PDA

View Full Version : New Pony

skdvr
10-05-2007, 19:40
OK, so I just got a new AL 40 from ST, and the k-valve is not tight on the tank. So how much tourque should I put on it. Does it get put on REAL tight or snuged up and then like a 1/4 turn? Any info would be great...

Phil

texdiveguy
10-05-2007, 20:15
OK, so I just got a new AL 40 from ST, and the k-valve is not tight on the tank. So how much tourque should I put on it. Does it get put on REAL tight or snuged up and then like a 1/4 turn? Any info would be great...

Phil

Phil...first insure that the snorkel tub is in place on the valve bottom and it is snug...replace the cylinder valve into the cylinder and hand tighten were the valve fits snug....don't wrench that sucker....just hand snug....on occasion I will give the valve a very light rap with the palm of my hand. Once the cylinder is charged with gas it is good and secure!

datamunk
10-05-2007, 20:27
hmm, the way that i pesronally do it is hand tighten, take a big enough wrench to put on the valve stem, and use my palm to tighten it up.. you dont want to put it on too hard... if you have any sufficient lube you can rub a smidgen onto it to help aide in getting it off next time (must be the kind you can use for this, can get it for pretty cheap at diveshop).

this i like only because it has less chance of getting loose when the pressure is low, had a steel of mine a lil loose and when i picked it up the valve turned a smidgen, scared the bejesus out of me!

and yes, also make sure the dip tube/snorkle is secure!

texdiveguy
10-05-2007, 20:34
this i like only because it has less chance of getting loose when the pressure is low, had a steel of mine a lil loose and when i picked it up the valve turned a smidgen, scared the bejesus out of me!

and yes, also make sure the dip tube/snorkle is secure!

No need to use a wrench....folks then tend to over tighten.

If you had a valve come loose then there was no charge on the cylinder.

I prefer to use the valve with dry threads....but I dive mainly fresh water with an occ. salt dip,,,now those diving a lot of salt water...the lube on the threads would be of some benefit, but still not a ness..

skdvr
10-05-2007, 20:38
No there is not charge in the cylinder...

What is the dip tube/snorkle???

Phil

texdiveguy
10-05-2007, 20:40
No there is not charge in the cylinder...

What is the dip tube/snorkle???

Phil

Phil you got it right...the dip tube...it is the short metal tube that screws into the bottom of the cylinder valve.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/img/valveipb2.jpg
#15 on the photo.

skdvr
10-05-2007, 21:37
so the snorkle just screws into the bottom of the valve? I did not pull the valve out I just noticed that the valve was loose so I just put it in as tight as I could by hand. Should I pull the valve off and check the snorkle?

Thanks for the help

Phil

awap
10-05-2007, 22:15
Might as well pull the valve and verify the dip tube is in place and secure. Hand tight when you reinstall the valve. Threads are protected by the o-ring so lube should not be necessary regardless of where you dive. If installed correctly, a smack with the flat of youi hand should work to loosen the valve if the tank is empty.

skdvr
10-05-2007, 22:17
I will pull it off and give it a check.

Thanks again to everyone for the help...

Phil

somewhereinla
10-05-2007, 22:19
Why don't you have it done at a scuba shop, since you are going to need a current viz. sticker, you might as well get it done there so you know it's right. Most lds won't charge you for it. However like everything with an o-ring, you don't want it too tight...