PDA

View Full Version : What is your Best/Favourtie Dive Location of all times

Reg
10-05-2007, 18:04
With so many places to travel in the world I thought it would nice to get an idea for my next travel destination

ScubaToys Larry
10-05-2007, 19:29
Hey Reg... This is not a fair poll... How many of us have been to all those places! If you have... we hate you! :smiley36:

I was in Australia last June - but didn't get to dive. Coming back this June and will - up north of Coffs, then over to Tawali for a few days. So my vote may change by then!

I wonder if it was changed to "If you just won a 10 day trip to any of these dive destinations... all expenses paid - which would you take?" That might produce different results.

Cause really... I'd take any of them!

tedwhiteva
10-05-2007, 19:34
Gotta add Galapagos - that was my favorite:smiley32:

WV Diver
10-05-2007, 20:42
What about Bonaire? That's my favorite place.............so far.

Kokomo
10-05-2007, 21:09
I second the Bonaire!

awb
10-06-2007, 12:33
How about Cozumel??? That pole dosen"t have a 3rd of the best sites.

Reg
10-06-2007, 16:04
For some reason the poll didn't let me add over ten locations, so i couldn't add them all. No i haven't been to all these places, but i'm interested to see what forum members consider to be their best dive location...

CaribbeanDiver
10-06-2007, 16:25
What about the Caribbean? Bonaire, Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize. And I guess you consider the Bahamas unworthy too, huh? Cant vote on a poll that doesnt even include Bonaire, in a recent Scuba Diver Magazine article, Bonarie was voted the best dive site. Roatan was 5th, I believe.

RoadRacer1978
10-06-2007, 17:41
I'll let ya'll know in a few years :smiley19:. Haven't dove (dived) anywhere except the lakes here in Oklahoma. I am kinda worried that diving somewhere else may ruin me. Righj now I can 6' - 10' good vis. And if I had 15' man, that vis was be one for the recordbooks. :smilie39: . Really, I can't wait, just not in the budget with 2 small children.

awb
10-06-2007, 18:19
Once you dive blue you will figure ways to come up with the money.$$$$$$$$$$$$:smiley20:

divnlifr
10-06-2007, 19:20
We love a lot of places, but for good, consistent, inexpensive, freedom diving, we'd have to say Bonaire fits the bill. 1week unlimited shore diving is right at $100. Where in the world can you dive 5 or more dives a day with a 6 day package and see eagle rays, frogfish, seahorses, turtles, abundant fish live, and much more for $100? It's crazy but true. That's why we love it.

BobArnold8265
10-06-2007, 21:00
1. Bonaire
2. Dominica
3. Texas Flower Gardens
4. Aruba
5. Key Largo
6. Morehead, NC
7. Bahamas

highdesert
10-09-2007, 11:37
We love a lot of places, but for good, consistent, inexpensive, freedom diving, we'd have to say Bonaire fits the bill. 1week unlimited shore diving is right at $100. Where in the world can you dive 5 or more dives a day with a 6 day package and see eagle rays, frogfish, seahorses, turtles, abundant fish live, and much more for $100? It's crazy but true. That's why we love it.

OK then, lemme see, that would be $16.67 a day, correct? I wish I had known your system when I was there. Or would you like to add a zero to your original $100 cost?

caroln
10-09-2007, 12:17
My favorite so far has been Cozumel, but if you'd like to pay for the trip, I'd be more then happy to survey all the places on your list for you and let you know which one I like best :)

Scubakraut
10-09-2007, 13:14
Thailand was great but I have yet to dive some of the other locations such as Micronesia and Bora Bora and Maldives.

SYOTABUCS
10-10-2007, 14:36
My favorites and Key Largo and Cozumel. I will add other favorites as we get to experience them. Just started diving in 06. Headed to Coz again in December. Hope to go to Bonaire or Roatan next year.

Has anyone on here been to all the places on the list?

Defman
10-10-2007, 14:59
Been to CZM five times, but I think Grand Cayman was my favorite. Only been there once and would like to go back.

TX1Chica
10-12-2007, 09:20
I've only been to Coz. I would love to go other places, but you just can't beat the price of a week in Coz. And the diving is so great.

TRACI
10-12-2007, 09:40
I have dived only in Cozumel, would like to try Bonaire or Belize maybe in 2008.

torrey
10-12-2007, 11:30
Maybe you should have a different poll for each region if you're limited to 10 choices.

subsur
10-12-2007, 19:40
the one i haven't been to yet.

FedLuvsNicola
10-15-2007, 09:17
Little Corn Island on the Caribbean side of Nicaragua.

diver_daver
10-15-2007, 13:34
A visit to the Red Sea {not on your list!} got me hooked on diving.

