PDA

View Full Version : Texas Area

nightdiver
07-16-2007, 11:00
Ok so where in and around Texas can you dive without spending a ton of money or driving for 8 hours. I'm in the Dallas area. I already know about the two scuba parks, but what other places are good to go and what are the pros and cons.

torrey
07-25-2007, 12:39
edited: didn't see your comment about the scuba parks.

Possum Kingdom State Park isn't too bad - about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Dallas from what I can remember.
Tyler State Park is alright...serious thermocline at about 12 foot or so though.
Lake Murray (Ardmore, OK) - I've camped there, but haven't been diving
Lake Travis (Austin) - quite a drive, very popular, but I haven't been there

Blue Lagoon (Huntsville) - quite a drive, decent vis, but not much to see or do

texdiveguy
07-25-2007, 12:54
Try Lake Murray in Oklahoma and Broken Bow Lake also in Oklahoma.....I can do both as day trips from Arlington,,,,Murray being the closer.

hoop
09-07-2007, 14:18
have to say Murray is your closest bet..... My buddy lives in Denton, and it takes him about an hour and a half to get to murray... It's a good half-way point for both of us. good diving too if you get there early. Lot of students of the weekend can silt it up pretty good. I've got to where i go during the week, when there is NO ONE diving!

nightdiver
09-13-2007, 15:24
Where do you go at Murray?

hoop
09-13-2007, 15:53
Where do you go at Murray?

Down towards Marietta landing by the dam...... There are a couple of platforms and sunken boats, motorcyles, etc.... Also by the draw down tower there is another platform. These are accessible by shore entry... If you have a boat, you're good to go all over the lake. My favorite boat dive is off of Tucker Tower... Some really cool rock formations to see....

Soonerwink
09-13-2007, 20:41
Where is the closest place to get air fills at Murray? I have never dove there, was always told you needed a boat to dive there. I think I will try it out now that I know there are some decent shore dives.

hoop
09-13-2007, 20:50
Where is the closest place to get air fills at Murray? I have never dove there, was always told you needed a boat to dive there. I think I will try it out now that I know there are some decent shore dives.

The guy that had the compressor at a store called "Mom and Pops" is no longer there. Rumor has it he defected to texas....:smilie39: Last time I was down there, I got to talking to some fellas that said a dive shop opened up at the marina and could fill tanks. I usually fill 3-4 tanks in the city and take them down. Next time I'm down that way, I will swing by the marina to check the shop out. Drop a PM next time you're headed that way, and maybe we can hook up!

Suther2136
10-05-2007, 12:06
Hey are there any dive boats that go to the rigs in the gulf? I'm in Houston so Galveston or Surfside are easy, just don't know where to look.

RoadRacer1978
10-05-2007, 13:12
I didn't go to the marina last time I was there, but did notice a new billboard up with a SCUBA flag on it and this business was located at the marina, so maybe. I'll check next time as well. If I make it before Hoop, I'll let ya'll know.

texarkandy
10-05-2007, 18:17
Lake Degray near Arkadelphia, AR (about 5 hours from Dallas, right off I-30) Deep, clear, & clean - but I'm told can get really cold below the thermocline - I haven't dove there yet, but I've fished it a lot.

Lake Quachita near Hot Springs is a little further & a lot bigger - otherwise the same as DeGray. There are some weekend dive boats on Quachita. I (re)certified there.

You can spearfish in both (with proper licensing of course) -

rubber duckie
09-02-2010, 14:39
I am going to be in the Dallas/FortWorth area this weekend and I am looking for a dive spot and people to go with who know the area. Any suggestions?