PDA

View Full Version : SPG Location

rfreddo
10-05-2007, 18:11
For those diving with a non-integrated, wrist mount computer and an SPG, where do you have your SPG clipped, and how (retractor, etc.).

Thanks!

Dive-aholic
10-05-2007, 18:57
I clip mine to my left waist ring or left chest ring, depending on what rig I'm diving. No retractor. I tie a stainless clip onto it around the hose with some 24# line. If it's on my waist ring, I unclip to glance at it, then reclip.

awap
10-05-2007, 19:21
Same here except I use a loop of inner tube rather than cave line.

tedwhiteva
10-05-2007, 19:32
I clip mine to my left waist ring or left chest ring, depending on what rig I'm diving. No retractor. I tie a stainless clip onto it around the hose with some 24# line. If it's on my waist ring, I unclip to glance at it, then reclip.

Same here. Don't use a retractor - it will hang a foot below you when horizontal just asking to hit the bottom or get snagged.

texdiveguy
10-05-2007, 20:28

Pretty much what I do with one small change....I prefer a good quality zip tie to secure the clip to the HP hose near the SPG. I like a 26" hose also, works well for both a single or doubles configured kit.

Charles R
10-05-2007, 20:34
Cave line attached clip attached to left hip D ring unclip to glance at it then reclip

datamunk
10-05-2007, 21:20
i used to use a retractor, but a NICE one that wouldnt let gravity do its thing... i dunno the brand, i bought it at the dive shop.. but, ultimately it broke, but i think i did it haha

ScaredSilly
10-06-2007, 22:47
What most everyone who has answered clipped to the their left D-ring are dving a backplate. Most BCD do not have this. Most BCDs do not even have any D-rings. Also most have it shorter length hose 22"-26" whereas many HP console hoses are longer. So do you any of the above and what you are diving you might need to make some mods to your BCD.

That said the three most common are (in order of popularity IIRC)

1) left hip
2) left shoulder
3) along the LP inflator hose

rtrski
10-07-2007, 16:23
I actually clip my console up high to my RIGHT chest ring, so it crosses over the front of my chest. Usually I don't even have to unclip, just glance down and maybe swivel it a little to read it. I do have my computer mounted on it as well and will sometimes unclip to watch data during ascent, but mostly I tend to be air-limited in my dives and use my watch (Hyper Aqualand) pressure and ascent speed display. If I actually have to pay attention to my computer for some reason it's because something's gone seriously off-plan.

I really don't know what you mean about most BCD not having D-rings. A stroll around the Scubatoys floor finds very few jacket or back-inflate styles that don't have at least one on each shoulder strap.

Scubastud16
10-07-2007, 19:51
I've tried a couple points. I ended up with my SPG on my left hip for a while on a retractor. Hung a little to low for me. I have an AI computer, that I clip on the left side of my chest. If I had a brass-and-glass, and a wrist computer, I'd put it on a shorter hose, and clip it to the left hip.

Danny

Aussie
10-08-2007, 04:36
Left hip D-ring. SPG attached with stainless clip and cable tie.

Aussie