PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water Regulators - Oh the Choices

Roggen
10-06-2007, 07:46
Hi! I am in the market for a cold water regulator. Most of my diving is in the Great Lakes region. Temps have ranged from low 40's to high 60's during my dives.

I am currently a recreational diver, but am working toward more technical diving. Also, I am interested in maybe doing a little ice diving.

These are the regulators that my LDS sells that I am considering:

DiveRite RG2500
DiveRite Hurricane
Atomic Aquatics B2
Atomic Aquatics M1
Atomic Aquatics Z2
Apeks Tec3

I currently dive with an Aqualung Titan Micra Adjust, which has been fine diving these temps. However, I would like to upgrade as I move toward more technical diving.

So with that, what be the forums suggestions/opinions on cold water regulators?

somewhereinla
10-06-2007, 15:14
Most of the Tech divers in my area use the Apex XTX50, XTX100, XTX200. Scubapro are very popular choices as well so is the Aqualung legend. The Dive rite Hurricane is becoming popular mostly because parts are easy to replace should one breack onsite. I use the Apex XTX 50, it was recomended by a very experienced tech diver that had both Apex and Atomic regs. He told me he likes the Apex better than the Atomic, which is what actually prompted me to get the Apex.

in_cavediver
10-06-2007, 16:57
Hi! I am in the market for a cold water regulator. Most of my diving is in the Great Lakes region. Temps have ranged from low 40's to high 60's during my dives.

I am currently a recreational diver, but am working toward more technical diving. Also, I am interested in maybe doing a little ice diving.

These are the regulators that my LDS sells that I am considering:

DiveRite RG2500
DiveRite Hurricane
Atomic Aquatics B2
Atomic Aquatics M1
Atomic Aquatics Z2
Apeks Tec3

I currently dive with an Aqualung Titan Micra Adjust, which has been fine diving these temps. However, I would like to upgrade as I move toward more technical diving.

So with that, what be the forums suggestions/opinions on cold water regulators?

I like the dive rites. (I have 3 rg 2500's). I also like zeagles (have 4 of those). My next regs will be Dive Rites or whatever comes with an Inspiration. The thing I like best about the Dive-rites is the free availability of parts and service manuals. Dive Rite Express has it posted even. And if you go tec, service cost on lots of regs add up, if you decide to trust a shop to do it. Self service is major feature driving my choices.