Best trip, I did the Galapagos two years ago and don't think I'll be able to top it!

gbrdiver
10-22-2007, 03:58
Have dived half the places on the list...all great locations. My thoughts:
Australia - Great Barrier Reef: You need to do one of the liveaboards to Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea - I am yet to be more impressed by coral and marine life, the statistics for the GBR are mind blowing! The day boats off Cairns however, are a waste of time as they cater for Coral terrorists and visit reefs approved by Marine Parks for mass destruction!! Be warned, unless you are getting to outer reef you may well be disappointed. Yongala Wreck: Located 5 hours south of Cairns, this spot is marketed as Australia'a best wreck dive. If this wreck were in Truk lagoon, it would be one to sit out!! On a rare good day (which I have enjoyed!) you will see sea snakes, turtles, sharks, a plethora of fish species...and a wreck!
Micronesia: Truk for wrecks...being a Tech Diver, this place was made for me. Expect to be extorted if you really want Helium...and just plain ripped of for Nitrox blends. The best wrecks are deep IMHO, and whilst I enjoyed the shallow dives, it is an expensively long way to travel to see a tug boat or a plane wreck. Guam...not really worth the effort unless you are going there anyway. Malaysia: Sipadan. Good reefs...little regulation (aka shonky operators!) great diving. Not as good as it was..and you can no longer stay on the island. Have dived around Kinabalu, Labuan and also Langkawi as well, again only because I was there anyway. Vanuatu: Diving around Port Vila is average...but the SS President Coolidge was great. Sloping from 30m to 60m she is deep. I spent a fortnight in Luganville last year doing the Coolidge and can't wait to get back. Philippines: Subic Bay - good wreck dives; Helium is well priced for the deep wrecks...but the best wrecks (like the former USS New York) are around 25-30m - make sure you have Nitrox cert! Puerto Galera: great all round diving for all levels...and a party town to go with it!! Perfert place for a holiday (I would suggest leaving your wife at home though!!). Coron Bay: A poor mans Truk Lagoon...plenty of wrecks although most artifacts have been looted.

redneckdiver52
10-22-2007, 06:17
Micronesia is such an awesome place to dive but I haven't been to Hawaii yet. That is coming up in the near future so I will have to get back to you on that.

Dive Master
10-22-2007, 08:42
I have not been to any place on the list and with my limited budget I doubt I will be going anytime soon. I have traveled throughout the Caribbean on cruise ships.This gives my non diving wife something to do while I get to add 3 or 4 different places to my log book.Here is my "poor divers" list:

1 Favorite reef dive (and probably my favorite overall)
Palancar Gardens Cozumel, MX

2 Favorite wall dive Eagle Ray Pass --North Wall Grand Cayman

3 Favorite wreck dive Papoose Morehead City, NC

4 Favorite for fish life Papoose Morehead City, NC---cant get enough of those Sand Tigers

5 Favorite springs dive tie---Paradise Springs Ocala, FL and Ginnie Springs, High Sprngs,FL

6 Favorite Lake dive Mt. Carmel Church Cemetery Lake Jocassee,SC
138 feet down counting the tombstones while way narced---dont get much better !!!!!!

bversteegh
10-22-2007, 23:33
You have missed Indonesia, arguably the best diving in the world (recognized as having greatest biodiversity and healthiest reefs by several organizations). But it is not a great area for pelagics - so if you want the big stuff, try somewhere else.....

Here is my order based on where I've been - and then where I'd like to go:

Indonesia (Lembeh/Sulawesi)
Indonesia (Raja Ampat/ Papua)
Fiji
Bonaire
Grand Cayman (North Wall)
Cozumel
Grand Turk
Bahamas
Vancouver Island
California Channel Islands
Florida Keys
Hawaii
St. John
North Carolina Wrecks

Where I'd like to go:
Papua (New Guinea)
Galapagos
Cocos Islands (Costa Rica)
Sipidan (Malaysia)
Phillippines
Australia (Coral Sea)
Australia (Ningaloo Reef w/whale sharks)
Solomons
Dominica

I dove the Caribbean/Atlantic and US Pacific Coast for 20 years before I finally tried the Indo-Pacific - if you like lush reefs and tons of reef life, you'll never be satisfied in the Caribbean again - IMHO. But it is a real PITA to get to Indonesia/Malaysia; don't even try it if you don't have a couple weeks (including travel to/from)

terrillja
10-24-2007, 15:56
I was in Hawaii, on Kauai in march of 2005, the entire island flooded, 8 people died when a dam at a reservoir broke, and the water was completely brown, with lepto bacteria in the water and tiger sharks feeding 50' offshore. Having said that, I'm hoping to go back sometime, hopefully when there is better weather, because the diving there is supposed to be amazing.

