PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have issues with feet floating up?

missnumnutz
10-07-2007, 02:41
hi ladies.. just wondering if any of you have experienced their feet/fins floating up to the surface while i'm trying to remain upright to descend or that it was difficult to descend feet first? I ended up going head first..
I've was given 6 pounds of weight and wearing a 7mm paragon cruiser, oceanpro bc and split fins. I was told of ankle weights but have not decided to try them yet. While i was getting my OW I didn't experience any feet flotation just myself floating to the top near the end of the dive where it got shallower. Its seemingly hard for me to stay at the bottom and i keep floating up the moment i shift position even though I dove recently with 10-12 pounds of weight as I was told its overdoing it for anymore.. If i stuck to the floor and literally touch the floor with my chin then i had a little hope. My LDS did a bouyancy test on me with 6 pounds and said i was fine and I was able to stay under for most of the dive except near the end..where my body ascended itself - i was keeping my head down too! Not sure what's going on..

ScubaGir1
10-07-2007, 03:14
My mom's feet/fins float, so she wears 1lb. ankle weights. It works really well for her. I don't have that problem, and I dive with 14lbs with a 7mm wetsuit, 5mm booties, 6/5mm hooded vest, gloves.... and I'm just fine. Oh, and I weigh 122lbs.

Maybe give the ankle weights a try. I have also heard that some fins float more...not sure which ones though.

Zenagirl
10-07-2007, 08:34
If you're floating up to the surface and can't stop it at the end of a dive, you're underweighted. Add 2 pounds of weight (1 pound per ankle?) and you'll likely be able to stay down. Either way, add 2 pounds so you won't have any trouble doing your safety stops and making a slow ascent from 15' (and if 2 pounds isn't enough, add 4, etc).

YellowfinKunkfish
10-07-2007, 16:53
I have Oceanic V-12 splits, and they are very negative. My feet hang down, have never had the floaty feet problem. I just need to figure out how to get horizontal, and not have my feet sink! As far as being underweighted goes, I'm always more bouyant at the end of the dive, when we are more shallow, and my tank is not as full. I thought that was normal, you just let air out of your BC, so you don't make an unplanned ascent.

Rhonda

ScubaGir1
10-07-2007, 17:40
Yeah, I find that I have to start letting air out of my BC near the end of dives as well. My instructor told us that its normal b/c our tank is lighter.

missnumnutz
10-08-2007, 07:42
yes i have oceanic v12 splits! thx for all ur replies.. i might get some more weights to play around with

caroln
10-08-2007, 10:24
If your feet are getting floaty on descent, try crossing your ankles and pointing your toes down so the fins are cutting through the water giving you less resistance. BTW, ideally you want to always be horizontal in the water, not vertical, so maybe your feet are just trying to force you to get into proper position ;) When I descend, I point my toes so my fins are positioned to cut through the water rather then being a big flat horizontal surface that I have to push down. As soon as my head is beneath the surface, I switch to a horizontal orientation, and descend that way. My husband calls it my skydiving pose and I guess that's what it looks like, but it allows you to control your descent very well, as well as watch your buddy all the way down. If you can't stay down at the end of the dive, your bcd may be trapping some air. Try lifting your butt and dumping air from the rear dump valve--sounds odd, works well. You want the dump to be the highest point so that any air remaining in the bcd will be pushed out when you dump. If that doesn't work, I agree with the prior post suggesting that you are underweighted.

ScubaToys Larry
10-08-2007, 10:32
Many times I find this is not caused by "floaty feet" as much as it is "floaty waist through legs". When we toss on a lot of wetsuit - that all wants to float, so if the lead you are wearing is past the middle balance point... more toward the top of your body - that will cause the tetter to totter so to speak.

So sometimes, moving a tank lower (if a steel tank) or putting weight on the bottom tank strap, or re-arranging things with your weights can help.

The only thing I like to point out is when diving in your kicking along position, make sure you don't have too much weight on your ankles causing you to kick in a downward direction that will mess with trim, silt the bottom and or have you kicking coral if that close to the bottom.

missnumnutz
10-08-2007, 22:17
If your feet are getting floaty on descent, try crossing your ankles and pointing your toes down so the fins are cutting through the water giving you less resistance. BTW, ideally you want to always be horizontal in the water, not vertical, so maybe your feet are just trying to force you to get into proper position ;) When I descend, I point my toes so my fins are positioned to cut through the water rather then being a big flat horizontal surface that I have to push down. As soon as my head is beneath the surface, I switch to a horizontal orientation, and descend that way. My husband calls it my skydiving pose and I guess that's what it looks like, but it allows you to control your descent very well, as well as watch your buddy all the way down. If you can't stay down at the end of the dive, your bcd may be trapping some air. Try lifting your butt and dumping air from the rear dump valve--sounds odd, works well. You want the dump to be the highest point so that any air remaining in the bcd will be pushed out when you dump. If that doesn't work, I agree with the prior post suggesting that you are underweighted.

