PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Rescue July 2007

Vercingetorix
07-16-2007, 10:15
What a great class we had. Lotsa information. Lotsa fun. Even though we hit a bit of a snag on Saturday, diving at Athens was a real treat. I'd never been there and it was nice to dive without a wetsuit. (Although when I put on myBP/W on my bare backafter that SSplate brolied in the hot Texas sun...well, let's just say I know what a rack of ribs feels like on the grill.)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A BIG THANKS TO:</DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>
<DIV>Ken</DIV>
<DIV>Platy</DIV>
<DIV>Tom</DIV>
<DIV>Greg</DIV>
<DIV>Diane (our Beach Babe)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Class:</DIV>
<DIV>Barry</DIV>
<DIV>Bruce</DIV>
<DIV>Clay</DIV>
<DIV>David</DIV>
<DIV>Jason</DIV>
<DIV>Rick</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>And Thanks to Joe, Larry, and Greg Williams for making this course happen.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Finally, David brought brats and fajitas, which a few of us enjoyed on Saturday. Good Eats!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Class photo here (http://www.richardemery.com/scuba/photos/Rescue_072007.JPG)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-16-2007, 14:11
Was definitely a great class and has changed how I look at diving quite a bit, specifically how I watch other divers. Looking forward to starting down the TA/DM road later this year.

For those not aware, I'm David.

frankc420
07-16-2007, 14:52
Ok now, You've got me wanting to take my rescue class w/ Scubatoys... Oh Michael... you ready to take a trip to Carrolton?

Vercingetorix
07-16-2007, 15:38
Ok now, You've got me wanting to take my rescue class w/ Scubatoys... Oh Michael... you ready to take a trip to Carrolton? It's gotta be a two-week trip.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Week 1 - Tues/Thurs classroom</DIV>
<DIV>Week 2 - Tues/Thurs pool</DIV>
<DIV>Week 2 - Sat/Sun - Open water all day</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oh yeah, our class was a bit unorthodox. We asked Woody if he'd ever had a class quite like ours. He said ours was one of the least professional he had. Woohoo!!! High-five's all round. We set new, high standards for low behavior. That said, when it was time to rescue, we were all business (mostly).</DIV>

TommyB
07-16-2007, 16:25
David is awesome! Even brought the brats and such to our OW class.
Made for a great first day at CSSP!!

I think most of that Sat rescue class hung out with the noob OW class on Sat just to see if they might get to rescue a noobie from their own foolishness :)

-- Hi David--
I'm the one with the toy that had the crimson trace wink / wink
But next time you blow an O'ring can you do it underwater so I can see what it looks like there instead of on the surface !!

regards
Tommy ---

mwhities
07-16-2007, 16:45
Ok now, You've got me wanting to take my rescue class w/ Scubatoys... Oh Michael... you ready to take a trip to Carrolton?

If we could do AOW (or at least myself) and then rescue, I'm all about it.

Michael

frankc420
07-16-2007, 16:48
After seeing the schedule I don't think it's gonna happen. Sorry! smileys/smiley19.gif

Vercingetorix
07-16-2007, 17:08
-- Hi David--
But next time you blow an O'ring can you do it underwater so I can see what it looks like there instead of on the surface !! Ahhh...you're responsible!!! I was David's dive partner for Rescue. On Rescue Day 2, my rig blew an o-ring on my inflator. I was 15 feet down and spewing air. (To his credit, though, David was not my buddy on this particular rescue...but the jinx was on). I had 800 pounds of air, so I casually finned to the surface at the recommended rate.

TxHockeyGuy
07-16-2007, 17:11
But next time you blow an O'ring can you do it underwater so I can see what it looks like there instead of on the surface !!

regards
Tommy ---

I try to avoid such things when possible. But it just goes to show you that the things they teach you in OW are very important. That could just as easily happened 3 minutes later down at the platform. At least I managed to get to my valve and only lose a few hundred psi. On a side note, do you know if you can reach your valve?

TxHockeyGuy
07-16-2007, 17:15
-- Hi David--
But next time you blow an O'ring can you do it underwater so I can see what it looks like there instead of on the surface !! Ahhh...you're responsible!!! I was David's dive partner for Rescue. On Rescue Day 2, my rig blew an o-ring on my inflator. I was 15 feet down and spewing air. (To his credit, though, David was not my buddy on this particular rescue...but the jinx was on). I had 800 pounds of air, so I casually finned to the surface at the recommended rate.

If I had been your buddy on that particular scenario my octo would have been ready and at the waiting for you. But just another instance of needing to know how to properly handle a situation, even if it was only at 15 ft.

I'm curious, did you disconnect the LP hose at depth or at the surface? I didn't think to ask out at Athens.

woody
07-16-2007, 17:29
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think we can arrange something!</DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>

TommyB
07-16-2007, 17:42
I try to avoid such things when possible. But it just goes to show you that the things they teach you in OW are very important. That could just as easily happened 3 minutes later down at the platform. At least I managed to get to my valve and only lose a few hundred psi. On a side note, do you know if you can reach your valve?

After watching you just casually reach back and shut yours down, I tried to see if I could reach mine on saturday.

Let's just say;

Having a hard time reaching my reg over the top. Even with reaching around and lifting the tank.
Tried reaching the valve, but kept grabbing the wireless transmitter..(I'll have to look, I think think the transmitter is sitting right over the value.)

I'll need to work on getting this new brigade to sit a little better.
Not sure if the tank is too low, or if it's the new layout of the reg / octo / wireless.
May have to change the way everything is hooked up / arranged..

Divingguy
07-17-2007, 15:14
Sometimesin situations like what Rick had with a BC hose that went freeflow on him you can bend that hose over on itself and stop the flow.
<DIV>Tom</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-17-2007, 16:14
Sometimesin situations like what Rick had with a BC hose that went freeflow on him you can bend that hose over on itself and stop the flow.
<DIV>Tom</DIV> I just disconnected it from the inflator mechanism to stop it..

Divingguy
07-18-2007, 10:45
Never mind me. I misunderstood the problem. I thought it was the hose coupler itself that went bad. You handled it well.