PDA

View Full Version : Suggested first dry suit?

Brandon Belew
10-07-2007, 13:24
So i'm contemplating putting a dry suit on my wish list for christmas.

I have never dove with one before, does anyone have any suggestions of nice / cheaper dry suits?

Thanks!

Kingpatzer
10-07-2007, 13:28
I like the diving concept suits, some of their lower-end tri-lams are very nice for the money.

DivingsInMyBlood
10-07-2007, 13:49
bare nex gen is a cheaper entry suit.

Flatliner
10-07-2007, 14:15
My first several dry suit dives were in the Bare nextgen, (a rental) while it isn't top of the line, it's a good suit if cost is an issue.

r2t
10-07-2007, 14:16
scuba toys has a great deal on a bare hd trilam
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TrilamHDTechDry

somewhereinla
10-07-2007, 14:22
I am actually thinking of getting a dry suit as well, and I have done extensive research. One name that keep coming back is DUI as being the best suit as far as quality and strenght of the material. It also seem that people prefer the front entry suits. A good front entry suit will run about $1200.
The cheapest suit right now is the Bare Nexgen. Most reviews I have read are very positive. Also Body Glove has a new Dry suit which is about the same price as the Next Gen but front entry.

ScaredSilly
10-07-2007, 22:29
DUI does make a great suit. I have one as does my wife. They are pricey but there always seems to some for sale via ebay. Because they are pricey folks like Pinacle are filling in with both quality and price.

Brandon Belew
10-08-2007, 16:58
I wish dry suits weren't so expensive :( I face the choice, ask for cash and buy more dive gear ( maybe start working on a tech rig ).. or spend 1200+ on one thing. Then probably not being able to find someone to dive with me during the winter anyways :P

Decisions..decisions..decisions.. :smiley13:

cummings66
10-08-2007, 17:36
Don't assume name=quality. The name DUI is marketing. Based on a poll I'm running here I'd say Bare is in the lead with most divers going that brand, DUI follows up in second place. That's also what I see locally.

I have buddies with both brands, and I have dove them myself. It is not however what I dive with, it's a Viking. So I'm not slamming any brand, just pointing out that DUI is a name like any other, don't buy into it being magical or that it gives x ray vision to it's user. If it fits and works, and is in your budget the CLX450 IMO is the only DUI suit worth owning.

I am biased about the suit material however, membrane style is more flexible in terms of usability. I can dive year round in mine, sometimes thick neoprene drysuits will limit what you can do before you overheat.

In the end, a Bare drysuit is priced well and not a bad suit at all. I think that's why I see so many of them around. I'd dive a Bare any day, good solid suit.

If you buy one, get a suit with pockets on it. You'll thank me later.

Brandon Belew
10-09-2007, 10:10
I'll have to find a place to shove some weight :P I don't have enough pockets for weight with a 7mm two piece, so assuming I definately wouldnt with a dry suit. I need to start wearing a weight belt in addition to my integrated I guess. :(

Kingpatzer
10-09-2007, 12:09
I wish dry suits weren't so expensive :(

For all diver gear -- think in terms of cost per dive, not initial outlay.

Hex92
10-26-2007, 14:27
Can't go wrong with the Nex-Gen.
Great suit, great price. Although not as cheap as they used to be since the Canadian dollar is worth the same as the US $.

BuzzF117
10-28-2007, 15:14
I know of divers that even use them in warm water they just don't use the undergarments and they love em.

Lake Diver
10-28-2007, 17:24
I got a Whites Nexus trilam shell suit, including thinsulate undergarments, socks, boots, SI Tech swivel inlet valve, SI Tech exhaust valve, carry bag, inflator hose all for like $600 brand new...it is a fine drysuit in my opinion for learning with to see if you like them or not!

Ohmdiver
10-28-2007, 18:45
I have a Bare NexGen, about 8 years old. Great suit for the money...

bubble-head
10-28-2007, 20:21
Has anyone dove the Dive Rite front zip 905? It seems like it would be a good suit with some good features included.

cummings66
10-29-2007, 12:28
If you've got a membrane suit, trust me on this, you will use some sort of undergarment or you'll have hickeys like you can't believe. Ever see the original Startrek with Captain Kirk where the crew member gets the salt sucked out of him? That's what you're going to look like if you don't have something under a membrane suit. Only it's going to hurt.

Under Armour is what you'd use, the light stuff.

CompuDude
10-29-2007, 13:05
Honestly? IMO, take your time and find a used suit for cheap. Spend under $500 on it. Then you'll learn what you like and don't like in a drysuit first hand, and you can slowly save for the suit you really want, with all of the features on your wish list, no need to compromise. And meanwhile, you'll be diving dry. Just be sure to take your time and get one that fits reasonably well... this may not be possible for some with more extreme body types.

