PDA

View Full Version : The Snots

tremtech
10-08-2007, 08:03
How many of you experience the end of dive runny nose? I cant seem to get away from it . Every time after a dive as soon as I pop the gasket on my veiw finder I get this runny snotty nose that last for about 5 minutes. Depending on who your diving with it can be a little embarrassing( nothing worse than blowing your nose or spitting in the water as people are swimming with you back to your boat). I tried Affrin 12hr before the dive no difference, sudafed 24 hour about 3 hours before a dive no difference. Any advice?

Charlotte Smith
10-08-2007, 09:07
How many of you experience the end of dive runny nose? I cant seem to get away from it . Every time after a dive as soon as I pop the gasket on my veiw finder I get this runny snotty nose that last for about 5 minutes. Depending on who your diving with it can be a little embarrassing( nothing worse than blowing your nose or spitting in the water as people are swimming with you back to your boat). I tried Affrin 12hr before the dive no difference, sudafed 24 hour about 3 hours before a dive no difference. Any advice?
I have found that if you want to enjoy scuba diving with allergies (LIKE MINE) it just comes with the territory....I take AlegraD(rx)and it still happens to me a little and it is even worse if you're a woman cause who wants to see a woman doing those things??? It''s not very lady-like but I just go to my husband and ask him to make sure I am not going to be embarrassed when I get out of the water( It has to be love) Then I go straight to my dry bag! I know it sounds awful but the saline rinse before and after you get back from diving helps alot also.

YellowfinKunkfish
10-08-2007, 09:09
I take Claritin now, year round, and that seems to help a lot! I have always gotten a runny nose when I swim, esp. in the pool. Don't know why. I've always suspected it might be some sort of allergy to pool chemicals.

datamunk
10-08-2007, 09:16
another useful tip is, on your safety stop, take your mask off and blow out all the gunk! wipe it away, clean ur mask etc etc...that should help get rid of a lot of it from when u rip ur mask off etc

WV Diver
10-08-2007, 09:42
You never mentioned an allegy. If you are having non allergic rhinitus or even allergy related symptoms see you doc. I know some folks that have used nose sprays prior to a dive that have had good success.

No Misses
10-08-2007, 10:22
Due to my mustache, I always have some salt water in my mask. That first dive of the day can really loosen things up. I just use the old "farmers handkerchief" over the side of the boat (close one nostril then blow out the other, repeat as necissary). It's not the most genteel process. But, it works great. My freinds have learned not to give me a hard time about it. Unless they want to be making "Sand Angels" on their next dive:smiley2:

Let's face it, you can't get too hung up on these "natural" things. I don't care if you are a super model. You are still going to pee in your wetsuit from time to time and you will have some snot to deal with. Everybody does.

I can't tell you the number of times that I have made somebody go rinse thier face before telling me about thier dive.:SHOCKED:

Me: Is that a jellyfish stuck to your face?
Diver: No itssnot :smilie39:

Charlotte Smith
10-08-2007, 10:26
Due to my mustache, I always have some salt water in my mask. That first dive of the day can really loosen things up. I just use the old "farmers handkerchief" over the side of the boat (close one nostril then blow out the other, repeat as necissary). It's not the most genteel process. But, it works great. My freinds have learned not to give me a hard time about it. Unless they want to be making "Sand Angels" on their next dive:smiley2:

Let's face it, you can't get too hung up on these "natural" things. I don't care if you are a super model. You are still going to pee in your wetsuit from time to time and you will have some snot to deal with. Everybody does.

I can't tell you the number of times that I have made somebody go rinse thier face before telling me about thier dive.:SHOCKED:

Me: Is that a jellyfish stuck to your face?
Diver: No itssnot :smilie39:

BAhahahahahahahahahah!:smilie39:Good one and way to handle it like a grown-up! Wish more divers out there had your personality!

caroln
10-08-2007, 10:35
It helps a lot to clean out your sinuses pre dive using a saline rinse. A lot of people recommend the neti pot, but anything should do the job. If there's not a lot of crap accumulated in your sinuses predive, there'll be less snot to deal with later. BTW thanks for not blowing snot in the water near where your buddies are swimming. I hate that.

