PDA

View Full Version : Buying Tank, What comes with it?

RoadRacer1978
10-05-2007, 10:52
Looking at the tanks for sale on Scubatoys I know that they all come with valves and current vis. Was wondering about curent hydro. Looking at each of the tanks they all mention Vis, but not hydro, except the AL63 tank.

If you don't need all the capacity of an 80, maybe a 63 is perfect for you. Ideal for smaller divers, women, or folks who just don't need that much air. Still rated at 3000 psi, they are about 3 inches shorter and about 3 lbs lighter than a standard 80 tank. (Same 7.25 diameter).

Like all our tanks - includes, valve, current hydro and visual.

Taken from scubatoys website. The last part is what interested me. Says all tanks have current hydro and vis, but since none of the other tanks mention hydro was wondering if they do indeed come with this as well.

Maybe I am just too new to know better, do all tanks when purchased have current hydro. I ask because if a tank sat in a shop for over 5 years wouldn'y it be out of hydro then? Just wondering, thanks in advance.

Charles R
10-05-2007, 10:59
All tanks will have a current hydro unless they have been sitting in the shop for a long time! they do a Hydro test on the tank when they manufactur them and then every 5 years after that I am sure Scuba toys will sell you a tank with a current and good hydro date on it!:smiley20:

CompuDude
10-05-2007, 12:27
Maybe I am just too new to know better, do all tanks when purchased have current hydro. I ask because if a tank sat in a shop for over 5 years wouldn'y it be out of hydro then? Just wondering, thanks in advance.

No, that's a very good question to ask. I doubt ScubaToys is a shop that falls into this category, but I have heard many times that divers have purchased tanks and only later noticed that they were originally hydro'd a year or two ago. Personally, when buying a "new" tank, I expect the hydro date to be within the past 6 months or else I expect a discount. If a shop ever sold me a tank that was actually OUT of hydro (5 years old!!!!) I would be returning it immediately unless I bought it at a serious discount with full disclosure.

Visual inspection stickers should always be current from the month you bought the tank so you get a full year out of them before you have to have them inspected again.

mike_s
10-05-2007, 12:42
You'll hardly ever find a hydro date that is done within the current month, unless it's just a high volume tank dealer that got in a shipment quickly from the manufacturer.

At most high volume tank dealers, I'd expect a hydro date to be 2 to 4 months old when you buy the tank.

at most small lower volume LDS's, I'd expect 6 months or older. Sometimes over one year. Check your date and if it's over 6 months old or at least a year old, try to negotiate a better deal.

You'll often see some bigger shops have 'tank deals' on tanks that are of older hydro dates also. If it's on sale, check to see why. Divers Direct does this often, but they are usually upfront about it. The deal that offer also more than outweighs getting a tank a few months older.

Black-Gorrilla
10-05-2007, 15:21
i bought a tank that had the same month hydro. they had 3 like that at the time... never again have i seen a tank like that.

rktman26
10-05-2007, 19:27
Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to hydro a tank?

ScubaToys Larry
10-05-2007, 19:31
Varies a bit... but for example, we get $30 for the Hydro, Visual and Fill.

rktman26
10-05-2007, 19:37
Thanks. I don't own one, I was just curious.

datamunk
10-05-2007, 20:21
yea people pretty much covered it. depending on the shop etc, hydros will normally be "current" which means, its within 5 years. but always double check...

as for VIP, i worked in a dive shop and every time a person bought a tank(s), i would take it, or tell someone else who was certified, to go VIP it in the back and we would fill it there, just to make sure they are suitable.

so, just know when it comes itll be empty ;)

scubaman450
08-16-2009, 18:18
The first tank I got was 2 years into it's hydro....My bad then the next tank was the same so I tell the LDS sales man about it and he cut $50 off the P-tag and give me a net for it as well as a boot and Val cap!
Dale

baywatch106
08-18-2009, 07:57
My local hydro shop charges 20$ for my pony, If I took to my LDS they charge 35$. Now all they do is take it to the same place that I took my pony to.

Vercingetorix
08-18-2009, 11:33
When ST sold a tank to me, the hydro was about 2 months old; they are high-volume dealer. Viz insp was that day. Valve cap included. Tank was filled. Boot was extra.

Jack Hammer
08-18-2009, 13:12
Old thread.

I bought my doubles new online, they showed up with a hydro stamp that was within the last week and a half. All my other tanks have been within 6 months, most have been 2-3 months. I've always asked what the hydro date is on a tank before I've bought it, I've never had someone decline to tell me what it'll be.

Jack

WD8CDH
08-21-2009, 15:28
I think an LSD charging $10 or $15 over the hydro shop is perfectly reasonable if that includes remove and replace valve, new tank o-ring etc.

Personally, I prefer to remove my manifolds myself from multiple tank rigs. In that case, I may go directly to the hydro shop.

jupitertreasures
09-28-2009, 10:51
My local hydro shop charges 20$ for my pony, If I took to my LDS they charge 35$. Now all they do is take it to the same place that I took my pony to.

But does the hydro facility also do you vis?

I can get a hydro inexpensively here but then have to take the tank to a LDS and get is vis'd as well.
It ends up costing the same.

jupitertreasures
09-28-2009, 10:55
If the shop is a high volume shop,(like ST) you can expect to get a hydro that's very recent.
What would really suck is getting tanks that are 2 or 3 years into the factory hydro and though it's true, they are in current hydro, they're well into current hydro.
If I were buying new, I'd want a brand spanking new hydro unless I was getting one hell of a deal.

jupitertreasures
09-28-2009, 11:04
Kinda like buying a brand spanking new 2006 automobile in 2009 @ 2009 prices.

Tekdivr
09-28-2009, 11:25

I can get a hydro inexpensively here but then have to take the tank to a LDS and get is vis'd as well.

I don't believe the hydro facilities perform the visual. The cylinders we send out for hydro, come back to us stamped, but we still have to perform the visual part of the inspection. That includes checking the internal surface, inspecting for cracks near the neck area, straight edging the exterior and replacing the o-ring.

in_cavediver
09-28-2009, 11:45

I don't believe the hydro facilities perform the visual. The cylinders we send out for hydro, come back to us stamped, but we still have to perform the visual part of the inspection. That includes checking the internal surface, inspecting for cracks near the neck area, straight edging the exterior and replacing the o-ring.

The hydro places do as part of the hydrostatic test. Its a 2-3 part process. Hydro, visual inspection and for some tanks eddy current test. You don't get a stamp unless it passes everything.

Tekdivr
09-28-2009, 22:19

The hydro places do as part of the hydrostatic test. Its a 2-3 part process. Hydro, visual inspection and for some tanks eddy current test. You don't get a stamp unless it passes everything.

Since I was under the impression that all they did was a hydro pressure test, I guess I need to question the company doing them. We used to send them to Fire Stop,locally,and they were bought out by Cintas. I was always told that all they did was, over pressurize the cylinder, in a water tank, and measure the rise in water level. This measurement, in turn, allowed them to determine if the tank stretched too much under pressure. I know for a fact that they don't replace the valve oring or lube the threads after hydroing. Maybe different facilities handle it in other ways. Thanks for the info IN, I'll get the rest of the story, on my end and see what's really going on.