-- thx carolyn, i was actually gettin my buddy to try and dump all the air i had in my bc out as i didn't think it was all getting out.. even so we did let out a little bit but wasn't enough to stop my body from floating back up..

i will try the pointing the fins and larry's crossing the ankles next!

missnumnutz
10-08-2007, 22:20
Many times I find this is not caused by "floaty feet" as much as it is "floaty waist through legs". When we toss on a lot of wetsuit - that all wants to float, so if the lead you are wearing is past the middle balance point... more toward the top of your body - that will cause the tetter to totter so to speak.

So sometimes, moving a tank lower (if a steel tank) or putting weight on the bottom tank strap, or re-arranging things with your weights can help.

The only thing I like to point out is when diving in your kicking along position, make sure you don't have too much weight on your ankles causing you to kick in a downward direction that will mess with trim, silt the bottom and or have you kicking coral if that close to the bottom.

I DID feel like my tank a (Faber steel one) was too high when i got in the water, even though when I was on land it was seemingly sitting perfectly. My head was hitting my valve if i tilted a bit back in when I was under, will readjust again next coming dive! will tell u all how i went.. :smilie40:

BobArnold8265
10-09-2007, 10:05
I also have fins that are slightly positive. From my understanding with some fins, color has an impact on their bouyancy. Black fins tend to be netraul to negative and colored fins (mine are blue) tend to be positive. I've gotten used to mine so I don't do anything special but I have toyed with the idea of wearing 1 pound ankle weights.

Anne Eastwell
10-10-2007, 00:54
It does sound like you need more weight and that you're top heavy rather than feet light. Make sure everything is snug before you get in the water. Personally, I'd be reluctant to go with ankle weights, just another thing to lug around and you won't be able to take them until you're back at your dive bin.

I've got a new wetsuit and I'm diving with 22-24lb. It (allegedly) will get easier as the suit wears in and I'll be able to drop some weights.

divechaplain-sara
10-10-2007, 04:01
I had the floating feet problem on my open water check out dives. It was so bad that I couldn't do "regular" fin pivots because my feet kept rising. I wound up having to do them like "girl" push ups with a divemaster holdig on to my fins to keep them from floating away. I was wearing a 7 mm wet suit. I've never had a problem in any other thickness of wetsuit. I've always thought that I would need to wear ankle weights if I ever wore a 7 mm suit again. However with my Zeagle Zena BC that keeps my weights at hip level, it might not be such a problem.

WAHMof2
10-12-2007, 17:53
I know that I am still very new, but I too have found this problem. I did readjust my tank a slight bit lower and that seemed to help a little bit. I will be sur eto try the fins and leg crossing techniques next.

I'm truly enjoying reading everyone's posts. Hope to have my own info. and experiences to share soon :)

subsur
10-12-2007, 18:10
i had this problem in a dry suit. ankle weights should solve that. i only dove in a drysuit for dry suit class so i did not have a chance to fine tune my weights but in the future i will get ankle weights with a dry suit.

Jellybeandiver
10-21-2007, 19:52
I have no choice but to wear ankle weights because otherwise my feet float enough that I have actually spun around in the water.

missnumnutz
10-23-2007, 00:36
hi just an update.. i did a dive at Kurnell the other da with additional weights I went from 8 to 14 lbs and well I didn't sink like a rock straight away.. i crossed my ankles and straightened my legs my legs still went up BUT i was still sinking.. I landed on my bottom on a forgiving rock.. i felt like i WAS overweight but I was able to hold my safety stop!
I did a buoyancy test at the bottom but when I went around shallower found myself starting to float back up - my buddy noticed and tugged all the air out of my BC again for me from teh back and i resumed sinking =P all in all it was a rewarding dive - learnt a lot and got attacked by that curious cuttlefish - see my buddy's thread somewhere about a cuttle attack XD. I think I will do a few more dives with the same weight then gradually ease off...

missnumnutz
10-23-2007, 00:37
I had the floating feet problem on my open water check out dives. It was so bad that I couldn't do "regular" fin pivots because my feet kept rising. I wound up having to do them like "girl" push ups with a divemaster holdig on to my fins to keep them from floating away. I was wearing a 7 mm wet suit. I've never had a problem in any other thickness of wetsuit. I've always thought that I would need to wear ankle weights if I ever wore a 7 mm suit again. However with my Zeagle Zena BC that keeps my weights at hip level, it might not be such a problem.

i did my OW in warm tropical waters in a stinger suit.. so going from that to a 7mm was very very different!:smiley29: