PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing Training incidents.

Doghouse
10-08-2007, 08:37
Everyone gets embarassed, share an incident in your dives that was embarassing at the time.

An uncomfortable issue came up during my OW class. I now understand that is was entierly my issue, and now I get a chuckle out of it. That being said, I felt it might be a good thing to discuss for those getting into diving.

The setup:

1. Pool dive doing air-share drills
2. 1 Male Student
3. 1 Attractive Female assistant - instructor.
4. and to top it off add a Puritanical Upbringing! :)

So to the bottom the class goes, and we get paired up by the instructor to run the air-share drills. So the assistant instructor signals OOA. No problem, Pop the octo, flip and pass, now grab the bc... Uh where? Umm... Now that could be a problem so I go for the shoulder grab.

Well this was discussed for a few rounds, and the understanding was that bumping is not a problem, but if you try to tune in Tokyo prepare to drown! The important thing is that you get the OOA person some air and give them assurance you are not going anywhere without them.

BobArnold8265
10-08-2007, 08:56
The first time I got into the pool, I didn't have enough weight on. In addition to being underweighted, my fins are slightly bouyant. So as the rest of the class was sitting on the bottom of the pool, I was floating upside down ! My wife could hardly keep her reg in she was laughing so hard !!

datamunk
10-08-2007, 09:22
i personally off hand cant think of an embarassing situation that ive had, but i wish i could.. they are always a good laugh looking back on :)

what did you mean by:

but if you try to tune in Tokyo prepare to drown!

and bobarnold, i would LOVE to have been helping a class with an upside down student haha

MSilvia
10-08-2007, 09:38
Having always rented equipment previously, I showed up to the checkout dives for my rescue class without a BC, thinking the LDS would provide required gear. Fortunately, the instructor had a spare I could use!

ian
10-08-2007, 10:11
During one of the pool sessions for my Rescue Class, we were doing the lap carry up the ladder.

I am a nearly 50, large guy (6'2" - 250#). Partner = 20 something, tiny female - very cute - younger than my oldest.

Nicole is sat astride my lap, facing me with arms over my shoulders. I'm hauling us both up the ladder. I get us almost to the top when both my calfs cramp up. I'm gritting my teeth and groaning low. Nicole pops off my shoulder with an incredulcous look on her face. I drop us both back in the water.

Instructor Randy is laughing so hard I'm beginning to think he's going to drown. Come to think of it - I have a feeling I got set up!

Talk about embarrased!

Nicole, I'm not a pervert! I really did have leg cramps!

No Misses
10-08-2007, 10:27
ian, admit it. You can have leg cramps and still be a pervert ;-)

cummings66
10-08-2007, 18:24
I've never had any, but I've seen a few of them.

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 18:45
My only really embarassing experiences I can remember are the silly questions I know that I asked while in OW. Now I know it's normal, but I pride myself on knowing quite about my hobbies....and I must have seemed like a doofus!

Danny

ScaredSilly
10-08-2007, 18:47
I heard of someone peeing in their dry suit during their training. Forgot what they were wearing.

pnevai
10-08-2007, 18:58
The first time I got into the pool, I didn't have enough weight on. In addition to being underweighted, my fins are slightly bouyant. So as the rest of the class was sitting on the bottom of the pool, I was floating upside down ! My wife could hardly keep her reg in she was laughing so hard !!
:smilie39::smilie39:

I can so vivdly picture this.

Anyway my embarassing moment came not learning but instructing. Fortunately not infront of any students. It is a wonder that many of our students think we are diving gods. Anyway more on that thought later.

Can it be embarassing if no one to witness? Kind of like the tree falling in the woods thing.

It all goes back to what the definition of sound is and is it a sound if it is not heard................................. I forgot what I was going to say. What was the topic again?

ian
10-08-2007, 20:47
ian, admit it. You can have leg cramps and still be a pervert ;-)

Ah...LEG CRAMPS! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Besides, she is younger than my step-daughter for gosh sakes!

emcbride81
10-09-2007, 09:50
I was hungover for the last two OW dives...trying to put my BC on at the surface like you are mounting a horse...well, my coordination was waaaay off. I flopped around for 10 minutes. I would get on, then splash, climb back on, splash...

Tableleg
10-11-2007, 13:50
Besides, she is younger than my step-daughter for gosh sakes! And that made her any less attractive, or you any less male how? :smiley15::smiley36: I'm sure it was rather funny... :smiley20:

I don't have any notable embarassing things yet. Just he occational 1st stage on backwards, forgot to turn my air on, those kinds of things.

BobbyWombat
10-11-2007, 16:46
what did you mean by:

but if you try to tune in Tokyo prepare to drown!

"tune in Tokyo" is similar in execution to a "purple nurple" or the much more vulgar sounding "titty twister".

If you are unfamiliar with these, I must ask: did you have a childhood or just skip that part?:smiley36:

----
My first pool session, there was some weird alkalyne reaction in the water to some recent rain. It was zero-vis and cloudy like milk (no kidding).

