PDA

View Full Version : Tusa Reef Tourer Conquest - Review

mitsuguy
10-08-2007, 01:05
Hey guys, in my search for dive gear, I have come across the Reef Tourer Conquest by TUSA for my wife... She tried on the Tusa Liberator and the Selene in the LDS and both fit just fine. Looks to me like the Conquest is pretty similar to both, but at a greatly reduced price. (she prefers the jacket BC)

With the discounts ST gives us board members it's hard not to buy this from them...

Any reason to or not to go with this? Always a possibility of an upgrade in the future, but we both think this will work just fine for her.

TIA

mitsuguy
10-19-2007, 11:06
alrighty then... no one has tried this BCD yet, but we just got hers in the mail yesterday, thanks to scubatoys... they didn't even have it in stock, and I still got it in good time...

so, I ordered the BCD, and two of the $5 dive knives... after my $10 discount and 10% discount, after shipping and all, I was at $230...

so anyways... she hasn't dove this BCD yet, that will be this sunday and next friday...

here's a "dry" review...

Tusa Reef Tourer Conquest Jacket BCD
first out of the box, this thing surprised me... the pictures on the web kinda make it look dingy and not attractive... The colors of the graphic on the side pockets and the white trim are actually a good contrast and look good in person... the black is very black, heavy duty denier, not sure of the weight, but it appears the same as my Tusa X-pert BCJ6900 (which cost twice as much) It comes with a safety whistle tied to the corrugated inflator hose, it comes with the low pressure hose to hook to the first stage, and an instruction manual in somewhat poorly translated english, it's not bad or hard to understand, but there are definitely some translation errors. It obviously has the removable weight pockets included as well, Tusa doesn't give you much option due to their design, which is good, by the way.

Ok, fitment - obviously a small won't fit me, but it fits my wife good, a touch big, but good... she is 110 lbs, and 5'2" - she uses up a good amount of the adjustments, but it is secure on her. The cummerbund is adjustable to a The fit is very very similar to the Tusa Selene, and it (selene) costs twice as much.

Alright, now on to other features... It has two dump valves - one activated by pulling on the corrugated inflator hose - seems to work well, and is identical to my Tusa X-pert... The other is within easy reach by your butt on the right side... It has just one tank strap, but the tank rails that are integrated are long and directly attached to the "backplate" inside the bcd - it appears you could buy a second tank strap to use for security, but I doubt it will be needed... (my X-pert goes about this differently - it uses smaller rails, but two straps)... As with almost all Tusa BCD's, it has the quick release weight system that cannot fall out on accident... there is a two stage lock that is unlocked by pulling on the straps on either side... this works great, but could be costly if you actually had to dump your weights... (whats a few bucks if you are in trouble though) The inflator valve is significantly smaller than mine, which works for her, her hands are significantly smaller as well... The side pockets are very roomy - plenty of room for anything I could think of in there, however part of it is taken up when you actually put weights in the dump pockets... It has one nice stainless d-ring on the right shoulder strap, and plenty of smaller plastic rings... it came with a console holder that can be moved from place to place as well, we'll see how handy that is... One thing I found very interesting - the waist strap and chest strap are actually thicker than the ones on my X-pert... one more note - it has both a tank position strap and a carrying handle...

Overall a good product so far - we'll see how it fares in the water...

one more thing - those scubamax knives mounted perfectly on the outside of the pockets of both BCD's with the included hardware...

mitsuguy
11-02-2007, 13:16
alright, well, now that she has been in the water with this, she absolutely loves it...granted, its the first BCD she has actually owned, but it works great for her - the weight pockets are easy for her to operate, it fits her well, she actually prefers the semi hard rubber backplate (a soft one is available too), the pockets are nice and roomy, and it works well, period... a great value in a jacket bcd...

I still can't get over the fact it has pretty much all the features as my Tusa Xpert at half the price (minus back inflate)...

emalebiga
04-08-2008, 21:05
Yeah I found this 3 months after I got my Tusa 2100 for about 130 and now I wish I could have waited.

SHAGGY
04-21-2008, 03:34
I recently purchased one for my son. He likes a jacket style and likes the fitament of the Conquest. I added a TUSA IR-3 octo/inflator to it. I have to admit that you definately wont accidentionally lose a weight pocket on the Conquest. I do like how it takes a pretty good tug get get them out unlike my Seaquest Pro QD which come out fairly easily. A few more D rings would be nice on this BCD, otherwise its a good quality BCD.

shaggy

John Henry
05-04-2009, 03:28
Hey guys, in my search for dive gear, I have come across the Reef Tourer Conquest by TUSA for my wife... She tried on the Tusa Liberator and the Selene in the LDS and both fit just fine. Looks to me like the Conquest is pretty similar to both, .......

There is a guy on EBAY selling some reef tourer conquests. He says they are the exact same model as the Liberator, just labeled differantly for internet sales.

Can anyone confirm this ? My LDS rents the Liberator and I am pretty happy with it. Need to buy my own.

mitsuguy
05-04-2009, 06:46
Hey guys, in my search for dive gear, I have come across the Reef Tourer Conquest by TUSA for my wife... She tried on the Tusa Liberator and the Selene in the LDS and both fit just fine. Looks to me like the Conquest is pretty similar to both, .......

There is a guy on EBAY selling some reef tourer conquests. He says they are the exact same model as the Liberator, just labeled differantly for internet sales.

Can anyone confirm this ? My LDS rents the Liberator and I am pretty happy with it. Need to buy my own.

they are similar.... in fact trying on a liberator and looking at pictures was what confirmed that she should be ok in that bc... there are a few subtle differences...

I would say generally if you were happy with the the liberator, then the conquest would be fine for you...

the one thing that neither of us ended up liking in the long run on the conquest, and subsequently on her replacement for it, the Tusa Selene Wing, is the low pressure inflator... Tusa obviously has two designs - a smaller one that gets put on the "womens" designs (though the Conquest is a unisex bc, it would appear it was potentially going to be a womens version of the liberator - it appears Tusa marks womens BC's with white weight pocket releases and the smaller inflator) whereas mine came with a larger inflator... she liked the way mine worked better than hers - the button action was better and it inflated faster too, so we just replaced it by itself... then we traded it to her Selene Wing when it came with the womens style as well...

Hope that helps...

ps just looked up that auction - he says there are multiple SS d rings, when in fact there is only one on the right shoulder...

John Henry
05-04-2009, 06:49
thanks for the info!