PDA

View Full Version : Go Dive The Mob House at Tenkiller.

mpd525
10-08-2007, 15:37
Well, thanks to the advice of the guy who owns the LDS i use, me and a buddy went to The Mob house dive site today, during the thunderstorm, and gave it a try. It is without a doubt, my new favorite dive site at tenkiller. It's depths run from about 32 to about 48 feet. It's still got most of the original walls from the house, and a bunch of the retaining walls from a fence still up. TONS OF FISH!!!! The visibility was about 5ft on the 1st dive, because of the overcast conditions, but when the sun poked thourgh a bit it got up to about 8 to 12 ft. Wish i would have dove it last weekend when the viz at the lake was about 20 ft, oh well. 1 trick to getting to it though, gotta have a boat. It has a mooring bouy set so all you have to do is pull up and attach the rope that he's already got there to you boat, gear up, and hop in. (mmm, maybe i should run charters?) If anybody wants any more info PM me, and i'll tell you what i know, and if that's not enough, you can call Tim at Nautical Adventures.

There's also about 3 more sites that he is gonna set bouy's on this winter(and i think i get to help, woo hoo). And i've got locations for couple more, but i don't know alot about them.

Lincoln

fire diver
10-08-2007, 21:44
Sounds like a great site! It's on my "to do" list of Tenkiller dives. I'm starting to get burned out on the park.

Sorry I never called about meeting last weekend. I got so busy, then when we got down there I never could get cell coverage. Oh well, there's always next time.

Hey, does this pic look familiar? I would have had alot of awesome shots, but I completely forgot I have to "adjust" the centering of my camera for closeup shots.

PS- what are the other sites he's going to bouy?

FD

mpd525
10-09-2007, 16:00
No problem, we had a crazy weekend also, the only plus side was got in a few dives, and the misses can actually control her bouyancy now.

He didn't say which other sites he's got to talk to the corp, and see what sites they'll let him bouy. I've got a map of the lake now with a bunch of sites marked on it, and there's 2 more that you can get to by land, but the rest are all gonna be by boat.

That's a great pic of the plane. What camera are you using? It was a decent weekend for diving, there was about 15ft of viz at the park sunday. Last weekend was the best i've ever seen it, early in the morning we had about 25-30ft of viz, but it got worse the deeper we went.

mpd525
10-09-2007, 16:01
He's also gonna start work on a dive map of the lake this winter, with diagrams of the site POI's, and side scan sonar images of the site, and GPS coordinates.

fire diver
10-09-2007, 16:13
That's a great pic of the plane. What camera are you using? It was a decent weekend for diving, there was about 15ft of viz at the park sunday. Last weekend was the best i've ever seen it, early in the morning we had about 25-30ft of viz, but it got worse the deeper we went.

It's from my Sea&Sea MotorMarine2. I had to hold the strobe up, and in front to get the shot. The ones where the strobe was attached gave too much backscatter. Some of my shots got ruined by the fish. When I got the film developed, I'd have a great shot, with a big black tailfin covering half the shot, or blocking the strobe.

Vis was much better this time. I estimated 15-20 feet in the park. What's up with the thermocline? I think must be down at least 60 feet. I went to 59, and never had a degree of temp change. But the vis in the lower 50's got really bad, really quick. I bet the lake is getting ready to turn this month. Still odd. I've NEVER been that deep in TK without a thermocline.

FD

fire diver
10-09-2007, 16:19
He's also gonna start work on a dive map of the lake this winter, with diagrams of the site POI's, and side scan sonar images of the site, and GPS coordinates.

We need to compare maps! I don't think I have any other shore dives marked on mine. I have both lower islands, skunk island, the schoolhouse (which I haven't dove yet), Turkey bluffs (another to-do dive), and the mobhouse. I've heard there's a stone jailhouse still standing, but that could be a diver's tale (kinda like paradise city in Tablerock lake).

Did you get the waterproof topo map?

Has he said anything more about sinking the helicopter?

FD

mpd525
10-09-2007, 21:12
The helicopter is this winter sometime after he gets back from cortez, and yeah i've got the TOPO map. As far as the jailhouse, people call the mob house that sometimes, because unless you know the story you could think it was a old jailhouse. I've got probably 3 more dives from shore marked, and the rest are boat dives.

That's what i thought this weekend, we went to 49 and never hit a thermo either. But it seemed like the viz was crap past about 40 ft.