PDA

View Full Version : How I lost 15ish pounds on accident

JahJahwarrior
10-07-2007, 01:49
I weighed myself today at a science museum, and according to it, weight 146 pounds. Now, I tried several times, and it once went as high as 151, but it usually settled around 146, and landed on 146 2 out of 5 times.

The thing is, I'm sure a few months back I weighed 165ish. I've also noticed that this belt which I bought too small, and used to only get the first hole hooked on, I can now get the second hole hooked onto the belt thingy....so I think I have lost weight.

How did I do it?

College Cafeteria Food.

People make this huge deal about the "Freshmen 15" but I have definitely not gained 15 pounds, infact, Ithink I lost 15-20! I don't have much spending money (I have $60 per week, $15 for gas, $15 for car maintennce, $30 for whatever I want) and this forces me to eat almost every meal in the cafeteria. I also keep almost no food in my dorm, so I can't really snack, even if I wanted to. Also, I only have two meals a day. In addition to this, it's about a 10 minute walk to the cafeteria. I have a bike and skateboard, but usually if I have the time, I walk. The food there isn't very great, it's not bad, but not the best, so I don't stuff myself. I also only drink water (once every week or two I'll drink soda, and usualy once a week I'll eat a small bowl of icecream)

All of this combined has made me lose weight, I'm fairly certain a good bit of it!

I still don't like the look of my pecs, Idon't have "manboobs" but they look closer to that than "chicmagnetchest." But I am rather happy that I have not gained weight. I'm 6-0, and I think I look decent overall....if I had known I was going to lose weight at college, I would have taken measurements and/or pictures to see the change. Oh well.

Anyways, I think the reasons I've lost weight are mainly that I can't snack (no food to snack on) and I've been eating just a smidge less than normal, and I walk everywhere. The Dorm Diet seems just perfect for me!

ScubaGir1
10-07-2007, 02:11
Ah yes, the freshman 15...
You're lucky you lost 15lbs., I know a few people who lost weight too.
I gained 10lbs, and then have been stuck there. Not too bad though, that's all I've gained since high school 6 years ago....:smiley17:

JahJahwarrior
10-07-2007, 02:20
Well, I've worn the same size 34 pants since 7th grade.....and I've been shaving since 8th.......

cyclone
10-07-2007, 06:18
My resistance before I get tired is pretty awesome. Maybe because I do straneous activity like mountain hiking, rock climbing and stuff. I tell you what, I can loose 5 to 7 lbs just by running on my threadmill for 3 hours 12mph. So, 36 miles in three hours.:smiley20:

datamunk
10-07-2007, 10:32
well, theres the freshman 15 but normally thats related to all the partying and consumption of beer and alcohol.

and i guess kids eatin whatever they want? dunno ;) i didnt have the problem (senior now)

creggur
10-07-2007, 10:46
When I would go on 6 month deployments in the Navy I would always lose 15-20 pounds...How? Navy Galley food. Most guys would gain 10-15 pounds due to inactivity and eating out of boredom....I just couldn't stomach most of what was available to eat.......

Navy food = a great weight loss plan for me....

chace_nicole
10-07-2007, 17:51
Consider yourself luck JahJah...I would have loved to lose 15 instead of gain it, my caf food was quite good. Most lose it by by the end of the year...its that or buy new clothes...no thanks!:smiley36:

RoadRacer1978
10-07-2007, 18:02
I didn't gain, or lose my freshman year. Pretty much just ate remen noodles... Cheap, Cheap, Cheap.... Think they wer 0.10 per package. Was a very cheap meal. Then my sophmore year got a job at McD's and became a shift manager. Free McD's = Lots of weight. Gained like 30 pounds. Gotten some of it off, but still would like to lose more, just don;t have the self discipline to do it :(

JahJahwarrior
10-07-2007, 18:12
Like I said: I've been lucky :) I could have lost someof that before coming here, over the summer, but I don't think that's too likely.

