PDA

View Full Version : Slow time certification deals?

Cichlid
07-16-2007, 19:03
Is there a slow time in diving? Would I find a better deal for getting
certified at a different time of year, like in the winter? I might wait
to get certified so my brother-in-law can do it at the same time.
This might be in another 4-6 months.

Vercingetorix
07-16-2007, 21:37
Winter is definately a slow time. HOWEVER, I certified in January at Clear Springs. The water temp was mid-40's. Air temp was mid-30's. A good time was NOT had by all. Thanks to Mac MacPherson and Kerry Thomas, they mentored us through the OW dives, kept our spirits up, and brought us through.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>To get a feeling for this, fill a buck full of cold water, dump in a bag of ice, wait for 10 minutes, insert face. Now, do full mask flood and replace. repeat.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Cichlid
07-16-2007, 21:45
Yeah, but did you get a deal?smileys/smiley17.gif

ScubaToys Larry
07-16-2007, 21:52
You may find some stores do it different, but in our situation, the classes thin out, and we do a class every other - or every third week in the winter months. We don't change the pricing, we don't find $25 or $50 one way or the other is enough to get someone to take a class if they normally wouldn't - and as pointed out earlier.... hitting the lakes in January is not that much fun for new divers!

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:35
I'd say the prices I've seen in the midwest don't vary based on slow or fast, just the amount offered as Larry said.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Slow time sometimes means you get a better class if there's fewer students in it.</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 22:52
winter is alot cheaper to get cert question is do you want to dive in 50 degree or lower water ?

cummings66
07-17-2007, 00:00
Yes, you'll find the absolute best diving in the Midwest is in the dead of Winter. Visibility is astounding compared to summer, but the fish are fewer.
<DIV>Just don't slip on the ice, I've nearly fallen doing that and the heavy gear does not help you a bit.</DIV>

georoc01
07-17-2007, 08:55
Around here people go to the Homestead Crater for their certifications. 92 degrees at the surface, 96 degrees at the platform. I did my certification in February.
<DIV>There are fewer open water classes, but I haven't seen any price differences. Like Larry said, I don't think it would make a difference. What seems to is the number of people going on tropical vacations, which is why people are getting certified.</DIV>

Michael
07-17-2007, 13:59
Personally, I was certified in early February. The price was the same from my lds, but for me the benefit was having a class with like 3 people in it. When my girlfriend got certified in late April, it was like 13 people in her class. Can't imaging that many people crammed into that small pool.

As far as temps, round these parts (Austin) certification dives are done in Aquarena, which has 70 degree water year round. And I believe many other shops from around the state go there as well for the temps.

jacewindu
07-17-2007, 16:20
i took mine during the midwest winter (temps below 0, snow measured in feet) and it's the same price as it is now, when it's scorching hot outside.

przeor
07-18-2007, 02:50
Not much in the way of discounts in AZ- the classes usually just slow down here too. Occasionally you'll see a 2 for 1 deal, but it's really rare. Try Southwestscuba.com They'll be bouncing around for a while, but if they run classes in December, you might get a good deal from them!

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 07:13
Thanks, I just hope I don't end up waiting that long.

przeor
07-18-2007, 07:34
Might take you that long to find an instructor to teach someone with pink biofins!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

medic001918
07-18-2007, 11:42
Around here the prices don't change. Many shops will do the class and pool work in the winter, and then complete the open water dives when the temperature's are warm enough. It's not a bad system, but the time off can make for the need to review some skills and book work before the final dives.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>