PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a backup to your computer?

danielh03
10-08-2007, 13:09
How many divers carry an analog depth gauge when they are diving computers?

WV Diver
10-08-2007, 13:46
I do, as it is part of the console that houses my compass and pressure gauge and I had it before I had the computer.

If you mean why carry both, well why not. It's a good backup to have.

Would I carry both if I hadn't already had the gauge first. Probably. I mean if the computer goes, gets broken or lost or stolen you can always dive tables.

floater
10-08-2007, 13:47
I carry a Timex Helix dive watch as backup. It has basic bottom timer functions. However, it's just a matter of time before it dies (they aren't very rugged) so I plan to buy a bottom timer or cheap air computer with gauge mode for backup.

Don't know how popular analog depth gauges are though.

BobArnold8265
10-08-2007, 13:49
I carry a back-up computer with me when I travel but don't dive with it. My dive buddy is my wife so her computer is actually my underwater back-up.

Chad
10-08-2007, 13:53
I dive with a brass and glass plain spg and my wireless computer. I work with computers for a living and consequently I do not trust them. ;-)

mm_dm
10-08-2007, 14:39
Computer, bottom timer & SPG. Geez, you'd think I don't trust things that run on batteries...

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 14:40
No back up on my AI console. If it fails, the dive is over. I'm considering a switch to an Oceanic Geo and a brass/glass SPG.

Danny

TxHockeyGuy
10-08-2007, 15:23
I dive a wireless air integrated, a backup non air-integrated computer, and an SPG. I've never had the air pressure portion of my air integrated fail but I have had it inexplicably change from 32% back to air and I have had the backlight not want to work on a night dive. Just because I haven't had a more serious failure doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.

Capt Hook
10-08-2007, 15:48
Carry a full console beside my computer.

cummings66
10-08-2007, 17:30
The only time I've ever carried an analog depth gage was when doing my OW training. I've never had one since and never needed it. To be honest I can guesstimate the depth fairly accurate on ascent if I lost it at depth. Close enough anyhow that I could do my safety stop just fine.

CaptainRon
10-08-2007, 17:34
Since my dive partner always has a complete set of gear, we always have a backup to go to if one or the other goes out during a dive. Of course I have never had any problems with my old analog gauges, but since I am getting ready to upgrade to a computer, I will probably just through my old depth guage in my bag just incase it's needed.

medic001918
10-08-2007, 17:36
I use a non-AI wrist computer and a standard SPG. If my computer fails the dive is over. I can estimate where my safety stop needs to be, and more often than not I make a few stops along the way for added safety. If I were doing deco diving, I'd have a computer and a backup bottom timer. That way I can always keep track of where I am in my deco process. I'm not that far along though yet, so the single computer and SPG work well for me.

Shane

comet24
10-08-2007, 17:36
I just upgrade my computer from my older Genesis React to a Oceanic Pro Plus II and will be taking both on a trip to the Bahamas later this month. Likely will not dive with both. But having a backup will be nice. Although I never had one in the past and never had a problem.

ohiofireman
10-08-2007, 17:48
I just bought a Citizen Men's Aqualand Watch and dove with it yesterday and loved it. My new gear is on itís way with a new computer but the watch worked out great. Very easy to read and is my computer does fail this watch should be a good backup. Did I mention it looks kool..lol

Splitlip
10-08-2007, 18:04
I wear a Citizen's Aqualand watch. It has bottom timer and depth gauge functions. Use a brass and glass SPG.

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 19:02
I would like to change my response....I guess technically I back up my computer with a cheapo-Sports Authority watch I dive with to keep track of time. I can plan out my deep and safety stops, etc.

Danny

CompuDude
10-08-2007, 19:04
Backup watch with depth function, plus analog SPG to backup my computer's wireless AI.

Two is one and one is none...

ScaredSilly
10-08-2007, 19:18
Back up depth and timer for deco dives. I have a SPG as well as a transmitter. I do not consider it a back up. I just have it - as the transmitter is doa once I do a valve drill.

