PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Lake

awb
10-06-2007, 12:45
Has anybody heard of when there going to open up Mammoyh Lake?

DiverBry
10-06-2007, 15:01
I've been wondering the same thing, too. By all accounts, the lake has been filling up nicely.

If it hasn't opened yet, I wonder what they are waiting for? For example, water level, clarity, etc.

datamunk
10-06-2007, 15:05
wheres this lake at ?

DiverBry
10-06-2007, 15:14
wheres this lake at ?

Its in Clute, TX... here's a link with some photos from a little over a month ago: http://main.zgib.net/galleries/hydrosports/mammoth-lake-1

I had thought they were planning to have been open by now.

PlatypusMan
10-07-2007, 09:58
wheres this lake at ?

Its in Clute, TX... here's a link with some photos from a little over a month ago: http://main.zgib.net/galleries/hydrosports/mammoth-lake-1

I had thought they were planning to have been open by now.

When I spoke to them at SeaSpace in Houston this year, I was told they were planning on opening in August. Judging from the photographs on their web site, the lake is not filling quite as quickly as they would've hoped.

I suspect that it will not be completely filled until spring of next year. When that happens -- and I can get confirmation -- I know that I plan on making a trip down there to check out the facility. Who knows? -- might make for good day trip for group of divers!

divingmedic
10-07-2007, 12:23
I think the last I heard was around mid november. There is are still a few items they are planning on sinking, like a C-130. They are also putting in a system to create a current to help with the viz.

ColdPass
02-25-2008, 10:05
I just talked to Mike at Hydrosports Scuba (on Mammoth Lake) and they're opening up March 1st. The lake is filling nicely, they've got platforms down for teaching classes, and are adding flocculant to increase the clarity. (currently 6-8 feet)

Should be a fun summer having such a large dive park opened up nearby.

CompuDude
02-25-2008, 12:36
Oh... Mammoth Lake, Texas, not Mammoth Lake, CA. Gotcha. ;)

ParrotheadDiver
02-26-2008, 14:13
March 1 is what I heard as well.....how about a trip report if anyone goes on Mar 1.....:smiley20:

ColdPass
02-28-2008, 10:12
Just got an e-mail from Hydrosports that the opening has been delayed again. Per their communication:

Delayed Opening
Mammoth Lake Scuba Park

DATE: Soon!
Mammoth Lake Scuba Park will not open to the public this Saturday, March 1 as anticipated. We still have things to do to make this the premier scuba destination you have been promised and expect. The visibility is exceeding 12', and the depth is where we want it. We still need to complete a few additional security measures.
We apologize for the delay, and look forward to seeing you soon.

The Staff at Mammoth Lake Scuba Park

Chad
02-28-2008, 10:26
Nice of them to tell everyone 2 days in advance. Are they ever gonna open this thing?

PlatypusMan
02-28-2008, 14:48
We still need to complete a few additional security measures.

OMG---they're installing TSA screening!

PPM

PsychDiver
03-01-2008, 09:32
They responded to my last email and inidcated they may be open by the 15th of March. WE will have to wait and see.

ertechsg
03-05-2008, 21:20
o well, COZ is just a little farther south:smiley36:

TX1Chica
03-06-2008, 09:01
We still need to complete a few additional security measures.

OMG---they're installing TSA screening!

PPM
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:. Thanks I needed that.

DiverBry
04-05-2008, 20:27
Yeah, you have to remove your fins for the x-ray machine before you enter the water. ;)