Idon't really have a workout regimen or anything, like some people do, and I don't really watch what I eat. I do eat small portions, mainly becuase I hate feeling full. I also like I said, don't keep any food on hand (ok, I have grits, oatmeal and cheesecake mix) mainly becuase I prefer to spend my money elsewhere, I think snacking helps add alot of weight to people sometimes. I drink water at almost every meal and have been trying to drink atleast 1L of it every day at other times of the day. No clue what the reccomended amount to drink is, I just drink when I feel like I want to, and I usually drink a litre every day, unless I'm inside all day. Moreover, I don't have great self discipline, but if i'm hungry, i don't really care. Some people just have to eat when they feel hungry, me it's more like I eat around noon and I eat before 8pm (cafeteria food sucks after 8, they close some of theplaces and the workers get lazy...), usually around 7:30ish. If I'm hungry in between, oh well, I'll live :) Then I do try to walk everywhere, or bike.

So I'd really like to have a better physique, because I'd really like to be attractive to girls, but atleast I know for certain that I have lost weight, and that's a good feeling, the being hungry and walking around paid off :) (I sort of wanted to lose a little bit of weight, and definitely didn't want to gain any!) Next I'll need to start pushups or something....I want to strengthen abdominals and whatever else is "core" so I don't get a sore back after diving, and I want to do something to firm up my pectorals. But like I said, I don't have great self discipline :) I can put off eating easy as pie, but sticking to a workout schedule?

Scubastud16
10-07-2007, 18:50
Uh, I didn't do either. I'm at the same school as JahJah. Between going to the gym, running, whatever, I didn't really lose or gain. Got lucky!

Danny

JahJahwarrior
10-07-2007, 19:49
Now if only I'd shrink and inch so my wetsuit wasn't so tight from crotch to neck!

And yeah, we have a great gym here on campus, but I've never bothered to go there. I have never been part of any athletic culture, so I don't feel like I belong. :) (seriously, though)

Scubastud16
10-07-2007, 19:55
The gym is nuts. I would spend all day there if I could (damn homework...)

ScubaJenn81
10-08-2007, 05:39
If you can learn to eat like that all the time, you will not gain the next weight gain area when you hit 21 and you can really live at the bars.

Doug B
10-16-2007, 21:34
Well, I've worn the same size 34 pants since 7th grade.....and I've been shaving since 8th.......

I was 175 to 180 lbs from my sophmore year in highschool until I graduated from college.

Got a job, got married, had kids....now I'm pushing 230lbs. snuck up on me very slowly - 15 years. Not fun. Do everything you can to stay healthy and stay fit.

I'm trying now, ever so slowly to get back to 200 lbs. I feel good at 200lbs.

danielh03
10-17-2007, 02:46
Hey! I think I found your 15 pounds. Want them back?

DZorn00
10-17-2007, 09:01
When I would go on 6 month deployments in the Navy I would always lose 15-20 pounds...How? Navy Galley food. Most guys would gain 10-15 pounds due to inactivity and eating out of boredom....I just couldn't stomach most of what was available to eat.......

Navy food = a great weight loss plan for me....

Your right, the Marines are always in General Quarters, so they tend to gain a couple of pounds. I know I did, and it is pretty hard to workout on a swaying boat. 15 pounds turns into 100 on the down lean.....

Tableleg
10-17-2007, 11:33
Navy food = a great weight loss plan for me.... I'll have to remember that... :smiley36:

Everyone I've talked to has told me that galley good wasn't all that good. But I don't think they ever looked at it from a weight-loss point of view. :smiley1:

rach
10-28-2007, 23:19
yeah, consider yourself lucky....i definitely gained 15lbs in college thanks to the "but i'm still smaller than my roommate" thought process...i've since lost it all, but the homemade bread diet in dominica has caused it to come back!!:smiley11:

Charlotte Smith
10-28-2007, 23:26
I played college basketball so I lost alot of weight with all the running and weights and pratices etc......the alcohol just couldn't keep up.....

js1scuba
10-29-2007, 00:17
I lost a 100 lbs when i went to my rebreather. I got rid of the twin 120s and the 2 80s for deco gas - the net result was 100 lbs lost !

:smilie39:

Cheers

3rdEye
10-29-2007, 08:34
2 meals a day might be fine (temporarily) for a college kid with a college kid's metabolism.....but, as you get older, and that metabolism begins to slow, eating 2 meals a day is a great way to train your body to store fat. because you're body is essentially going into survival mode.

Eating 4-5 smaller meals a day, while keeping the calories in check is a better strategy, as opposed to the 2 meal a day binge and starve. And of course, your choice of food is important.