PDA

View Full Version : Tablerock live-aboard trip? ( Kimberling City )

Brandon Belew
10-07-2007, 13:20
I asked on ScubaBoard and no one responded, are any of you going no this dive trip? Oct 26,27,28?

SteveC
10-07-2007, 22:14
Who is organizing the trip?

Brandon Belew
10-08-2007, 10:03
Puddle Jumpers out of Russell Kansas
785-483-6271

I think they have some spots open.

billucusdiver
10-10-2007, 21:23
Sounds like a good time.

Bring the Payne
10-16-2007, 01:40
I had no idea they did liveaboards on the lake. If you go let us know how it went.

plot
10-21-2007, 13:40
A shop in Kansas City does them too. Basically they rent a house boat for a weekend... as typical with liveaboards, can be a great time with the right group or a horrible time with the wrong one with the close quarters.

Brandon Belew
10-21-2007, 23:32
I'm really looking forward to it, i'm leaving first thing friday morning to head down there.

I just hope the weather holds out, would suck to have three days off, on a lake, and it be snowing, raining, or thunderstorms.

I've never been on a liveaboard before, we were taking one boat last time I heard, of there were more people they were going to get a second boat.

One of the main reasons why i'm going it to finish up my advanced open water, already read up on rescue.. just need to get the dives out of the way for advanced before I can start doing them for rescue.

Speaking of advanced, anyone else find it incredibly boring? The book for rescue diver is much better in my opinion....

texdiveguy
10-21-2007, 23:37
I'm really looking forward to it, i'm leaving first thing friday morning to head down there.

I just hope the weather holds out, would suck to have three days off, on a lake, and it be snowing, raining, or thunderstorms.

I've never been on a liveaboard before, we were taking one boat last time I heard, of there were more people they were going to get a second boat.

One of the main reasons why i'm going it to finish up my advanced open water, already read up on rescue.. just need to get the dives out of the way for advanced before I can start doing them for rescue.

Speaking of advanced, anyone else find it incredibly boring? The book for rescue diver is much better in my opinion....

Never heard of Puddle Jumpers out of Russell Kansas?? So just what is this weekend involve and its cost??

Brandon Belew
10-23-2007, 22:45

Never heard of Puddle Jumpers out of Russell Kansas?? So just what is this weekend involve and its cost??

Its pretty much just:

On the boat friday morning, off the boat sunday afternoon.

170$ for the weekend ( boat / food / etc ) air fills are seperate. They have a chaser boat come up and grab tanks to take them back and fill them in between dives.

Other then that, I don't know. I've never been on a boat trip before, so this one is a suprise for me.

Brandon

texdiveguy
10-23-2007, 22:58

Its pretty much just:

On the boat friday morning, off the boat sunday afternoon.

170$ for the weekend ( boat / food / etc ) air fills are seperate. They have a chaser boat come up and grab tanks to take them back and fill them in between dives.

Other then that, I don't know. I've never been on a boat trip before, so this one is a suprise for me.

Brandon

Thanks sounds interesting.

snagel
10-28-2007, 09:25
Brandon Belew: Please post a followup. We're interested in hearing about how things went.

S. Nagel

Brandon Belew
10-28-2007, 17:21
I just got back about 20 minutes ago, it was pretty fun.

Water temp at 90 ft was 58ish. Vis was horrible until you reached 50-60 feet, but other then that it was great. Plenty of fish out and about, seen a craw-dad the size of a lobster :P

As for the boats, we had two house boats each slept 12. We had 9 on our boat, so we had plenty of room to move around.

The boats had a decent sized living area which could sleep 2 couples if needed, and a full kitchen attached to the living area. Off the living area there were two bunks, a half bath, and a full bath with a shower. Towards the back of the boat there is a ladder going up into the loft which can sleep a couple as well. Off the side of the ladder there is a room with bunk beds ( that was my room ), a little farther down the boat is the master bedroom.

Off the back of the boats there was a ladder that went onto the top of the boat where there was seating, a sink and a slide down into the water.

Unfortunately I didn't get to attempt an entry via the slide. Didn't want to pay for the slide :P

gibson1525
10-29-2007, 20:36
what dive sights did you do? was there unlimited diving?

Brandon Belew
10-30-2007, 19:11
what dive sights did you do? was there unlimited diving?

We could dive as much as we could, the dive shops boat only met up with us once a day to swap out tanks though.

I think we dove at point 9, point 7, and the island we call goose island. All of the dives were along walls, 60-100 ft, plenty of trees to dodge... damn things sneak up on you.

Brandon

gibson1525
10-30-2007, 19:24
that's awesome, we have a house at point 11. you're right about those trees, i think that's why i never really liked the lake diving. glad it was a good time, i had no idea people did those kind of trips.