Once you get the new suit, you can decide (depending on finances) if you want to sell the first used suit (probably for close to what you paid for it, if you've taken reasonable care of it) or keep it as a backup. Win-win either way.

bobbin-along
10-29-2007, 17:01
When it comes to dry suits, I we went with an entry level suit before committing the big bucks to a custom with all the doo-dahs. Why? Because we needed to learn the suit and learn while diving dry what doo-dahs we would really want.

Did we need to thigh pockets? a diagonal or horizontal front zip? Neoprene or latex seals? The list is seemingly endless.

So we bought basic entry level suits and dove the snot out of it for 2 years. We learned alot from those two years.

I learned that I didn't desire a diagonal front zip because I didn't like the added fabric bulk of the telescoping torsos, but I did like and would use 2 thigh pockets. I also really liked latex seals (bottle rather than tapered wrist seals) and integrated boots and I didn't want that funky neoprene cold water shawl that some models had. I also didn't like all cordura fabric because it was too stiff for me to move easily around in.

Hubby wanted the telescoping torso horizontal front zip, only one pocket, integrated boots, and dry gloves.

cummings66
10-29-2007, 17:38
My dream suit would be something like the DUI CLX450, pockets on each thigh with a latex dryhood and boots like the Viking Extreme and be a back entry suit.

therealtreehugger
11-03-2007, 13:41
I am actually thinking of getting a dry suit as well, and I have done extensive research. One name that keep coming back is DUI as being the best suit as far as quality and strenght of the material. It also seem that people prefer the front entry suits. A good front entry suit will run about $1200.
The cheapest suit right now is the Bare Nexgen. Most reviews I have read are very positive. Also Body Glove has a new Dry suit which is about the same price as the Next Gen but front entry.

I dive with a DUI dry suit, and have had a little trouble with the zipper material leaking where it joins to the suit fabric (front zipper, suit is 11 yrs old). I have been told by some people that this is par for the course with DUI, but it has since been fixed with a dremel and Aquaseal, and so far, so good. Does anyone have any comments about DUI leaks vs other brands leaking, either in zipper areas or other places? I will eventually need to get my own, I only borrow this one.
Thanks - Becky:wave:

WaScubaDude
11-03-2007, 14:32
My dream suit would be something like the DUI CLX450, pockets on each thigh with a latex dryhood and boots like the Viking Extreme and be a back entry suit.

I agree with the pockets point. May be my next move to glue some to mine. The Ranger pockets are a little tough for me to get into and secure stuff back into.

quasimoto
11-03-2007, 15:20
I would have to say Bare. I usually don't dive dry but several people that I know own Bare. I also know several that use the DUI but for the price, I don't think Bare can be beat. Also they have a huge selection of stock sizes. Maybe this year I will buy one.

cummings66
11-04-2007, 08:09
I dive with a DUI dry suit, and have had a little trouble with the zipper material leaking where it joins to the suit fabric (front zipper, suit is 11 yrs old). I have been told by some people that this is par for the course with DUI

I believe from personal first hand experience that DUI leaks more than other brands, but an 11 year old suit is bound to leak somewhere so you can't blame DUI for that one. Zippers on any drysuit are the weakest spot because it's going to get the most abuse of any device on it. My buddies Viking has a leak on his zipper where the zipper material got a pin hole in it and he patched it much the same way.

I know this much, a group I know of swears that they all dive DUI and not one of them has ever had a leak. I had a chance to dive with them and the funniest thing on Earth happened. EVERY SINGLE ONE was wet, some sopping wet. Yet they insist that nobody has ever got wet. I'd love to see what they call wet. PS, the number was small, only about 5 of their divers were there.

mudshark
11-18-2007, 01:04
I got a Mares ice dry. It wasn't the cheapest but it was the most comfortable and that's something to keep in mind also. Cheap is great but if that seal is gonna rub your skin raw it may not be a good deal for you, while it may not bother someone else.

kancho
11-19-2007, 14:58
I am interested in getting a dry suit. Has anyone looked at the Pinnacle Freedom?

PsychDiver
11-22-2007, 22:23
DUI offers divemasters a 40% discount and instructors a 50% discount. So if you are close you could complete your divemaster and save a bunch on a custome suit. If not go with an entry Bare. I have three Bare wetsuits and really like their products. Haven't tried their dry suits though.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 12:37
i wish i could afford a dry suit

kancho
11-26-2007, 13:31
How do you get that discount? Which site do you have to go to get it.. I will of completed my DM course in a couple of weeks. let me know

CompuDude
11-26-2007, 13:43
How do you get that discount? Which site do you have to go to get it.. I will of completed my DM course in a couple of weeks. let me know

You generally have to go through an authorized dealer to get a Pro Deal. They'll have the info for you.