PDA

View Full Version : AOW

ertechsg
07-16-2007, 18:19
Who is in STAOW class for AUGlakeTravis?

Liv7301
07-18-2007, 22:05
Myself and my husband are in the class. Also Tom (Illini_Fan) will be there as well!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We are all looking forward to it! </DIV>

Illini_Fan
07-18-2007, 23:20
ertechsq, can I assume you are in the class vs just being inquisitive?

Also, jipthepeople (Chris) who I dove with at CSSP this past weekend is enrolled.

mwhities
07-18-2007, 23:27
What are the dates of said class? If they were.. say over the weekend from Friday night to Sunday. I'd almost go there and take the class.

Michael

Illini_Fan
07-19-2007, 07:55
classroom session is Monday 08/06. Dives are down in Austin on Sat/Sun (08/11 &amp; 08/12)

Liv7301
07-19-2007, 09:41
What are the dates of said class? If they were.. say over the weekend from Friday night to Sunday. I'd almost go there and take the class.

Michael

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Where would you be coming from Michael?</DIV>

mwhities
07-19-2007, 09:44
Where would you be coming from Michael?

Jackson, MS

Michael

Liv7301
07-19-2007, 09:57
Oh, that is a haul. Not so bad for the weekend in Austin, but with the Monday class that probably wouldn't work. (Unless you have an employer that doesn't mind random days off.) That is a shame because we are fun!!

Liv7301
07-19-2007, 09:58
classroom session is Monday 08/06. Dives are down in Austin on Sat/Sun (08/11 &amp; 08/12)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just you Tom or is Josh (hope I got his name right) taking the class too?</DIV>

Illini_Fan
07-19-2007, 10:40
Good memory, my son is Josh. But nope, he opted out, he doesn't have the dive bug as bad as I do. He has the "I'm a lazy 16-year old" bug.

Liv7301
07-19-2007, 11:01
Ah, to be a young and lazy teenager. Those were the days.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Of course now I'm closer to 30 than not, but still lazy. Just not when it comes to diving.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I loved chatting with your father back in May. He reminds me of Carl Reiner, and I mean that as a huge compliment. :)</DIV>

ertechsg
07-21-2007, 09:22
ertechsq, can I assume you are in the class vs just being inquisitive?

Also, jipthepeople (Chris) who I dove with at CSSP this past weekend is enrolled.
You are correct my wife (ocean_ dreamer) and I will be there. Looking foward to a fun, wet weekend. It will be nice to meet some of thses peopleand put names to face.Is everyone camping or hotel? Wife and I are going to a hotel too hot in AUG.

JipThePeople
07-23-2007, 00:12
I will be there as well. I had a great dive with Tom (Illini Fan) at CSSP a few weekends ago and will be looking forward to the advanced training.

JipThePeople
07-23-2007, 00:44
BTW, we are NOT required to purchase lights for the night dive, correct? I assumed that SToys would be providing those.

woody
07-23-2007, 06:55
BTW, we are NOT required to purchase lights for the night dive, correct? I assumed that SToys would be providing those.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Sorry, but no, ST is not providing the lights for the night dive. There is a really good package that contains all the required lights.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UKlLightKnifeKit</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>or </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PrincetonLedPack (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Princet&#111;nLedPack)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Are good started packages if you are unsure of you desire to dive in dark places.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you know that night (or deep texas lake) diving is for you then you might think about this one.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TribalPak</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>

Liv7301
07-23-2007, 10:51
I didn't even think about lights...mostly because we each already have a set. Don't remember if we have tank lights yet though. Might have to buy those when we get back in town.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We will be camping. Yeah, it will be hot, but we are part of the crazy generation. That and we like camping.</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 11:54
I didn't even think about lights...mostly because we each already have a set. Don't remember if we have tank lights yet though. Might have to buy those when we get back in town.
<div></div>
<div>We will be camping. Yeah, it will be hot, but we are part of the crazy generation. That and we like camping.</div>

Buy the green chem sticks for tank lights. They're cheap and you don't have to worry about batteries or flooding.

woody
07-23-2007, 16:34
Buy the green chem sticks for tank lights. They're cheap and you don't have to worry about batteries or flooding.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>They will work for the AOW class, but remember that most tropical destinations don't like/allow them. To much trash for them to deal with.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 17:12

<div></div>
<div>They will work for the AOW class, but remember that most tropical destinations don't like/allow them. To much trash for them to deal with.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Woody</div>

I'm really glad you mentioned that. I was planning on taking a bunch of those on an upcoming trip to Turks and Caicos. Guess it is time for plan B.

ertechsg
07-24-2007, 16:28
Don't forget your compass too. Plan on renting a prim light atleast ST give 1/2 price rental for classes.

Liv7301
07-26-2007, 14:31
Oh, that's right...there is some nav work onduring AOWtoo. Forgot about that. Glad that I already have my compass.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My first shining moment of nav was out at CSSP. Ihad done terribly on nav during OW. When we were out there for one of our first weekends after the class we did a nav from our dock down on the far end, up to the boat and I nailed it! I was most proud of myself!</DIV>

Liv7301
07-26-2007, 14:36

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>They will work for the AOW class, but remember that most tropical destinations don't like/allow them. To much trash for them to deal with.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We'll probably just get outselves some inexpensive tank lights at the shop. Nothing fancy, just the $11-12 ones. We are going to need them anyway by November.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Besides, I have that big sexy $10 gift certificate now that is just scorching a hole in my pocket!</DIV>