Impossible to teach in the pool since we couldn't see anything. They shouldn't have let us swim around in there, on reflection, but they did.

One girl was horrendously overweighted, and dropped straight to the bottom and laid there face down, and couldn't figure out what to do to get up again. We're all swimming around crashing into each other, and she is down there for a few minutes (no one the wiser) before she remembers to inflate her BC.

Could have been a bad situation, but it turned out OK. A weird first pool session. My buddy who is an avid diver was like "coooool. Zero vis is awesome, bro.". (He's a bit odd).

-BW

subsur
10-11-2007, 16:57
i went for a seal dive with a group of people i barely knew. i knew that i get seasick sometimes but i did not realize that it's pretty severe. i don't take enough small boat rides to realize it. now i know. in any case, by the time we got to the seal site i was not feeling too well. once we started to dress i felt increasingly worse and right before i was to jump in the water, i started throwing up... a lot. it all went to the water but at that point i did not care i just wanted to feel better. to make a long story short, i was the most popular fellow among seals probably due to some breakfast coming from my regulator. i got to know a few seals in quite close encounters. the captain said afterwards that he'll suggest that trick on his future seal dives.

Penguino
04-03-2008, 00:14
My wife, as she was doing her first full mask clear, forgot to hold it to her forehead as she blew out her nose. When she remembered, she overcompensated and hit her mask so hard it jerked her neck back and left a mark about an inch long across her forehead that lasted for 2 days. Hilarious. (Yes I have her permission to share this)

EuphoriaII
04-04-2008, 09:14
I didn't secure my yoke valve firmly enough and air started spewing out of the valve at the surface while the instructor was talking. I thought it blew the o ring but I just didn't tighten enough.

reactive
04-04-2008, 12:02
My girlfriend was doing her rescue certification at the same time as me doing my OW cert. The instructor asked me to be the "dead guy" for her rescue drills. The dive instructor caught me "copping a feel" during one of the drills and embarressed the heck out of my girlfriend and gave the dive instructor a huge belly laugh.

divergirl
04-04-2008, 13:14
hhaha these are great... fortunately I haven't had any embarrasing moments.. but I do have my rescue course coming up so maybe I"ll have something to share :P

CamaroChick
04-04-2008, 13:28
I was gearing up to do my OW cert dives at a local quarry. The water was very cold so we had to wear full 7mm suits. These were rental suits, so just standard neoprene, no hyperstrech or anything nice like that. Well I got my legs in, sort of, and tried to pull the thing on. Several minutes went by with me struggling and not making any progress. So I ask my hubby for help. He proceeds to pick me up by the wetsuit, my feet dangling in mid-air, and tries to "shake" me into the suit. Looked kind like when you try to get a pillow into a pillow case using the shake method!

And the embarrasment continued... when we got down to the skills platform, I was shivering violently and was shaking the platform and everyone on it - instructors, students, algae. Oh, and I lost my snorkel on every dive - my snorkel clip was crappy, and the snorkel kept falling of, and of course, dropping to the very bottom of the quarry.

I was one hot mess!

plot
04-06-2008, 20:57
My good buddy, a dive instructor, was teaching an AOW class... his students had already jumped in, and I was just being nice and helping everyone in before I went off on my own dive so I wasn't geared up or anything... was just pretending like I was a DM pushing students into the water.

As they go in I'm doing the check through, mask, fins, weights, air, etc. tell them to take some breaths off of their regs to make sure the air is on (good techniques and the like), and then have them go off in.

Pretty soon the instructor jumps in with half of his gear on, then looks up at me and told me he should've put more of this stuff on while still on the boat.

I proceded to tell him something along the lines of "Ok, next time you need to put your fins on first, put your mask on, you need to have your regulator in your mouth, and you forgot your weight belt." I think he was slightly embarassed when he realized how extremely wrong he did the whole procedure. At least his BC was inflated.

(He's also one of the best instructors I know... just a little complacent jumping into 15 feet of nice calm water next to the shore I guess)

RikRaeder
04-06-2008, 21:13
After my open water check out dives, we returned to the shop for lunch, then off for a fun dive to celebrate. I left my wetsuit at the shop. Ooops.
Our first check out dive was great. Entering mild surf, my snorkel came loose, so my girlfriend let go of the entry rope and made a grab for it. She came loose. Thinking "always stay with your buddy," I let myself loose and the instructor had to shove me back and go out to retrieve her. Lesson learned! Stay with your buddy until they get into trouble ;)

reactive
04-07-2008, 02:13
After my open water check out dives, we returned to the shop for lunch, then off for a fun dive to celebrate. I left my wetsuit at the shop. Ooops.
Our first check out dive was great. Entering mild surf, my snorkel came loose, so my girlfriend let go of the entry rope and made a grab for it. She came loose. Thinking "always stay with your buddy," I let myself loose and the instructor had to shove me back and go out to retrieve her. Lesson learned! Stay with your buddy until they get into trouble ;)

Right or wrong, I think I would have done the same thing.