One place I would add is Bermuda or the USVI, they speak english, take our money, and have some pretty nice dives. And Bermuda has world renowned shipwrecks, by # and the wrecks themselves.

terfmop
10-24-2007, 20:03
Hey, you didn't add Haigh Quarry or Mermet Springs :)

Roadracer, I'm there with ya. I got 3 kids and was just certed back in May. The last couple of days I've been researching the prices of cruises that cater to kids....you'd be surprised at what you might find (as far as affordability is concerned). Next summer though, I am plannign a family gettogether on the Florida Gulf Coast (Cape San Blas.).....that will be my very first dive into the ocean.

RECDiver
10-24-2007, 20:09
Mine isn't on the list. Bloody Bay Wall, Little Cayman Island.

ucrtwf
10-26-2007, 14:23
I'm with Coz as well.

gibson1525
10-26-2007, 19:31
i guess i need to log off of here and start traveling b/c i've only been to one of these places. wow...that's pathetic...

Puffer Fish
10-26-2007, 19:46
i guess i need to log off of here and start traveling b/c i've only been to one of these places. wow...that's pathetic...
Excellent idea, but I like to think in terms of great dives, and I've had great ones all over the globe... Perhaps it would be better to ask where can you consistently get great dives.

seanbesser
03-26-2008, 02:20
My wife and I are thinking about diving off the Corn Islands or in Honduras next month. Any reviews, thoughts, tips, advice, etc.?

seanbesser
03-26-2008, 02:28
1) Molikini Crater off Maui
2) S.S. Yongala wreck dive off the coast of Townsville in Australia
3) The Great Barrier Reef in Oz
4) Shark diving in Belize
5) Free diving with penguins in the Galapagos Islands

rawalker
03-26-2008, 12:48
I think the list should include the Tahitian Islands and Cook Islands
After having tried diving a few times and not really being bitten by the bug, a discovery scuba dive in Bora Bora became the site that gave me a full blown scuba infection.
Aruba was great too.
And San Carlos during the warmer months is not too shabby.
Since I've gotten infected I've notice many places have great appeal.
I'll be checking out some Florida sites and Cabo San Lucas this year and who knows where else. Part of the allure is new and different.

b1draper
03-26-2008, 13:56
Dog Ballard Reef, St. Marks Florida. It's 25' deep and usually top to bottom vis. The site has three stages (different locations) and is filled with tropical fish and several kinds of grouper. There's colorful coral and sponge formations. Granted I haven't found sponge bob, but I'll keep looking. The best part is it's shallow and you can stay down almost forever. It's also the place I saw one of the largest toad fish I've ever seen.

UCFKnightDiver
03-26-2008, 14:35
Dog Ballard Reef, St. Marks Florida. It's 25' deep and usually top to bottom vis. The site has three stages (different locations) and is filled with tropical fish and several kinds of grouper. There's colorful coral and sponge formations. Granted I haven't found sponge bob, but I'll keep looking. The best part is it's shallow and you can stay down almost forever. It's also the place I saw one of the largest toad fish I've ever seen.

Hmm I will have to try this Dog Ballard Reef can you give me any information on it?

quarkuud
03-27-2008, 03:26
The best dive I've ever done is an early morning dive on the Yongala. While it's not a great wreck dive, for wildlife it's amazing.

b1draper
03-27-2008, 07:32

Hmm I will have to try this Dog Ballard Reef can you give me any information on it?

These sites come about 5-10 feet off the bottom.

Dog Ballard Phase 3 is (108 concrete cube modules) in 26 feet Lat: 29.57.053 Lon: 84.04817

Dog Ballard Phase 2 (concrete poles) 26 feet Lat: 29.57.112 Lon: 84.04819

Dog Ballard Phase 1 (concrete colverts) 26 feet Lat: 29.57.051 Lon: 84.04852

yankeefan21
03-27-2008, 08:47
I had to cast my vote for Hawaii. Admittedly, I'm jaded since that was my first great dive experience!

Here's the thing; sadly, you spend WAY more time at the surface than you do underwater. As nice as Bonaire is underwater, it is a great big dry rock above the water. Belize was a really beautiful place with pretty decent - if not spectacular - diving.

Hawaii, on the other hand, gives you the absolute best of both worlds. Kauai is pretty much what you would suspect the Garden of Eden used to look like. It is absolutely stunning in its beauty. Then, when you get wet, you have phenomenal diversity in terms of what you are looking for. Beautiful reefs? Check. Ridiculous lava tubes? Check. Colorful and abundant sea life? Check. Dolphins, Sharks, Whales, Sea Turtles? Check Check Check Check...

