10-06-2007, 16:26
Which RDC is better? NAUI or PADI?

DarkCoffee
10-06-2007, 20:21
Without out a doubt it is clearly the course b^y 9&*^F &#(%$
*** Carrier lost ***

Dive-aholic
10-06-2007, 21:40
Either course can be taught great or poorly. Shop for an instructor, not an agency.

Charles R
10-06-2007, 21:52
As Dive- Aholic has said find an instuctor that is good and dont worry about the agency they just sign your C-card

comet24
10-06-2007, 22:10
It's the instructor that matters.

texdiveguy
10-06-2007, 23:20
Course content does come into play in every scuba program as agencies vary in scope to some degree.....so don't over look the class standards/content. Having said that....I agree that finding an instructor that you feel comfortable with and one whom has previous experience teaching a Rescue program is most important....do your homework and check around. I see from your bio you list 0-24 current dives.....you might consider getting in a bit more dive time to ensure your skill level is at a point to comfortably handle this program....just a thought. I took a PADI Rescue course--it was fine.

bellbadboy
10-07-2007, 10:11
texdiveguy, I agree about the 0-24. I am at 24 dives, have completed my AOW and by the time I am ready to take the RDC I should have 50 or so after my trip to Bonaire. I feel that I am ready to take the next step now, I read all the articles and talk to alot of people about my future in diving. I just want to make our dive's as safe and fun as they can be.

texdiveguy
10-07-2007, 10:15
texdiveguy, I agree about the 0-24. I am at 24 dives, have completed my AOW and by the time I am ready to take the RDC I should have 50 or so after my trip to Bonaire. I feel that I am ready to take the next step now, I read all the articles and talk to alot of people about my future in diving. I just want to make our dive's as safe and fun as they can be.

Sounds like you have a plan...that is what diving is all about....best of wishes!!!

subsur
10-07-2007, 10:41
although I voted for NAUI I could not agree more with other folks saying that it is instructor that matters foremost. Talk to people in your area and see which instructor got most positive reviews and why. i'd go with that instructor unless there is a huge difference in price.

Damselfish
10-07-2007, 11:47
people complain about a lot about PADI courses but generally always say PADI Rescue is a really good class, possibly the best PADI class. So I wouldn't be put off PADI Rescue because of the reputation of some other PADI courses. (And yes, of course, it's all about the instructor anyway.)

Dive-aholic
10-07-2007, 13:16
Just stay away from the 4x3 classes - 4 hours classroom, 4 hours pool, 4 hours open water. I've seen those courses and they don't teach you a whole lot.

As far as putting off Rescue, I disagree. I think all new divers should complete a Rescue course as soon as possible. In fact, I wish PADI didn't make AOW a requirement for Rescue. The Rescue course is an essential course for all divers, even vacation divers, and the skills learned in it should be learned by all. And it is something that any diver at any experience level can do.

Kingpatzer
10-07-2007, 13:29
Instructor > agency.

The standards for the rescue class do not vary greatly enough for the instructor factor to not be the key element.

DiverBry
10-07-2007, 13:42
The instructor matters the most.

As far as curriculum, the NAUI materials are used most in colleges and universities for credit, while the PADI materials seem to be very professionally produced.

The NAUI materials get into the science of diving to a larger degree, IMO.

freediver
10-07-2007, 15:24
As far as putting off Rescue, I disagree. I think all new divers should complete a Rescue course as soon as possible. In fact, I wish PADI didn't make AOW a requirement for Rescue. The Rescue course is an essential course for all divers, even vacation divers, and the skills learned in it should be learned by all. And it is something that any diver at any experience level can do.

No argument here. I also wish Aow wasn't such a hindrance to a diver taking what is arguably the most important class after OW. I would also like to see more Rescue level divers take a Lifeguard Training course to complement their Rescue knowledge and skills.

TxScubaBear
10-07-2007, 16:52
Do some research on rescue classes here, you'll find a wealth of info -of course most of it will point to the instructors and not the agency; shop and ask around; I did before embarking on AOW via NAUI (I did OW in PADI) and was 110% happy with what I learned and how it was taught. Personally, I plan to take NAUI rescue down the road not because of the agency, but because I know who will be teaching it at ST when the time comes to learn...

BobArnold8265
10-08-2007, 08:40
Don't know about the PADI or NAUI rescue classes by I thought the SSI class was very good. The instructor did a good job and the SSI materials that were presented were also good.

CC1020
10-08-2007, 09:53
Which RDC is better? NAUI or PADI?

I took the SSI course, so it would be hard to for me to vote objectively. As others have said, the quality of the training is much more about the instructor(s), as well as the commitment of your fellow students to excellence. It also has a lot do with how much time you give to practicing the techniques you are taught, in my opinion.

cummings66
10-08-2007, 12:21
I'll chime in and say take whichever one is easiest for you to make, and who's instructor seems to be on the ball.

I disagree with anybody who says to wait, IMO rescue should be part of the initial dive training a diver gets. Your skills only have to be so so to take it and pass. Can you go up and down safely, can you swim, do you know how to rig your gear? In other words, if you're a competant OW diver (AOW for the course) then you should go for the class.

MxDiver
10-08-2007, 20:43
I took the PADI course, and like many others have mentioned you should be more concern about the instructor than the agency, I feel I got my money's worth as we got to see more than the course required.

liuk3
10-09-2007, 17:13
Why only choose between the two agencies? LOL!

MxDiver
10-09-2007, 19:24
Why only choose between the two agencies? LOL!

I guess because the OP asked only about these two :smiley2:

Vercingetorix
10-12-2007, 16:47
Moot question.

Unless a person takes both courses (and who's going to do that?),howcan you compare? Secondly, it is highly dependent upon the individual instructor and the interaction the specific student has with each instructor.

RoadRacer1978
10-12-2007, 16:51
Isn't it amazing how we all get along so well. Post this thread in any other board and it would get so out of control. A post like theis is gasoline just waiting for a spark, but they great people on here take it in stride and give great advice. I love this board. Thank you everyone for being such great people and and representing the diving community in such a positive way.

Chocoholic
10-12-2007, 17:27
The Rescue Diver course was an excellent course, I had the best instructor. The one I took was Padi, I was actually looking for a Naui class because my OW1 was Naui. The instructor I had said that he could do it Naui or Padi but that Padi had a good manual and DVD with it and he didn't have one for Naui at the time. Either way it was a great course.