PDA

View Full Version : Rocks are your friends!

pnevai
10-06-2007, 16:35
Following the suggestions in many articles most of us will at some point expore diets. Not the eating variety but shedding lead off of our belt or BC. We all should strive to use only as much lead a necessary to complete the dive comfortably. It is just the most efficient. Well quite a while back I started on my diet regimen. Dropping a pound or two on each subsequent dive. Until one day while leading a OW tour for a buch of newly certified OW divers I found myself getting really positive towards the end of the dive. I just could not stay down, so remembering what my instructor trainer told me to do with a student if they were light was to stuff thier BC pockets with rocks. Well there was not a BC pocket sized rock to be found anywhere. So I picked up this rock the size of a volley ball and carried it around with me for the rest of the dive.

Back on the boat a few of the newbies asked me why I was carrying that big rock around most of the dive? Well, wishing to save face as Scuba Instructor Extrodinaire and not wanting to admit I needed ballast. I said that during the dive I had spotted holes in the sand that were the lairs of the Vicious Masserating Yellow Spotted Lobster. The rock was to smash the critters should they attempt to attack any of the students and then to block the hole to their lair.

Worked like a charm :smiley2:

So in the future if any of you should start getting light towards the end of your dive you can stuff your BC pockets with rocks or find a suitable Yellow Spotted Lobster smasher of your very own.

bellbadboy
10-06-2007, 16:43
That's a funny story...only because everybody knows that the Vicious Masserating Yellow Spotted Lobster's don't attack, only the Vicious Masserating Yellow Striped Lobsters attack!

pnevai
10-06-2007, 16:52
LOL, yup the explaination did'nt work for me either. Although everyone had a good chuckle about it back on the boat. Seems like all of the students had envisioned different reasons for their instructor carrying around a big rock for half the dive.

BuzzGA
10-06-2007, 17:01
Everyone knows why you were carrying the "rock" it was actually a piece of ballast off a Spanish Galleon lost during a hurricane and you've been searching for it for nearly a decade and this is a clue to the actual location of the wreck:smiley2:

Kokomo
10-06-2007, 17:10
Actually, this could have been a good learning experience for your students...teach them how to improvise.

ScubaToys Larry
10-06-2007, 17:47
That was mighty brave of you... but I think you're gonna' need a bigger rock:

http://scubatoys.com/forum/yellowlobster.jpg

tbuckalew
10-06-2007, 17:50
Looks like something I had for lunch....where's that rock?

pnevai
10-06-2007, 18:25
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Larry you are killing me!

"Actually, this could have been a good learning experience for your students...teach them how to improvise."

When I first told the students about the Vicious Masserating Yellow Spotted Lobster, You should have seen the looks on some of their faces :SHOCKED:. Half were thinking I was serious the other half sort of skeptical and were hoping I was not serious. I had delivered the story I suppose a little too dead pan. Anyway I did assure them that there was no such animal and the rock was for ballast, everyone came away a little bit more educated.

Reading the weight stuffing thread on the BC board triggered this memory. So I posted here so others can make use of this little trick. But of course in the end if you feel the need to desguise the fact that you needed a rock to stay down. The above excuse is just so much more entertaining.

I do not suggest that new divers carry a large rock around as it makes things like adding or venting air from the BC a juggling act. You have to figure a way to hang on to the rock while manipulating your inflator. So putting the rocks in your BC pocket is the better Idea, and a lot less conspicuous as well.

BobArnold8265
10-09-2007, 09:32
Great story. I'll have to remember that for future use !!!

emcbride81
10-09-2007, 09:46
Did a shore dive off of Maine. Had full 7 mil setup. Never had dove in cold salt water, so I didnt know what weight to use. Needless to say I could not get under, so I dove down to the shallows at about 5 ft, grabbed a football sized rock and carried it Heisman style for 30 minutes...worked mahvelously.

Scubastud16
10-10-2007, 00:00
Did a shore dive off of Maine. Had full 7 mil setup. Never had dove in cold salt water, so I didnt know what weight to use. Needless to say I could not get under, so I dove down to the shallows at about 5 ft, grabbed a football sized rock and carried it Heisman style for 30 minutes...worked mahvelously.

Stiff arm that crab!