manage to break the stainless steel plate...smileys/smiley2.gif

Another option is to go with a Zeagle BC, like the Brigade or Stilleto. They're modular, so you can change over shoulder and vest sizes if he ever need new ones. Quality is top notch, customer service is also second to none.

<DIV>Now there's an idea (BP/W). Or even the Zeagle. Somthing that could be adjusted to work for him. WIth that, he could grow into the Scubapro Equator or my Knighthawk and I could use the BP/W myself later on.</DIV>

frankc420
07-17-2007, 17:09
Worse case, none of you dive the BP/W setup and you get ready to sell it. Resale rate on BP/W setups is much better than resale rate on Jacket style BC's. Trust me, from experience!

Lucky(AR)
07-17-2007, 17:14
i think i would rent too its really a personal choice but my 14 year old cousin was gun ho and his parents spents about 1600 on gear he dove twice and lost intrest,,alot of money to be spent and wasted i think they sold all the gear for 1000.00 or so

EuphoriaII
07-18-2007, 15:26
Another thing I just considered. When my older son and I first started diving and got our 'back inflate' BC's, we had difficulty staying upright on the surface. We're fine with it now and I think either of the two of us would be fine with a BP/W but not sure I want a new diver to face that, especially when he does his first ocean dives so I will likely hold off on a BC for him and just rent them, unless I find a good deal on something used

medic001918
07-18-2007, 15:39
I found that with my BP/W it doesn't put my face down in the water. My I just compensate without realizing it. But the BP/W definatly has countless advantages. Especially in this case where growth and sizing becomes an issue, as well as attention span.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 03:32
Another thing I just considered. When my older son and I first started diving and got our 'back inflate' BC's, we had difficulty staying upright on the surface. We're fine with it now and I think either of the two of us would be fine with a BP/W but not sure I want a new diver to face that, especially when he does his first ocean dives so I will likely hold off on a BC for him and just rent them, unless I find a good deal on something used
Re back inflate (bc or bp/w): Just lean back, man. :-) Lay more on your back, and suddenly it's no problem.

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 00:05
If he's only going to dive on vacation, renting isn't a bad option. If he's going to dive around home, especially if you and he are the impulsive types, having his own BC makes sense. It's nice just to loadup the car and go dive rather than having to go to the shop, rent gear, go dive, return to the shop, etc.

EuphoriaII
07-22-2007, 22:38
Although we need to swing by they shop to rent tanks anyway. But still, after cert and following up with AOW, I don't dive locally as much as I used to and I doubt he will either

Krakenn
07-27-2007, 22:09
While I agree with all the comments made have you had a look at the Mares LE BCD on the ST website. They are on clearance at $299. I brought one a few months back and they are a nice snug fitting BCD with airtrim.

These are really cheap and if you ask Larry for a package deal he might be able to do something for you with a reg as well. (Can only ask)

PS I dont work for ST Im an Australian. But this may solve your problems efficiently and economically for a few years and you could sell the BCD in a few years and have saved any rental costs while knowing your primary asset in life is in a safe and reliable unit that takes alot of punishment.

Food for thought M8.

Krakenn

Krakenn
07-28-2007, 02:50
Sorry M8 - Forget what I said about the LE Mares - ST has them on a further special of $249 and they only have them in small size now.

Krakenn

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 07:13
I saw something in the ST shop that may be the answer to your problem.

It is a Zeagle accessory http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleLumbarPad

It states in the blurb that it "As another note... it is large enough to take up almost a half size in the BC, so if you have a large BC, but now have lost some weight, and really probably could use a medium... the other option is toss in one of these pads. "

I hope this helps as it would offer a cheap alternative to the new BC route.

Ajuva

jbres1
08-07-2007, 15:45
I vote for the BP/W.
I got a bc for my daughter a little over a year ago, Scubapro Ladyhawk (small), well it fit for one year. She now has both a Sherwood Luna and a BP/W set up to pick from.
I sold the Ladyhawk on E-bay for $250.00. So if I had gone the BP/W route in the first place I would only need to spend $50.00 every few years for new webbing and clips.

