PDA

View Full Version : What wetsuit for West Palm Beach and Key Largo in December?

nunofs
10-06-2007, 15:59
I have a 2 week trip planned to Delray Beach and Fort Lauderdale in December, and am planning on diving in WPB (when I'm staying at Delray Beach) and from Key Largo (when I'm in Fort Lauderdale), plus local dives closer to both WPB and FLL.

I have 4mm and 7mm wetsuits, what would you recommend as a good compromise for those locations in December?

Thanks,
Nuno

Capt Hook
10-06-2007, 17:05
4mm would be enough for me, but some folks dive drysiuts!

eyezz
10-06-2007, 17:57
I have a 2 week trip planned to Delray Beach and Fort Lauderdale in December, and am planning on diving in WPB (when I'm staying at Delray Beach) and from Key Largo (when I'm in Fort Lauderdale), plus local dives closer to both WPB and FLL.

I have 4mm and 7mm wetsuits, what would you recommend as a good compromise for those locations in December?

Thanks,
Nuno

I would say 4 to 7 depending on your tolerance to cold water I wear a 2 pcs 3mm = 6mm and I am good in about 60 to 70 degrees.

WV Diver
10-06-2007, 18:05
http://www.scuba-adventures.com/faq.shtml

Here is link that gives you a good idea of what to expect during the different seasons and what you may want to bring regarding thermal protection.

It is also a good link to Jim Abernathy's, a good dive shop in the WPB area that I have used many times over the years and would highly recommend to you.

Have fun and dive safe.

No Misses
10-06-2007, 19:51
I dive Fort Lauderdale all year. I wear a 3 mil full suit in summer. In the winter I wear a 3mil farmer john and a 3 mil beenie to keep the noggin warm ;-)

nunofs
10-06-2007, 21:10
Thanks for all the opinions... based on that I'm leaning towards taking the 7mm with me, would rather be a little too warm (easy to solve by letting water in) than have to cut dives short because of being cold.

pnevai
10-06-2007, 22:36
In the summerr it is a dive skin or a SSA suit. In winter it is a 3 mm full suit. Even in winter So Fla waters rarely drop below 74 degrees.

Black-Gorrilla
10-06-2007, 22:59
i was gonna say... wow... im summer (or anything not winter) i dive bare, shorts and a rash guard only... im gonna pick up a 3mil for the long winter months..

nunofs
10-07-2007, 17:32
Hmmm... seems like the "cold" people put their suggestions in first, and then the "warm" people came with theirs after I thought I had made up my mind :) ... now I have some more thinking to do...

craig66
10-08-2007, 00:12
I dived in early Jan in a dry suit. At the end of the dive the initials laughing at me quickly turned into envy. For me anything below 75 with more than 2 dives on 2 days mans dry suit

comet24
10-08-2007, 04:31
I dived Key Largo in a 3mm in January and was a little cold on deeper dives. Now I dive a 5/4 and have no problem.

No Misses
10-08-2007, 08:27
Warm or cold? It really comes down to body mass. I am lean. So it does not take long for cold water to affect my core temp. I have noticed that "plus size" divers tend to stay warmer on dives. Also what depths are you planning on diving? I have hit cold water upwellings that were 60 deg. Even with a 3 mil beenie and 3 mil farmer john, I was still cold. Hitting the thermocline at 60' was like getting a bucket of ice water thrown in your face.

nunofs
10-08-2007, 10:39
I definitely fall under the "plus size divers" category, with some built in thermal insulation :smiley2:

I dived north of Boston with water temps in the 60s (above the thermocline) and 50s (below the thermocline) using a 7mm fullsuit and wasn't cold... except for the initial shock when crossing the thermocline, that is -- NoMisses' description is right on!

Regarding the depths I have in mind: I'm hoping for a mix of dives, but probably nothing deeper than 90' or so (for wrecks), and mostly shallower reefs. It really depends on what trips I can find at that time (which I'm assuming is not the high season for diving).

Again, thanks for all the opinions so far, it definitely helps me make up my mind about what suit to take.

Nuno

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 13:05
I would go with a 3mm full, and bring a hood if ya need it!

BobArnold8265
10-08-2007, 13:52
If it was me, I'd take the 7mm. Better to be a little warm than cold in my opinion !!!

willardj
10-08-2007, 15:54
If it was me, I'd take the 7mm. Better to be a little warm than cold in my opinion !!!

I like that answer. At least a full 5mm. Being I only use 2 different suits It's a no brainer. 3mm for 75* and up. 7mm for 74* down to about 50* seems to work great for me.