PDA

View Full Version : finding right camera

cb101
07-16-2007, 13:53
need help finding right camera (something cheap under 1000)

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 20:34
cannon s500 is a great digital camera and get the underwater housing i think takes better pics the some of the sealite cameras i had a 500 sealite camera and i like the cannon much better and you can do video to get a 2 gig card ...good to go

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:42
The canon A620 and it's housing fit the bill, add a 1 gig card and you're good to go for well under you limit. You could even add strobes.

Dale
07-31-2007, 18:58
I am in the process of purchasing a Nikon CoolPix P5000 and a Fantasea housing. Camera is about $325, housing $200. 10 megapixel, zoom, macro. Unless you go with a digital SLR, I doubt you'll do much better. This from a guy who hasn't used the thing yet.

GONEHAWKN
08-05-2007, 14:50
this may be a little late as i am looking at the date of the original post. BUT, you may want to keep in mind how the camera will work with a strobe. let me elaborate. if you are not a photobug and dont want to be bother'd with making manual adjustments on each pic that you take, you may want to shoot in TTL. if that is the case, you may want to keep and eye out for something with a hot shoe on it. this away what ever housing you get, you can get the circuitry put in(if it does not already have it built in) to hard wire the strobe right to the camera. this is just a though and was a big determining factor for me in my deciding which camera to buy. i end'd up with an Olympus SP-350 and Oly housing. where i spent the majority of my money was on the strobe,synch cord and UCLS tray and arm set-up. just some thoughts. good luck on your camera hunting.

Bill

Zenagirl
08-05-2007, 16:39
We just bought a Sea&Sea 8000G from ScubaToys and couldn't be happier with our choice. Frankly, it's exceeded our expectations, and knowing that we can add a strobe and/or a wider angle lens is cool.

You can shoot macro getting to within 2cm of the subject, as well as wide angle without so much as an adjustment. You can shoot in RAW format, adjust the white balance, etc., etc., etc. It's basically as close to an SLR as you can get in a point and shoot digital camera.

Check out all the specs on on Sea&Sea's website, they aren't lying.

SilentEcho13
08-23-2007, 00:00
Go for a Canon Rebel XTi or a Nikon D40.
You won't be dissappointed with a dSLR camera, so many options and the learning curve isn't as bad as some people say.

I'm currently using a Canon EOS 30D.

torrey
08-23-2007, 09:27
If he or she is looking for something under $1k, then DSLR probably isn't the best choice. The housings alone tend to cost more than the budget.

jeraldjcook
08-23-2007, 09:29
Wait for the new G9. The camera is going to $400 from what I hear and then buy an Ikelite housing (probably will be $500-600). You get RAW and TTL. Later you can get some strobes.

SilentEcho13
08-24-2007, 00:07
If he or she is looking for something under $1k, then DSLR probably isn't the best choice. The housings alone tend to cost more than the budget.

Ah right sorry, I completely forgot about how expensive the housings were.

But as a normal camera, I'd still take a dSLR.

subsur
08-24-2007, 01:56
do you mean the whole UW set up for less than 1000 or just camera? if just camera, then judging on your language you're talking about dSLR, because only dSLR can be considered cheap if under 1000, point and shoot are cheap by default. Oly prosumer camera (non-dSLR)i s a good one. their dSLR is less than 1000 as well. check Nikons and Canons dSLR, their new models are well above 1000 but quite a few items are less then that. housing can cost as much as camera, so you do the math. also, strobe can be a few hundred bucks.

Divegirl
08-27-2007, 00:02
I just bought the Reefmaster, sealife mini, great upto 125 feet, fit comfortably in your hand, great strap attached, video and the sound is fantastic, pictures are really good, add the strobe, I haven't yet, but sure want to. No housing to mess with ,
Alot of camera for the price. Scubatoys has the best price on this camera at least from the research i did before getting mine
Hope this helps

scubasamurai
08-29-2007, 14:31
i have the casio exilim and i bought the underwater housing so total cost about 500. i wanted a camera that worked good on land and it works goo in the water especially for the limited amount of pictures i take. people in the dive community seemed to love it for its compact size, size of small cell phone . you can get it a best buy , or sharper image

DevilDiver
08-29-2007, 17:24
There is alot of good advice to the posted question about cameras in general.

I believe from looking at the origional post and your profile you would be best served in looking at either the Sealife or Sea & Sea cameras packages.

These systems are not only sold in packages (best to pony up and get the deluxe and not have to keep adding on) but they are suprisingly easy to use and get great results.:smiley2:

If you only get to take 1-2-3 dive trips a year you probally do not want spend all of you dive time for the next few trips trying to learn how to get the results you want. Basic camera skills simple equipment and still in the price range with good pictures.........Hmmmmmm. :smiley20:

If you purchase a traditional land camera even though an underwater housing would be available for it you would still need to purchase Trays, Arms, Strobes most likley from diferent manufactures and maybe not made to work as one system. :smiley5:

While this is totally workable, if you have never worked with a underwater system before you could be looking at alot of time and effort (and most likley money)to get yourself going.
:smiley13:
Digital SLR's are always going to be the high end (pictures & $$$) but with the advances in systems like these you should have plenty of great pictures for memories..............Good luck.

DevilDiver
08-29-2007, 17:29
Almost forgot..... Scuba Toys has everything you need. Call the shop and talk to Joe or Larry. They will help you out.........................