PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed by fellow photographers

BobArnold8265
10-08-2007, 21:51
I hate to preach but I have to say something to my fellow photographers. Please pay attention to what you are doing, your bouyancy control and your fin location. I am often embarrassed by the actions of other photographers I see in the water who often harass sea life, kick and destroy coral and generally show no regards to anything except for the picture they wish to capture. No picture of a seahorse or frogfish etc. is worth destroying coral that will take decades to come back. And what good is that turtle picture if you chase the turtle away so that no one else can enjoy seeing it ??? Finally, if you are diving with a group, having a camera does not give you the right to dart in front of other divers and block their view or to chase those rare critters out of the area before anyone else gets to see them !!

Please be courteous to your fellow divers and pay attention to what you are doing and the impact you are having on the environment around you !!!!

WV Diver
10-09-2007, 06:34
I see this alot and in some of the most delicate and beautiful settings. It is a shame. I see it alot among bug hunters too, some of them are shameless in their pursuit and are really hard on the coral.

RonFrank
10-10-2007, 09:31
I would suggest you point this out to the folks acting this way vs. posting on a forum.

Many people are completely unaware that they suck! :smiley2: So talk to the people doing the damage. This maybe akward, but that is the only way to have a chance at fixing this, and some will appreciate the advice. Others may Punch you in the nose! :smilie39:

datamunk
10-10-2007, 10:01
i agree... i hate watching people hunt for bugs or scare stuff away... i try to confront them about it, even if i feel like a jerk... but normally in my situation they are students or new divers, so they heed my advice with respect etc

Aussie
10-11-2007, 07:10
My pet hate is people with pointers (ie long stainless steel rods) and use them to make things move for better shots. These people are normally experienced and should know better.

I think paying attention and having some courtesy to others applies to all divers and not just people with a camera in their hands.

Aussie

deepdiver47
10-11-2007, 07:30
Aussie, you must be talking about a muck stick. I have one and I use it primarily as a tank banger.

Soonerwink
10-11-2007, 20:29
This sounds like a thread that came from SB, I hope this forum doesn't become as negative as Scuba Board has become. That is one of the reasons I no longer linger over there.

datamunk
10-11-2007, 21:17
i dont want to be negative but i know how SB was. however, this thread has nothing in common with SB. no one is bashing anyone or acting like a jerk. there is a line between doing so and being honest.

its a shame that to day everything has to be so P.C. and sensitive to everyones emotions

bversteegh
10-14-2007, 23:19
All divers have a responsibility to protect the reef - I have seen atrocious behavior by all types of divers. I would be lying if I said I have never brushed the reef; but I try very hard take only pictures and leave only bubbles.

When I first started uw photography a few years ago, I had my buddy take some video (just the built in capability with his camera) clips when I set up for pictures. It is really enlightening, and helped me correct bouyancy/trim issues.

2 things are critical to not damaging the reef - 1) you have to care, and 2) spot on bouyancy.

gibson1525
10-27-2007, 12:36
bversteegh-good idea about being videoed, and you're right about having to care to not damage the reef. i was in hawaii on the 'Sea Tiger' and a fellow diver proceeded to poke and prod a frog fish until he got him in the position he wanted him for the picture while he was climbing all over the wreck.

personally i think that part of the challenge (and reward) of UW photography is trying to compose a great shot with whatever position the fish is already in.

Puffer Fish
10-27-2007, 20:17
i agree... i hate watching people hunt for bugs or scare stuff away... i try to confront them about it, even if i feel like a jerk... but normally in my situation they are students or new divers, so they heed my advice with respect etc

I would suggest that if you start with the concept of "confront", you are doing more harm than help.

I think the whole concept somehow ends up being black or white, when it should be situational. Damaging live coral, crushing delicate, slow growing life forms is something every diver should be concerned about not doing. Grabbing a rock on a artificial breakwater, not so much.

I dragged a lobster out of the inside of a cement mixer two weeks ago.... should I have been concerned about how I effected it?

Note: I meant the cement mixer, I already know what the lobster thought.

I loose a lot of good pictures, because I don't want to damage the reef, if I am in an area where I could damage something. I also think I am not perfect, but I have yet to see any diver push their way in front of me to take a picture or scare animals away.

If they did, I would not be diving with them. And I have never had a student do that, as respect for the reef is part of their training. Of course that could be out of fear.

BobbyWombat
10-27-2007, 21:58
How do the cert agencies handle this issue in the "underwater photography" class? Do they stress not messing with the animals to get your shot?

Big Mike
10-30-2007, 11:52
As a novice U/W photographer, the first thing I learned was to be careful of my surroundings and not bother the critters (other than my presence). I usually dive in a large (8-10-12) divers and I try to bring up the rear so as not to get in their way. I too believe it is a shame how some photographers "handle" themselves when taking their shots. I did point out to one overzealous photographer with some (what appeared to be high end gear) about kicking the reef once. The very next dive he went right back to the same old stuff. It is unfortunate that we will have to deal with these kinds of people. OK, I'm off my soapbox now....Sorry

RonFrank
10-30-2007, 12:05
This sounds like a thread that came from SB, I hope this forum doesn't become as negative as Scuba Board has become. That is one of the reasons I no longer linger over there.

Ahh, pots, and kettles.

Funny you would hijack a perfectly smooth running thread with this type of trolling behavior. Your post is neither on topic, or beneficial.

If you have a chip on your shoulder, than start your own thread in wine and cheese. If you have something to share, than do so. If you are here to troll and diss SB, than other forums have some Haters that would pick up your cry.

RonFrank
10-30-2007, 12:10
How do the cert agencies handle this issue in the "underwater photography" class? Do they stress not messing with the animals to get your shot?

Yes, they do. But that's not the question. The right question is, do people listen, and care? The second is do they have the skills to stay off the reef?

As a photographer I've dove with, and witnessed a LOT of UW photographers. Most work hard at avoiding marine life. But we all make mistakes from time to time. If you say you don't IMO you're deceiving yourself! :smiley20:

I've run into coral with my dome port in surge. Conditions change, and what was mild surge turned into something more. Next thing I know, bam, dome onto reef. The good news, a Parrot fish does more damage that I did with each bite (yeah, I know they are part of the circle, my lens is NOT). The bad news, a big scratch in my dome.

Lesson learned.