Jim Breslin

ChrisA
08-08-2007, 15:37
My son was 14 years old. I compromised and bought a rental BC from a local shop. The shops always need to sell of their rentals. Buying one is worth it only if you can find a really good deal. like say $100. Look on scubaboard for a used BC or the LDS for a rental.

If you tried it on in a pool did he have a wetsuit on? A wetsuit can make about a 1/2 size difference

The other question I have is if "vacation diving" is even safe. Need to do it more then once a year

mike_s
08-08-2007, 16:18
I think Dive Rite has a program that allows you to upgrade a BC for a youth as they grow. Check with your LDS to see about that program.

Krakenn
08-16-2007, 05:49
So at the end of the day what did you decide to do for your lad?

Krakenn

cgvmer
08-16-2007, 08:07
i just bought a bp/w for myself. My 14 yr old son, didn't like the hog harness but he did like a diverite transplate harness. I haven't bought anything yet for him as my cousin gave me a couple old bcd he can use. but that is the route I was going.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-16-2007, 08:44
if you plan on going diving less than 5 times a year just rent one.

texarkandy
08-16-2007, 18:38
I bought my young-un and myself our own new equipment partially for safety reasons. I have a Brigade & she has a Zena. Here was my rationale:

As a new diver I want her to have good muscle memory of how her BC operates - not have to dive a different BC everytime we go somewhere to dive and have to deal with even differences in inflators, weight systems, straps & buckles, etc. I also felt using the same BC for every dive will make it easier to develop more instinctive buoyancy control as she gets more dives under her belt. (I figure there's plenty of time for her to get used to different equipment later when she has more experience)

I want her to have a more instinctive knowledge of how MY inflator, weight releases, dumps, etc operate (as well as me hers) in the event one of us ever needs to help the other out with something while down under or on the surface. Many features of my/her BC’s are the same, both being Zeagle.

As a new diver, I want her to have a comfort/familiarity factor with the fit/feel of her BC. If she were ever in a tight-spot, I don’t want a BC that doesn’t "feel" right to add to any task-loading she might have to deal with. (She loves the fit/feel of her Zena, says the front panel makes her feel secure, that may change later as she gains experience and she may want something less restrictive on her body, but for now as long as she crows about how she likes the fit/feel - I’m happy and my comfort level as a Dad is increased)

I was not too impressed with the age/condition of the rental gear we used in our OW class (note: NOT through ScubaToys BTW). If it is indicative of what we could possibly encounter renting gear in the future at different locations, considering we are new divers I’ll take the safety factors I outlined above & pay the $ for the peace of mind of “knowing” our gear well.

I consider the new gear we bought to be pretty much “entry level” anyway. Our diving for now is entirely recreational, of moderate depths, and only in good water vis/temp conditions. After much reading & discussion with others I came to the conclusion that most all of the gear produced by the major reputable manufacturers is “good” and safe. I wonder if some of the differences in higher-end gear can really be noticed/appreciated that much by “noob” recreational divers such as ourselves anyway. I know down the road with more experience we will be replacing it (& hope for both of us to try out BP/W setups in the interim, as much as I’ve heard about them – or not, who knows)

While there is the possibility my young-un may lose interest in diving (& will grow out of it someday, though replaceable components on the Zena may prolong that a little) the safety factors more than offset the $ I will lose in resale value in my mind (mitigated by the $ not-spent renting gear).

That’s just my 2 psi worth, others may differ for different valid reasons…..

Oh, and the Final Factor: Joe made me an offer I couldn’t refuse!!!

CentralTxDiver
08-19-2007, 21:37
I vote for renting a back inflated BC...maybe a bp/w.

greyzen
08-20-2007, 17:45
I would defiantly agree with texarkandy (http://forum.scubatoys.com/member.php?u=77) about keeping the models similar. Not having to remember fourteen different makes and models of BC in an emergency situation is defiantly worth the cost.

dmdoss
08-20-2007, 23:34
I have to rent my sons. He's growing like a weed, and I can't afford buying a new bc every year.