Brandon Belew
10-31-2007, 23:15
that's awesome, we have a house at point 11. you're right about those trees, i think that's why i never really liked the lake diving. glad it was a good time, i had no idea people did those kind of trips.

It really wasn't that bad, you should try it. It seems like there are good walls to explore pretty much 10-15 ft off of shore. We didn't once dive anchored, we always tied off to a tree at one of the points. I'm kinda curious if there is anything to see out in the middle. I normally just dive Oronogo since it's close and cheap, but it was a good change.

gibson1525
11-07-2007, 13:48
It really wasn't that bad, you should try it. It seems like there are good walls to explore pretty much 10-15 ft off of shore. We didn't once dive anchored, we always tied off to a tree at one of the points. I'm kinda curious if there is anything to see out in the middle. I normally just dive Oronogo since it's close and cheap, but it was a good change.

i haven't done too much diving in table rock but we've dove the houseboat and breezy point down by the dam is also nice. supposedly there is an underwater town, but the general consesus is that is a myth. most of the bridges that were used before the river was dammed are still around. i've heard the one under the kimberling city bridge is a good dive, if you don't mind deeper dives. there are a few more wrecks but i'm not quite sure where they are but the local dive shops do. we used to dive with aquasports in springfield, they run a good operation.

Dark Wolf
11-09-2007, 07:10
Hey Brandon,
Glad you had a good trip. I think that I will be down that way next year, and really looking foreward to it. Thanks for the report.

Brandon Belew
11-12-2007, 20:11
Hey Brandon,
Glad you had a good trip. I think that I will be down that way next year, and really looking foreward to it. Thanks for the report.

I think i'll go again next year, the summer trip is a little more expensive then the fall trip. I'll probably just suck it up and do the fall trip again. Getting into a nice cold wetsuit after a night in the 30's is always fun :)

texdiveguy
11-12-2007, 21:07
Hey Brandon,

I think i'll go again next year, the summer trip is a little more expensive then the fall trip. I'll probably just suck it up and do the fall trip again. Getting into a nice cold wetsuit after a night in the 30's is always fun :)

Curious...when is the fall trip and its cost and what does it include??

Brandon Belew
11-19-2007, 19:55
Hey Brandon,

This year it was Oct 26,27,28. I'm sure it will be around the same time next year. The cost was 170$

The trip included:
Fri noonish - Sunday noonish on the house boat. These are 12 person house boats ( we only had 9 on ours ). The front of the boat has a living room / kitchen. The two couches double as beds if necessary. On past the kitchen there are two bathrooms, a set of bunk beds on the opposite side of the large bathroom. On down the hall is a door that leads into a small room with two bunks, outside of that room is a ladder to the loft which can sleep a couple people. Past the ladder is a room with one bed. Past that is a sliding door leading to the back of the boat, where there is another ladder going up onto the roof complete with seats, a sink, bridge, and a slide.

The trip included a meal Friday night, saturday night. I think lunch Sat was provided too, but I may be wrong. We brought snacks and meats and what not to eat as well, and for breakfast and what not. The money also included parking.

Air is not included, the fills were like 6 or 7$. "Ugly Boat" from the dive shop would meet us once/twice a day to snag our empties and bring us back some filled ones.

It was worth 170$, next time I will enjoy it more since it won't be check out dives for training. I also won't waste as much money on junk food next time, since half of it is still sitting in my kitchen.

texdiveguy
11-19-2007, 21:00
Hey Brandon,

This year it was Oct 26,27,28. I'm sure it will be around the same time next year. The cost was 170$

The trip included:
Fri noonish - Sunday noonish on the house boat. These are 12 person house boats ( we only had 9 on ours ). The front of the boat has a living room / kitchen. The two couches double as beds if necessary. On past the kitchen there are two bathrooms, a set of bunk beds on the opposite side of the large bathroom. On down the hall is a door that leads into a small room with two bunks, outside of that room is a ladder to the loft which can sleep a couple people. Past the ladder is a room with one bed. Past that is a sliding door leading to the back of the boat, where there is another ladder going up onto the roof complete with seats, a sink, bridge, and a slide.

The trip included a meal Friday night, saturday night. I think lunch Sat was provided too, but I may be wrong. We brought snacks and meats and what not to eat as well, and for breakfast and what not. The money also included parking.

Air is not included, the fills were like 6 or 7$. "Ugly Boat" from the dive shop would meet us once/twice a day to snag our empties and bring us back some filled ones.

It was worth 170$, next time I will enjoy it more since it won't be check out dives for training. I also won't waste as much money on junk food next time, since half of it is still sitting in my kitchen.

Thanks for the recap...sounds like a good time.