PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Spring Straps for Bio-Fins

Geronimo
10-07-2007, 11:07
Okay, I've read through various threads about spring straps and I've decided on getting them. I'm actually going to be ordering two pairs of Apollo Bio-fins for my wife and I and I'd like to get the spring straps installed before shipping if possible.

I have several questions:

1) Larry mentioned the Tilos Pro Diver Spring Straps (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TilosProDiverSpringStraps) as being more affordable ($31.95). Do these attach differently than the Apollo C-Straps (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Cstrap)? Easier? they're half the price of the Apollo C-Straps ($64) and the Tilos have a more exact sizing chart.

2) If I buy order them with the spring straps, can they be attached before being sent to me or do I have to size them myself and install? I just moved to Saipan and don't have any tools here.

3) The Manta Spring Strap (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Cstrap) seems like a good choice because they don't require a permanent alteration to the fin. They're $46 and they also have a more detailed sizing chart than the Apollo C-Straps. How do they compare in quality and comfort to the Apollo C-Straps or the Tilos?

Quality is important to me....same with comfort. If the Mantas are of comparable comfort and quality then they seem like a good choice. However, if they don't measure up or won't last, then I'd rather go with the more expensive Apollo C-Straps.

Anyone with experience on these various spring straps, please offer advice or insight. I'd like to order soon. My wife is really unhappy using the shop rental fins....and of course I've been wanting to order Bio-Fins for ages so now I have no reason to wait.

Thanks!

ScubaToys Larry
10-07-2007, 11:24
Ok... We can install any of them... and the C-Straps from apollo if you get them with them, are bolted on. They aren't coming off unless you decide to unbolt them. The others both clip onto the pre-existing posts (that are not there = or cut off if doing c-straps). Those can be taken off and on and swapped out for the standard straps if you wish.

So if getting new apollo's, I'd say get them with the C-straps on from the factory. If you have fins and want to put your own on - then do the tilos, unless you feel comfortable cutting off the tabs and drilling holes in the side of the fins for the c-straps. We do it all the time for folks - we have the dremel tool with the proper cut off tips and drills and templates to make it fast and easy for us. And I think Joey is kinda' into the smell of the burning rubber! :smiley36:

There's my perspective... now let's get some more!

Hidreck
10-17-2007, 01:30
Ok... We can install any of them... and the C-Straps from apollo if you get them with them, are bolted on. They aren't coming off unless you decide to unbolt them. The others both clip onto the pre-existing posts (that are not there = or cut off if doing c-straps). Those can be taken off and on and swapped out for the standard straps if you wish.

So if getting new apollo's, I'd say get them with the C-straps on from the factory. If you have fins and want to put your own on - then do the tilos, unless you feel comfortable cutting off the tabs and drilling holes in the side of the fins for the c-straps. We do it all the time for folks - we have the dremel tool with the proper cut off tips and drills and templates to make it fast and easy for us. And I think Joey is kinda' into the smell of the burning rubber! :smiley36:

There's my perspective... now let's get some more!

Yep on it all. I got a pair of the yellow bio when thay came out and did not get the springs. I put on a pair that slip over the post, and I had troble with them poping off when fining up. So I got a nilon wahser to put under to brackit to push it up so it would lock in right. But I love them.

Netsloth
10-17-2007, 08:13
I have the Manta pin-style on my OMS Slipstream fins. I love them. They are totally low-profile, quality, and super easy to don/doff.

The installation was super simple. The hardest part was removing the factory hardware to make way for the steel loop.

CompuDude
10-17-2007, 13:54
I agree with Larry. I'm all for the cheaper spring straps, but for the bio-fins, get the Apollo straps from the factory and you'll be happiest. If you're buying new fins and new straps (separately) at the same time anyway, it's only around $30 more to get the factory spring straps... and that's $30 well spent.

Xspect
10-21-2007, 18:40
I hoping to orders these soon. I will be transfering from volo powers to theses. I hope I can make the adjustment