PDA

View Full Version : Dive Lights - Fluro or not?

davieeeee
10-07-2007, 04:05
Hey guys,

Im in the market for my first set of dive lights. I have finally chosen the set I would like, however now im stuck on the choice of colours. ie should I go for black which is my favourite colour, or should I got for a fluro colour which is easily visible? I know a fluro coloured light will be easier to spot if I dropped it without switching the light on before hand (If the light was switched on when I dropped it then it wouldnt matter what colour thelight was as I would just be searching for the beam of light). But other than that scenario, is there any other advantage in having a fluro coloured light?

JahJahwarrior
10-07-2007, 16:36
It really won't matter in the long run. If you know anyone with similar lights, get a colour different from theirs.

Remember you can always apply flourescent pink or glow in the dark spraypaint to a black light if you want to make something more visible.

datamunk
10-07-2007, 17:34
yep. another idea is before you go diving, zip tie on some glow sticks, and then break it when u use the light or if u dont even, then if it is dropped with the can off, you can still see it in the dark.

but other than what you present, colour has no matter. what set are you getting btw?

davieeeee
10-07-2007, 18:41
I have chosen the Princeton Tec pack on Scubatoys which constists of the Shockwave LED, Impact XL LED, and Aqua Strobe, plus retractors. This is all I need and I believe a decent price for LED lights. What do you think?

I think I will stick with black then, as my buddy will get the blue!

BobArnold8265
10-07-2007, 21:05
I don't think color is a major factor but I do like the brighter colors (yellow or green). I dropped one once and it was very easy to find.

datamunk
10-07-2007, 21:32
yea, they are great lights and a great price! $100 for all of that? good find.

i personally would go blue, but, thats my fav colour ;) haha enjoy them!

ScaredSilly
10-07-2007, 22:14
Color make no difference for the most part. However, I like yum-yum yellow. As for losing them turn them on before you get in the water and put the wrist loop thingy on your wrist - and chinch it up.

JahJahwarrior
10-07-2007, 22:51
The $169 light pack?

See personally, I'd hang out for a while and buy a used 10 watt HID for $200ish. More light, rechargeable battery and charger included, and as long as you are nice to it it'll last for forever. When the lamp does break, it's about a $100 fix and you are good to go for another ten thousand hours. :)

I know, I know: LED's never break. But personally, I'd rather have the increase in light :)

If you are a rec diver, this set will do you just fine. If your buddy is getting blue, feel free to get yellow. Yellow is a high viz colour.

However, the simplest approach is to never drop your light when it's off. Keep it clipped on (with a sliding clip made of brass or SS, with an SS spring), and always turn it on bfore unclipping it, and reclip it before turning it off. You never have a light unclipped that's no on, so if you drop it, you'll have the light itself to find it with :)