PDA

View Full Version : AI Wrist Computers with buddy transmitters.

Cichlid
10-04-2007, 22:25
Let's say I buy the Oceanic VT3 Dive Computer with 2 extra transmitters for my two buddies. How do they monitor their own info? Can they have their own gauges or computer hooked up as well? Also, could they buy the same computer and then we all could moniter eachother?

Chad
10-05-2007, 09:05
They can either purchase a compatible computer to use the wireless or just plug their spg into the other high pressure port on the 1st stage.

CompuDude
10-05-2007, 12:09
They can either purchase a compatible computer to use the wireless or just plug their spg into the other high pressure port on the 1st stage.

What he said. Assuming they have two HP ports on their first stage... there are some older, and some lower end ones, that do not.

That's a LOT of money to spend to check your buddy's gauge, though! Asking is free. ;) And frankly, considering the limited range of the transmitters, you could almost reach over and take a look for yourself.

Netsloth
10-05-2007, 12:21
My dive buddy and I both dive VT3. You don't have to buy another transmitter, if he's got his installed, you can set it up in your computer.

I might be misunderstanding the question, but you can have up to three members in a team with VT3's, and each be able to see the other member's pressures, just by programming their transmitter serials into each of the computers.

CompuDude
10-05-2007, 12:56
My dive buddy and I both dive VT3. You don't have to buy another transmitter, if he's got his installed, you can set it up in your computer.

I might be misunderstanding the question, but you can have up to three members in a team with VT3's, and each be able to see the other member's pressures, just by programming their transmitter serials into each of the computers.

The OP wrote "Let's say I buy the Oceanic VT3 Dive Computer with 2 extra transmitters for my two buddies."

I read that to mean his buddies do not have VT3s and he's just being generous, and gaining the ability to check their pressure. They of course would need their own VT3s to read the transmitters as well.

I'm pretty sure you can buy a VT3 with or without the transmitter, so a friend having a VT3 is not a guarantee that they have their own transmitter... but if they do, no need for the OP to buy extras.

Cichlid
10-06-2007, 17:20
Thanks guys, you answered my question. Thanks for covering all the "what ifs" too! :smiley32:

The reason for my question is my wife, brother-in-law, and I will all be in the market for a computer/spg. My wife doesn't want anything fancy, but I do. :smiley2: Also, my bro-in-law will most likely will be with us when we dive. I was trying to think of the most cost effective way for all of us to get the most out of a computer, while they still were able to monitor their own info. Make sense? :smiley5: If you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

CompuDude
10-08-2007, 12:19
Thanks guys, you answered my question. Thanks for covering all the "what ifs" too! :smiley32:

The reason for my question is my wife, brother-in-law, and I will all be in the market for a computer/spg. My wife doesn't want anything fancy, but I do. :smiley2: Also, my bro-in-law will most likely will be with us when we dive. I was trying to think of the most cost effective way for all of us to get the most out of a computer, while they still were able to monitor their own info. Make sense? :smiley5: If you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

If you all want AI, but they don't want "fancy" (although once you start talking wireless AI, I don't know how it could be anything but "fancy"), just buy all Oceanic gear. I think they have higher-end wireless AI and somewhat lower end. They all use the same type of transmitter, though (I would confirm this, but I'm fairly sure), so even if their computers are lower end compared to yours, you'll still be able to buddy-check their air, although they might be able to do the same with yours.

Another option may be to try to pick up used Oceanic transmitters, if you can find some, and get the VT3 for you and regular, non-AI computers for them but attach the used transmitters so you can monitor (failure is pretty much a non-event in this setup).

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 13:03
They would need their own computer to monitor their pressure (if they went that route), or just a standard SPG.

The idea is that each person has a VT3, with a monitor on each others first stage, so you can just check w/o having to ask.

Danny

Charlotte Smith
10-08-2007, 17:16
We have the new Atmos Epic AI computers and my husband and I can monitor each others pressure at all times...its a great thing but it WAS a little pricey even with the deal we got on them...

cummings66
10-08-2007, 17:28
I'm not sure it's worth it just to monitor you buddies pressure. I dive with some buddies who have it and I know their serial number, in fact I have it in the computer. I have never switched it on because it's just as easy to look at the SPG.

PS, regarding 2 HP ports it's not just old first stages that don't have them. My DS4 doesn't either, admittedly it's been around a while now but it is current.