PDA

View Full Version : Texas Clipper Sinking 10-23-07

DevilDiver
10-05-2007, 21:05
If you haven't heard..... New dive spot for TEXAS!!!:smiley20:

The Texas Clipper

http://www.theoriginaldolphinwatch.com/images/FH000014sm.jpg (http://www.theoriginaldolphinwatch.com/images/FH000014.jpg)
Texas Clipper. Click for larger image.
Notification from TPWD on The Texas Clipper

Current Status

The Texas Clipper will be towed out on October 22nd and reefed on October 23rd!

The U.S.T.S. Texas Clipper is a 473 ft. decommissioned Texas Maritime Academy ship that served students and sea cadets at Texas A&M University at Galveston from 1965 to 1996. She has spent many days at sea and students have spent countless hours on her decks and in her cabins.
The Texas Clipper was originally commissioned as the U.S.S. Queens in 1944, a troop transport ship that served her country well in World War II. She ferried fresh troops into battle and shuttled the wounded from Iwo Jima. She was also part of the American occupation at Sasebo, Japan. She was decommissioned in 1946. From 1946 to 1958, she was commissioned the S.S. Excambion and served as one of the post-war aces from American Export Lines. As a cruise liner, she sailed to ports throughout the Mediterranean Sea.
On March 31, the Texas Clipper will find her final place seventeen miles east of the South Padre Island jetties in 134 feet of water with the wheel house and cabins in 50 to 70 feet of water. This will become the largest fish attracting device in Texas.
Barnacles, corals, sponges, clams, bryozoans, and hydroids will soon take their station on her surfaces and fish and mobile invertebrates such as rock crab will come to feast on the bounty she attracts.

Flatliner
10-05-2007, 21:51
Cool, I guess it's time to talk to my Texas coworkers and find out when they need my help.

SHAGGY
10-06-2007, 03:42
That will really be good since it will be well within recreational limits. It seems that alot of the ships that have been sunk recently are right at the edge of the recreational limit.

DevilDiver
10-06-2007, 10:40
Texas Clipper will find her final place seventeen miles east of the South Padre Island jetties in 134 feet of water with the wheel house and cabins in 50 to 70 feet of water.

Distance from shore and depth sound great and there should be a short boat ride. (Texas Gulf standards) My question is what the normal visibility will be that close to shore. My expereiences diving in the gulf are normaly alot further offshore.
If anyone has opinions or experience on diving the gulf in this area I wiuld be interested.
I plan to make a run to the Flower Gardens at the end of the month and will talk to Frank and his crew for opinions............

divechaplain-sara
10-06-2007, 10:52
I would expect 17 miles out to be far enough out for good visibility--but that is merely my guess.

DevilDiver
10-06-2007, 17:39
Added poll: 10-06 5:38