Otherwise I run naked and if something goes tits up I abort the dive.

Scoobidoo
10-08-2007, 19:24
I use a SPG as backup to my AI computer!

danielh03
10-09-2007, 00:23
Back up depth and timer for deco dives. I have a SPG as well as a transmitter. I do not consider it a back up. I just have it - as the transmitter is doa once I do a valve drill.

Otherwise I run naked and if something goes tits up I abort the dive.

Ummm, bad mental image!!!! but thanks for all the input. I am trying to save a bit of money on my gear, but then again, I want to be safe and have good gear.

Netsloth
10-09-2007, 06:46
I wear a Citizen's Aqualand watch. It has bottom timer and depth gauge functions. Use a brass and glass SPG.

Ditto. Citizen Aqualand Promaster with depth and timer, XS Scuba brass and glass SPG.

danielh03
10-13-2007, 15:08
thanks for all the great input guys/gals. And now I can justify to my wife the cost for a computer lol~

Charles R
10-13-2007, 15:13
I wear a Timex Helix as a back up depth gadge. in case my computer goes belly up

kyfriedchipper
10-14-2007, 10:58
I have a Casio Sea Pathfinder - can be bought new on eBay for $150 or so I think (maybe less) - it has a digital depth gauge, functions as a bottom timer, logs dives (Max depth and total dive time - similar to tables) - also is solar and has a compass and barometer. The compass does work underwater - I have used it - although it reads for only 5 seconds or so - then locks, then you have to punch another button and it will again read and give you an accurate reading. I used it shorediving several times to keep my position to the dive hut and it worked perfectly...

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 11:04
I still am in the dark ages. I plan on carrying an SPG as backup while diving as well as wearing my watch with depth guage. May be overkill but with a watch taking up so little room, why not. Would take a catastropic event for all 3 to quit on an dive and if one were to quit I'd still have 1 plus a backup for any consecutive dives.

scubamike
10-14-2007, 11:22
I just bought a Timex Helix Depth from Ebay. It cost me $27 bucks. Haven't tried it yet but it has depth meter and timer.

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 11:31
I recently purchased mine off ebay as well. Made two dives with it and the deth guage was right on with my SPG. You will probably be replacing the battery soon. They were made back in 2000 I think and the batteries are getting old. After 2 dives on mine the low battery indicator came on. When you need to replace the battery it can be just a little tricky. You can contact me or search Scuba board. There are some helpful posts that aided in figuring out the battery locking mechanism. I can post pics if you need.

js1scuba
10-14-2007, 12:14
For no-stop dives 100fsw and shallower with single tank I only carry one SPG and one dive computer. (Suunto Vytec or Cochran EMC20H ) If the computer fails ..... i come up. For all other dives I wear two Cochran EMC20H multi mix computers

The probability of a high quality, well maintained computer failing is slim to none.

If the computers fail and there is no anchor line I will shoot a SMB and my line is marked every 20 feet, so knowing depth is pretty simple.

Cheers

JDS

abcitydiver
10-14-2007, 12:24
Swatch fun scuba, with timer and depth gauge: $90
spg
AI wrist computer

dludwig
10-14-2007, 12:38
Have a Aeris Atomos ELITE but still carry gauge console because will occasionally loose the signal from the transmitter on my 1st stage. I have a Citizen Agualand watch that I usually have on my wrist too. Talk about overkill :smiley5:

Chocoholic
10-14-2007, 14:17
I wear a cheapo Walmart $7 watch for time, a Vyper wrist mount computer and SPG console.

BobbyWombat
10-14-2007, 14:18
I have an Oceanic VEO250, but always dive with an analog pressure gauge and depth gauge. Also have a cheapy dive watch with time.

Hopefully this would make it so a whole day of diving wouldn't be ruined if my battery went on the fritz. Switch to dive tables, and off you go.