PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel in Mid December

Carlitoboy
10-05-2007, 10:49
Howdy divers!

I'm headed out to Cozumel in mid December of this year. I'm staying at the Grand Coz which is around the south-west corner of the island. Apparantly that's the place to be for dive sites. I was wondering if anyone can share any experiences, recommendations, warnings, or favorite site for a recreational dive? I'm thinking of bringing a 3 mil shorty, would that be enough? Or do you even need skin out there?

I can't wait!!!

DevilDiver
10-05-2007, 11:16
Southern end has always been my favorite. All dive sites are great there. There are more than you can do in one trip and most likley they will take you to the clasics anyway.
Horseshoe, Bricks, Santa Rosa, Paradieso, Punta Tuniche, Marcarbo, Columbia, ect.......
You can't go wrong, have fun!

Tableleg
10-05-2007, 19:05
I'll be down there the afternoon of the 19 when my cruise ship docks at Playa del Carmen. Charlotte Smith here in the forums will also be there around the same time! We should definintely all get together and do something. Here's what I've been looking at so far:

http://www.tankha.com/dive_cenote.html

http://www.tankha.com/dive_onetank.html

http://www.tankha.com/dive_night.html

chace_nicole
10-07-2007, 16:50
I'll be down there Dec 16-23! Can't wait, staying at El Cozumeleno.
Anyone stayed there before? It gets great reviews...Only thing is, its not on the south end :smiley13:, but the non-divers veto'd and wanted to stay closer to town.

chace_nicole
10-07-2007, 16:53
Howdy divers!

I'm headed out to Cozumel in mid December of this year. I'm staying at the Grand Coz which is around the south-west corner of the island. Apparantly that's the place to be for dive sites. I was wondering if anyone can share any experiences, recommendations, warnings, or favorite site for a recreational dive? I'm thinking of bringing a 3 mil shorty, would that be enough? Or do you even need skin out there?

I can't wait!!!

I'm taking a 3/2 full. This will be my 1st dive down there, but a 3mil is what many have advised me to take. I picked full because I get chill easily.

jwagner
10-07-2007, 18:35
I'll be there again in Jan. I think it is more comfortable in the winter then in the summer. I dive in a 3 mm henderson year around. I only got cool when the sun was behind the clouds during our SI. I have only used Papa Hog's in Cozumel, and have never had a bad dive in with them. Margret was real helpful with helping us choose a good dive for our group, and real flexible on scheduling and everything.

Divingguy
10-07-2007, 19:40
If you are doing multiple dives on sequential days I recommend a 3/2 full suit, and a jacket for the boat ride / SI. Once you start losing core temp it is much harder to get back.

ParrotheadDiver
10-08-2007, 07:16
Carlitoboy is from Canada....sooo it may feel like summer to him :-)....so a 3mm shorty may be enough.....but for us from Texas and the south.....I take a 3mm in Dec.....if a Norte blows through the winds can be chilly and a windbreaker and a knit/polortec hat will feel good after you get back on the boat....I even dive in a 3mm in the summer when I go to Coz:smiley2:

favorites have already been mentioned anything along Palancar is great....Maricabo is my fave....you are pretty far from town....my advice is to rent a car for the week cab fares can add up if you go to town daily/nightly....

If you are there over Sunday don't miss the square/plaza on Sunday night....a band plays and the locals come out to listen and dance and have a good time....lot's of fun....try to eat in town a few times the local food is much better than anything hotels/resorts serve.....Casa Denis & Especias are a couple of my favorites....to miss the cruise ship traffic go after 6:00pm most have gotten back on the ship during the day it is madness...

You should also visit the east/wild side of the island beautiful water Coconuts or Mezcalitos is a great place to chill have a cervesa or some shrimp and just watch the water.....Chen Rio is a nice beach to visit also....

I have just scratched the surface on Coz....and now I have made myself want to go back :smiley13:....not sure if this is your first visit but I hope you have a great time

liuk3
10-09-2007, 19:20
I'll be there from Dec. 23-30 for our one year wedding anniversary. I can't wait. It will be our first time there, and we will be staying at the Cozumel Palace Resort.

