PDA

View Full Version : SNUBA and aquainting a child to diving

Panhandle Joe
10-06-2007, 06:50
I want to open this thread for input to see what the thoughts are on starting a child(11 YO) who has snorkeled alot, on the SNUBA rig for some very shallow water orientation to "pre-diving" while being accompanied by one of us in scuba equipment. Tried to word this right. Hope it is not confusing. We are PDIC certified as is our instructor and they do not have a junior certification.

ScubaToys Larry
10-06-2007, 06:57
Just always remember that Snuba is no less, nor no more dangerous than Scuba. Compressed air in the lungs will expand on the way up - whether it got there from a tank on your back, one at the surface, or a surface compressor.

But some agencies allow as young as 10 now, so if you feel he has the maturity to understand how important it is to follow the rules and learn from the instructor then either Snuba or Scuba - no difference.

scubamarc
10-06-2007, 07:09
I have to agree with larry, if a non scuba trained person is 15 feet down, drops the reg, does the person know to bubble out on the assent? Are you taught these principals.

I would teach my own kid to free dive first.

datamunk
10-06-2007, 09:17
yep. or throw em in a PADI seal class. gets them comfortable on scuba gear and lets them have some fun

datamunk
10-06-2007, 09:17
just go to your LDS and they can tell you when the next one will be (normally during summer when kids are out of school)