PDA

View Full Version : Reducing greens with a compact camera.

davieeeee
10-07-2007, 04:14
HI guys,
Unfortunatly I cannot join the underwater SLR club yet as I cannot afford the housing for my Nikon jsut yet. So I am stuck with a plain old 3MP compact camera with not many settings other than white balance.
WHat I am finding, is that I am having trouble compensating for the lack of red colour underwater.
What suggestions do people have for fixing up this effect on simple compact cameras? I am good with photoshop, but I prefer to get the shot right in the first place rather than modify it after.
Are there any basic red filters that will work with compacts?

Charlotte Smith
10-07-2007, 06:47
I can't remember who fixed my picture but they a very good with the cameras....seem like his screen name is Vercingetorix or something ...you should definitely talk with him about the green colors....

somewhereinla
10-07-2007, 12:24
The good thing is you have the most important feature needed which is manual white balance. All you have to do is get an undewater white balance reading with a slate, and you camera will compensate. You will still have to tweak it with photoshop, but at least you will have a red channel to work with.

BobArnold8265
10-07-2007, 21:08
They do make red filters that will help when you're diving shallow. Deeper dives will require a strobe.

As for Photo Shop, I'm just a novice please let me know if anyone gives you some good advice and new tricks !!!

bversteegh
10-08-2007, 22:53
Do a Google search on Magic filters - and buy the one for compact cameras. They are around $ 50. Great product that works well - make sure and follow the instructions to get best results.

davieeeee
11-02-2007, 22:08
Has anyone used these Magic Filters for compact cameras How good are they?
My only concern is that the website states that you shouldnt use a flash with it. If this is the case, im worried my compact camera will jsut blur out the photos instead of catching those pesky fish darting the other way!

bversteegh
11-04-2007, 00:40
I've used the one for DSLR, but not for compacts. If you have decent Vis and at least some Sun, work pretty well. Not as good in green water or overcast days.

Aussie
11-09-2007, 01:47
Has anyone used these Magic Filters for compact cameras How good are they?
My only concern is that the website states that you shouldnt use a flash with it. If this is the case, im worried my compact camera will jsut blur out the photos instead of catching those pesky fish darting the other way!

If you like Davieeeee send me a few pics and I will play with them in photoshop for you and see what the difference is.

Aussie