Scubastud16
10-09-2007, 20:29
I'll be making a cruise-stop to Coz in late December/early January (don't know the exact date), but I'll be taking my 3mm. Can't friggin WAIT!

lucidblue
10-09-2007, 20:35
I think I'd like to go back to Coz over New Year's. Was going to try a new destination, but might save that for later in the year when I can plan further in advance.

Cissycox
10-09-2007, 20:50
I will be there Dec 19th and have dove there in the Spring and summer. I highly reccommend a 3/2 and a tropical hood. A thick warm Boat jacket and big towel is also a good thing to have on the long rides back to your hotel on the south end.

I stay at casa Del Mar and use Dive with Martin shop.

Enjoy your visit!:smiley20:

Carlitoboy
10-10-2007, 09:57
My, My! Cozumel is a real hot spot, eh!!

Thanks for the advice folks! It's true, I'm definitly exposed to some cold a$5 weather during the winter out here. But still, a 3/2mm and a light jacket for the boat ride sounds like a good idea. It would be great to hook up a group-dive with those of you headed out during the same time. I'll be there from the 13th to the 20th. Man, I'm all excited... I even brought my DC wrist to the office today to sim dives... :p

SYOTABUCS
10-10-2007, 14:58
I'll be down there Dec 16-26! Can't wait, staying at El Cozumeleno.
Anyone stayed there before? It gets great reviews...Only thing is, its not on the south end :smiley13:, but the non-divers veto'd and wanted to stay closer to town.

We will be there Dec. 23-30. Staying at Caribe Blue and diving with Blue Angel.

Christmas in Cozumel. :)

ertechsg
10-10-2007, 15:18
I think I'd like to go back to Coz over New Year's. Was going to try a new destination, but might save that for later in the year when I can plan further in advance.
I would love to go down for the carnival in late Jan lookes like fun

I'll be down there Dec 16-26! Can't wait, staying at El Cozumeleno.

We will be there Dec. 23-30. Staying at Caribe Blue and diving with Blue Angel.

Christmas in Cozumel. :) you want to be close to town it beats staying on the resort the entire time go walk at night and have a shot and cervesa

chace_nicole
10-10-2007, 18:16
A group dive sounds like a great idea if you guys don't mind a newby! :)

CaptainRon
10-10-2007, 21:12
I'll be making a cruise-stop to Coz in late December/early January (don't know the exact date), but I'll be taking my 3mm. Can't friggin WAIT!
I will be there on Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas docking on Jan 11th. I have arrangements with Dive with Christina. She will delay her usual departure for us. Are you on this cruise by chance?

mchesler
10-11-2007, 09:41
I just got back from Cozumel this past Sunday. We stayed at the Occidental Grand Cozumel from Saturday, Sept 29th through Sunday, Oct 7th and dove Sunday through Friday. 14 dives in six days (2 tanks each morning and a twilight/night combo on Friday). I dove a 3mm Shorty the whole week and was very comfortable (the bottom temp was 82-84 fahrenheit every day, even on the night dives). We did all of our dives with Dive Palancar, which is the onsite dive shop. They've gotten mixed reviews online, but we were extremely satisfied with them. If you're planning on taking any classes or just want an excellent dive master/instructor to go along with you, definitely ask for Pablo. Buying 10 tanks up front will get you a $3/tank discount for the whole trip. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Carlitoboy
10-17-2007, 17:13
I just got back from Cozumel this past Sunday...

That's where I'll be at so that's perfect feedback for me, thanks!

I've also read mixed reviews about Dive Palancar. But, if Pablo is the man to look out for, I'll give it a try.

Cheers!

moosicman
10-17-2007, 22:08
i'll be going to cozumel on a cruise on the 13th of december....will be in cozumel actually on the 15th.....getting married on the way down!....i'm hoping to dive with blue angel maybe...or maybe papa hogs or whatever it is....it will be one of my first dives after cert.

Travelnsj
10-17-2007, 23:39
I was in Coz in Jan 05. The water was about 79....I wore a shorty with a vest it was a bit chilly....I would recommend at least a 1mm full suit under a shorty.

In my top 10 dives was one at Paradise....about 40' 5 big Eagle Rays came in and swam around us...then saw seahorses etc.....great dive.