Tableleg
10-08-2007, 10:50
You're not the only person this happens to. This happens to a good friend of mine. He just blows as much of it out before he gets out of water, and deals with the rest of it.

Doghouse
10-08-2007, 15:46
It has happened to me a lot. Then I went to an ENT over my sinus pain. Found out I have a Deviated Septum (Big Time), and no upper sinuses. Come to find out, the track to breath through is so small that I could not clear my nasil passages. The rinsing helps, soften everything up and clear it out, but if that does not improve, check with an ENT to make sure everything up there is in the proper location.

mm2002
10-10-2007, 10:54
I can relate with the deviated septum thing. I had surgery to fix mine around 10 years ago. Best investment I've ever made! I still have sinus problems and allergies, but claritin or sudafed does the trick for me.

rach
10-28-2007, 23:20
man, the best part of the SI is blowing my nose in the water before i get in the boat--totally grosses out the DM, too! :smiley36:

you're definitely not alone.

BuzzGA
11-10-2007, 21:43
I have to admit...as someone with allergies a few minutes of clear sinuses after a dive is a nice thing

frankc420
11-11-2007, 07:59
It helps a lot to clean out your sinuses pre dive using a saline rinse. A lot of people recommend the neti pot, but anything should do the job. If there's not a lot of crap accumulated in your sinuses predive, there'll be less snot to deal with later. BTW thanks for not blowing snot in the water near where your buddies are swimming. I hate that.

Why would it matter? Your swimming in a fish toilet...

Have you ever thought on a low vis day, "What is all this ..crap.. in the water?" Especially on a site that has a lot of fish... :D

CompuDude
11-11-2007, 13:18
It's pretty normal, and happens to most people, actually. It's not difficult to see how filling your sinus cavities with high pressure air and then reducing that pressure to normal (when you surface) is likely to flush out the system.

It's SOP to pop your mask and give a quick blow and wipe upon surfacing, and then replace your mask. A good dive buddy should also always give a buddy who carrying bits of jellyfish a heads up...

Yet another reason to choose a mask with a black skirt, btw.

mitsuguy
11-11-2007, 22:07
as soon as I get in the water, salt or fresh, I always get a thorough nasal cleaning - whether scuba or just swimming... I have no allergies and no stoppages normally...

to me, its just something I deal with (prior to putting a mask on), cause if I don't there will undoubtedly be some in the mask I have to deal with later on...

Navy OnStar
11-12-2007, 00:46
I have pretty bad allergies and used to always seem to have a colony of jelly fish living in my nose. And no matter how hard I tried they reproduced faster than I could blow them out. Now I'm on Claritin and Flonase and the jelly fish are on birth control!

I have had Claritin, Allegra and Zyrtec and any of these coupled with Flonase works wonders.

Also, I didn't have a deviated septum but due to my allergies the turbinates (soft tissue- most everyone have 3 layers) in my nose were swollen all the time. I went to the ENT and they did a turbinate reduction (outpatient proceedure) and with the exception of the needle stick, was apainless proceedure. Now I don't breathe through my mouth at night, I don't snore near as much, and the Jelly fish are down to a small family.

OnStar

TRACI
11-12-2007, 08:24
Saline rinse or a nasel spray before diving has help me alot.

wgt
11-12-2007, 08:41

As suggested above, most divers experience some form of nasal discharge after a dive (insert technical term from No Misses here). The customary approaches involve decongestants or antihistamines (again specified above) or behavioral adjustments designed to limit the discomfort of fellow divers (e.g., discreetly unclogging in the water). Another thing to try is an inspection of your mask. Just like the walls of your shower, the mask can eventually support its own ecosystem, and mildew is not an unusual house-guest. It's rarely a cure, but I do find it helpful to clean my mask with a mildew-killing agent. Be sure to rinse the mask very well afterwords, though, to prevent avoidable irritation of the eyes. It's hard to say in an individual case with this is an issue, but I do notice more problems when I have been ignoring the state of my mask.