PDA

View Full Version : Force Fins?

Scoobidoo
10-08-2007, 05:32
I have been going through comments of the Force Fins on the Scubaboard "Force Fins" forum, obviously quite a few people liked them (...knowing that's the...ar....Force Fins forum). I'm using Volo Power at the moment, they're a fine pair of fins, just a little bulky to carry around, and heard a few people have had problems cracking and breaking at the weaker spots (where they had the holes).

I'd like to get some not so biased views on the Force Fins. Any comments welcome.

Cheers! :smiley20:

Desert_Diver
10-08-2007, 13:50
Force fins have their good and bad points.

Good points.
Pack more compactly
Do quite well in a flutter kick
Easy to get on and off if you have the bungee straps (Big deal in Rescue Diver type classes)

Bad points.
Absolutely suck on surface swims face down in the water (but OK if you are on your back)
Don't work as well in frog kick

If your interested, find someone in your area who owns some. Ask to to a trial run.

Art

PS I have a pair. I use them sometimes.

floater
10-08-2007, 14:21
Force fins are kind of weird but they do work. I tried Force fin pros in the pool yesterday with doubles and they were fine, just very different from the jet type fins I'm used to. The frog kick did work on them. It was weak, but took very little effort - that's the kick I'd use when going slowly. The flutter was much faster but took more effort. Helicopter turn worked great and back kick also worked but it was harder for me than in my jetfins. Also, I didn't like the foot pocket (if you can call it that) and neither did my friend who tried them. The top edge of the pocket dug into our feet uncomfortably. So I'll stick to my jet type fins, but I'll keep the force fins for travel.

meesier42
10-08-2007, 14:37
Force Fins- as already stated, they pack very easily and are extremely easy to pop on and off. The strap isn't even really nessasary, hence the reason a low tension bungie cord can be used to keep them on

Sufarce swimming is a common complaint- however they will work great IF you 1) flip over on your back, which I have found most people even not using FF do, or 2) keep your feet underwater, which can be difficult at first because they rebound quickly and are easy to get out of the water.

The orignal fin is a great fin, although I generally recommend most people use the pro's. You will find they have more speed and less effort than pretty much any fin out there. The exotic fins that Bob makes are impressive BUT they are VERY EXPENSIVE, like $400-$900. Guess what, unless you are a reason to spend the money don't, you will find that the Pro's will meet 90% of your needs.

You will find that most people that complain about the FF have either never tried them or have only tried them once. Force Fins can perform any kicking style out there and can do some that no other fin that I have tried can do (skulling) but they take a while to get used to. I would recommend that you use them exclusively for about 10 dives then start your comparison to other fins. They are by far the best fins that I have used and I think with a valid unbiased testing you will probably find the same thing.

datamunk
10-08-2007, 14:45
id really be intersted in trying them. closest store is a lil drive away, but i guess you can actually try them in their pool? (in ocala)

meesier42
10-08-2007, 14:47
Also, I didn't like the foot pocket (if you can call it that) and neither did my friend who tried them. The top edge of the pocket dug into our feet uncomfortably.

This is a common complaint that Bob had developed 3 new softer foot pockets to correct, the first one is the float tube fin, I believe this is the same blade as the orginal but has the adjustable foot pocket
the other 2 are not yet in production but are being worked on, 1 of them is similar to the 1 piece already on the fins and will mimic the launch pad foot pocket (http://forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Products/launchpad_footpocket.htm), the second is a texile solution that is multipart and has to be hand assembled and therefore adds a large premuim to the fins, right now only found on the SD1 fin (http://forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Products/fab_force_sd1_product.htm) which was discontinued. I will be at DEMA and will talk to Bob about this issue

mm_dm
10-08-2007, 14:51
I have a friend who does photography and uses Force Fins...he loves the way he can manuever in them. I'll stick with my Jets, but then, I didn't have the patience to go the ten dives or so to get used to them.

floater
10-08-2007, 15:05
id really be intersted in trying them. closest store is a lil drive away, but i guess you can actually try them in their pool? (in ocala)

just try them with scuba gear on. when i first did breath-hold laps on them I wasn't impressed. but yesterday with doubles on was a different story.

cummings66
10-08-2007, 17:59
You can skull with jetfins. IMO there is no kick you can do with a forcefin that you can't do with a jetfin.

Yes, I've seen them and used them. My LDS is a big forcefin type shop, I don't see the need myself.

I thought scubaboard was more of a jetfin type board for what it's worth.

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 04:07
Steer clear of the Foil Force - you might as well have two tubs of butter on your feet.

meesier42
09-05-2008, 19:11
Steer clear of the Foil Force - you might as well have two tubs of butter on your feet.

Huh... exact opposite reaction that I had to them. they were definately better the Apollo Bios that replaced them with