PDA

View Full Version : looking for a budget reg for my fiancee

Texas_Aggie06
10-08-2007, 14:50
we are both got certified this summer and went to Playa. it was amazing. we've finally found something we both can enjoy together. we don't have our own stuff, though. money is definitely an issue. we will be doing no diving beyond recreational depths nor any cold water diving. i have no problem purchasing a low end model now, and upgrading a two years down the road. so, what do you guys think?

medic001918
10-08-2007, 15:23
Check out the V16 Proton from Mares. We got a good deal on it from Todd at ST when we bought my wife's. It breathes well, and to date has been reliable for her. She's totally pleased with it. When we ordered her set up, we got her the V16 Proton, Proton Octo, Tusa SPG and a Aeris XR-2 Computer with long hoses on the reg for about $600 or so. Without the computer, I think the SPG, octo and reg came in around $300. Not bad for a quality product. I'm happy with Mares. I dive an MR22 Abyss and I've never had any issues with it. But to be honest, I think we might try some Apeks when we get our doubles set ups over the winter.

Shane

creggur
10-08-2007, 15:24
Lot's of folks here (including Larry) have said good things about the Tusa RS-130...
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=2376

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TusaRS-130

Looks like a lot of features for the price....

Texas_Aggie06
10-08-2007, 15:33
wow that is a great deal if it is as good as they say

creggur
10-08-2007, 15:55
Yep $180.00 before any forum discounts or GC's it does seem to be quite a deal. The only experience I have with Tusa is my Zoom fins, but I love them and they are definately a quality piece.....

I don't think you will be going wrong with this reg.....

Texas_Aggie06
10-08-2007, 16:01
i have tusa fins, mask, and snorkel. it wasn't by design either. :smiley36: i went through every mask on the wall never looking at price and it just happen to fit my face far better than anything else.

Foo2
10-08-2007, 16:22
I also wanted to throw in the Mares R2 Rebel package (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=R2RebelPackage) at ST. Here is an older thread (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3267&highlight=mares+rebel) that tells you a little about it. I actually have the R2 package and I think it's great. My console is small and compact but still easy to read. All in all it's a great setup....and you can't beat that price!

Texas_Aggie06
10-08-2007, 16:48
interesting. the packages look like really good deals. all the guys at the lds talk about how you can keep your reg forever, etc etc. but, like anything if you really get it into it you will own more than one piece of equipment.

medic001918
10-08-2007, 17:32
As you continue to get into diving, you will aquire more gear to meet your demands. I started with a jacket BC, and went to a bp/w. Started with regular hoses on my regs and went to long hoses. Split fins and switched to jet's. Gotten a few different wetsuits for different reasons, and a dry suit. Gone through a few lights. Started with a back up and a pistol primary, now dive a backup and a canister light. It all depends on what kind of diving you see yourself doing and how into it you get. For my wife and I, our next step is doubles and dedicated rigs for them. This means we'll get two more BP/W set ups, two sets of doubles, four more regs, etc. But it's something we do together so it's worth it to us. Keep your eyes open and good deals can be had. Call the guy's at ST and tell them your budget, the type of diving you do and your goals and they can recommend things for you. They carry even more than what's listed on the website.

Shane

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 18:39
I have the MR12 Rebel, which is the R2 deal on ST, with a different first stage (balanced piston, means same breathing effort at all depths). Check out both options, they're both great regs.

chace_nicole
10-08-2007, 21:12
When I was in ST this weekend..I looked at the Tusa 130. I believe it was Joe that helped me but he said his wife dives the 130 & that she could dive any priced reg but picked that one. Plus all the other good reviews, that why I plan to buy it :smiley20:

datamunk
10-08-2007, 22:01
the titan lx isnt a bad regulator for the price... make sure its the LX and not the base titan or youll hate me... still i recommend an apeks atx100 but, thats not a budget reg :)

Texas_Aggie06
10-08-2007, 22:16
the titan lx isnt a bad regulator for the price... make sure its the LX and not the base titan or youll hate me... still i recommend an apeks atx100 but, thats not a budget reg :)

i wish scubatoys carried apeks for myself of course.:smiley2:

SHAGGY
10-08-2007, 22:35
I recently purchased a combo that I had ST put together for my 17 year old son. It consisted of a Tusa RS-130 reg, a Riptide Zone BCD with a Tusa IR-3 inflator/octo, and Aeris analog 2 gauge console. I got it all shipped to my door for around $600. I have to say that its a great combo. I'm especially impressed with the BCD and Reg. I dive with an Atomic ST-1, and UWATEC Smart Com computer and a Seaquest Pro BCD since my work provides all of my gear, but I feel that the RS-130 is such a good reg that it would be pretty difficult for most divers to tell any difference between the RS-130 and the ST-1, and to tell ya just how much I like the Riptide Zone I now use it at work as much as I do my Seaquest Pro BCD. I have tried a few different regs and I think that it would be very difficult to find a better breathing adjustable reg than the TUSA RS-130. You will read lots of good reviews on this site from people who love it and also love the Riptide Zone BCD.

keyshunter
10-09-2007, 05:58
I have the MR12 Rebel, which is the R2 deal on ST, with a different first stage (balanced piston, means same breathing effort at all depths). Check out both options, they're both great regs.
The R2 is an unbalanced piston first stage. The MR12, which has been around for many, many years is an excellent breathing, balanced diaphragm first stage. And, now that they have supposedly finally solved their high pressure seat problem, is a very good buy. The op may find that he has no need to upgrade this reg.

keyshunter
10-09-2007, 06:30

The Titan first stage is simply a slightly tweaked Conshelf. They take the same parts kits. The Conshelf has been around for more than 25 years, and is an excellent breathing first. The Titan LX second is a balanced second which, other than the cover, is IDENTICAL to the Legend second. The regular Titan second is a simple downstream. However, I doubt that most divers could tell much (if any) difference in breathing between an LX and a PROPERLY SET UP regular Titan at 130 feet. I have both, and my G/F dives the regular. When we switch at 120 to 130, I cannot tell much difference. Where regular Titans get a bad rep is that, since they are so rugged and trouble free, many are used as rental regs. Even well maintained rental regs are usually set up a little "tight", to keep freeflow complaints to a minimum.

The Apeks regs are also excellent, as are the regs of several other major brands.

Texas_Aggie06
10-09-2007, 09:00
thanks for all of the replies. it's nice to not get berated about wanting a reg that costs less than $400. that's one of the very few problems with scubaboard sometimes. most everybody over there seems to be using top of the line and only recommend those.

keyshunter
10-09-2007, 09:54
thanks for all of the replies. it's nice to not get berated about wanting a reg that costs less than $400. that's one of the very few problems with scubaboard sometimes. most everybody over there seems to be using top of the line and only recommend those.

Although it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference, I think you will find that the divers on Scubaboard who have actual (as opposed to cyber) experience are much more sensible in their recommendations.