PDA

View Full Version : Manatee report

tremtech
10-08-2007, 08:12
Well Sunday 10/7 was a bust for Manatees in the Crystal River for us, We found one herd (about 6) at this little inlet but as soon as we got wet they moved off . I watched the three major dive operators tooling around the river and they too were having trouble locating them. Probably over the next few weeks as the air temp drops a few degrees they might start their inland migration.

Osprey
10-08-2007, 08:27
I definitely need to swing by sometime! Awesome!

ScaredSilly
10-08-2007, 20:29
Isn't it a but early. Mid winter seems like at better time. We took a dip with them in Feb.

WV Diver
10-08-2007, 20:37
I have done this trip with great success. Sorry you did not have the same luck. Crystal River should be full of Manatees.

pnevai
10-08-2007, 21:51
OY and your from Florida? The ocean water temps are still in the low to mid 80's try again in 2 to 3 months.

Chocoholic
10-08-2007, 23:09
Can you dive very close to them? That would be so cool to see them.

pnevai
10-08-2007, 23:20
Florida has very strict laws when it comes to Manatees. Any action that can be judged as being disruptive or interfearing can land you a big fine and even jail time.

You can snorkle and dive in Manatee waters, but you must let the animal come to you, you can not chase after, swim along side or corner the animal in any way.

Below are the rules.

Do not enter designated/posted sanctuaries for any reason.
Operate boat at idle/no wake speed when in areas known to have manatees present or when observations indicate manatees might be present.
Note: Observations which indicate manatees might be present in the area include: observing a swirl at the surface of the water, observing the back sticking out of the water and/or observing the snout of an animal or hearing the animal exhale when it surfaces.
Avoid harassing manatees. Harassment is defined as any activity which alters the animal’s natural behavioral characteristics. Examples of harassment include the following:
approaching a manatee before the animal first approaches you.
actively pursuing/chasing (swimming after) or cornering a manatee while swimming or diving.
poking, probing, stabbing a manatee at any time with any object. This includes but is not limited to a person's hand and/or feet.
any activity which would separate a cow from her calf or an individual from a group.
any attempt to snag, hook, hold, grab, pinch or ride a manatee.
any attempt to feed a manatee.
touching or disturbing a resting manatee.
King Spring (Main Spring) and swim corridor are closed to all activity from 7:00pm – 7:00am

johnod
10-23-2007, 08:18
How strict are the laws enforced? I mean is the game patrol in and on the water just waiting to nail someone? I'll be in crystal river in a few weeks and am really looking forward to seeing some sea cows.

Disneymom
10-23-2007, 09:14
hey, tremtech. Wednesday a.m. was almost a bust for us. We found a small pod in some HORRIBLE water right outside the mouth of a little inlet over near Bird's. There were none around Three Sisters (BEAUTIFUL, by the way) Later in the morning we found mama and calf in that inlet again near bird's - a little better water, but it was really getting stirred up.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd93/welch1962/manatee.jpg
Mama

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd93/welch1962/manateeclose.jpg
Baby - we swam right up in my face - I couldn't focus fast enough. He was a camera ham.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd93/welch1962/erinmanatee.jpg
Our daughter and baby. He was loving it!

By the way, loved little Crystal River. We went out with Birds, and Chris did a great job. I just fell in love with Three Sisters - and wish we'd had more time there in the springs. It was so pretty! Crackers was pretty good! Dinner outside - on the water. Made for a relaxing evening!

divnhank
10-24-2007, 16:29
Look in the trips section and join the Scubadillo Dive Club - we will be there Jan 31st.