Oh, and did I mention 75 degree waters with 100 feet of viz on a cold murky day in the winter?

My wife got certified on the Great Barrier Reef, we had our honeymoon in Belize, we have gone on trips to Aruba and St Martin and Key West together and our favorite dive trip is STILL Hawaii. I imagine Micronesia would be stellar and certainly have places like Taiwan and Okinawa on my list of MUST DIVE locations, but there is something to be said for knowing you can be in paradise in less than 8 hours and not have to worry about a language barrier.

Mahalo!

divingchef
03-27-2008, 09:35
My favorite dive is always the one I just logged.....live for today and THIS tank...

allison finch
03-29-2008, 19:27
:smiley21:

How can you have a poll without Indonesia (Lembeh, Raja Ampat, Bunaken....) or Papua New Guinea??? Those are my favorite places!!

Travelnsj
03-29-2008, 20:02
:smiley21:

How can you have a poll without Indonesia (Lembeh, Raja Ampat, Bunaken....) or Papua New Guinea??? Those are my favorite places!!

So True!...and you forgot to mention Fakarava (tahiti)...but Lembeh and Kri Reef in Papua...nothing better on earth that I have found!:smiley20:

mudshark
04-01-2008, 00:28
Still looking but will let you know when I find it!

Skinsfan1311
04-02-2008, 11:16
I don't have a lot of experience, but I'd have to put Grand Cayman at the top of my list. We're headed back this June and I can't wait!!

obrules15
04-02-2008, 11:33
I love cozumel just for ease of use and consistancy but every single place on that list is on my list to go to one of these days!!!! Dreams of LOTTO Millions let me sleep at night.

mentalmarine
04-02-2008, 11:36
Cozumellllll Come on, its awesome there!

mselizann
04-02-2008, 13:00
Grand Cayman for me too- but I'm biased

kroorda
06-01-2008, 18:42
The vote didn't offer the options of Indonesia, New Guinea, South Africa..so I didn't vote.

rawalker
06-01-2008, 19:20
So Far it's been Bora Bora where I took a discovery scuba dive and the scuba bug bit me.

david_57
06-01-2008, 20:14
I would have to say wreck diving in Lake Ontario, in Kingston Ontario Canada Due to the water temp 45 to 55 degrees vis is fantastic and the wrecks are well preserved. Down south my vote would be Cozumel

buddhasummer
06-01-2008, 20:16
Poor Knights, New Zealand.

longtailbda
06-02-2008, 04:31
Way to many holes in that Hawaii had to be my choice but thats the only place I've been to your list.

jtkkym
06-03-2008, 13:57
Bloody Bay, Little Cayman so far. Many more places to visist.

mauiiop
06-03-2008, 16:17
:smiley20:i voted for hawaii because i have not been to all the places but i am casting a vote in the forum for cozumel cause it was not there....

TRACI
06-03-2008, 16:22
I have to vote for Coz, (even though that is the only place I have done any ocean diving so far) Hoping to add more places to my list this year.

scubasamurai
06-03-2008, 16:33
maybe pick regions, but lets face it many of us been to the "local" spots in our hemisphere( minus hawaii). those locations listed on the pole i would love to go to if i could afford it, minus hawaii ( but that is getting real expensive as well) i would like to do the bikini islands and see the nuclear fleet.
have fun deciding on where to go!!

caroln
06-04-2008, 14:53
My favorite so far is Mexico--just for the variety of diving I can do there. I can do cave diving one day, and head over to Cozumel for some beautiful drift dives the next day.

MrMike
06-04-2008, 22:34
Here is my "poor divers" list:
4 Favorite for fish life Papoose Morehead City, NC---cant get enough of those Sand Tigers

My daughter is gaga to see sea life and Morehead City is close by for me; what kind of animals etc will you typically see there?

Travelnsj
06-04-2008, 23:22
Here is my "poor divers" list:

My daughter is gaga to see sea life and Morehead City is close by for me; what kind of animals etc will you typically see there?

Lots of bait fish...And Sand Tiger Sharks!

DUnder
06-05-2008, 13:53
I picked Hawaii only because I have only dived in 2 spots, Minnasota and Hawaii. Minnasota COLD water, low viz:smiley21:--- Hawaii WARM water, great viz:smiley20:

Chocoholic
06-07-2008, 16:19
I've only been to Hawaii, Mexico and Thailand. Thailand wins hands down. :smiley20:

diver-wife
06-08-2008, 14:34
I will 10th Bonaire, the divers paradise