PDA

View Full Version : Navy Seal Workout

kyfriedchipper
10-09-2007, 00:26
Hi - I have wanted to do this for a long time - but alas another football and holiday season is upon us and I'm having a hard time even getting up to the fridge for another beer...thought some folks might be interested in seeing this link though. You gotta think, if its good enough for the SEALs, its got to improve your diving performance...

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/conditioning/a/012204.htm

Tableleg
10-09-2007, 11:25
I actually just enlisted in the Navy last week and am scheduled for the Navy Diver program some time next year. The physical screening test (or PST) is only 1.5 min. slower than the pst for the SEAL program. I've been following something like this for the past few weeks, and it works wonders!

Attached is the document that I initially found when I started looking into dive school. It gives (in a little clearer format) the workout schedules and the goals you should be shooting for. It's not easy, but I'm in the best shape I've ever been in, and I feel great!

CompuDude
10-09-2007, 12:13
If you want a workout regimen built around the Navy SEAL's training routines, check out this product:

http://www.sealtraining.com/

It was developed by a friend, who tragically died in Iraq.

diver_daver
10-11-2007, 10:02
Check out www.crossfit.com. It's a training program that the SEAL teams use, it's not a video, book, program you 'need to buy' as it's free! Go into the message board and start looking around, there are actual SEAL team leaders/members that post there, along with posts from other SF units, armies around the world, firefighters, police, athletes, amateur/colleague/pro coaches, and normal people.

Also look at the getting started section, as it will slowly introduce you to the program. If your looking for a workout that will push you hard, this is it!

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
10-11-2007, 12:12
I actually just enlisted in the Navy last week and am scheduled for the Navy Diver program some time next year.

:smiley20: Congratulations!!! I'm a former sailor, not a SEAL, but I loved it. I wish I'd stayed for the 20+ years. Of course that is hindsight talking! When do you head out for boot camp? I assume you'll be at Great Lakes? Let me know when and some details and depending on timing (holidays etc) I'll arrange to get you out for a day when they do what we used to call "Rent A Sailor". That's where they let you out of boot for a holiday to be with a local family instead of stuck in the barracks.

Good Luck!!

Black-Gorrilla
10-11-2007, 14:42
thats a hell of an workout... im gonna start trying it.

Tableleg
10-11-2007, 14:55
:smiley20: Congratulations!!! I'm a former sailor, not a SEAL, but I loved it. I wish I'd stayed for the 20+ years. Of course that is hindsight talking! When do you head out for boot camp? I assume you'll be at Great Lakes? Let me know when and some details and depending on timing (holidays etc) I'll arrange to get you out for a day when they do what we used to call "Rent A Sailor". That's where they let you out of boot for a holiday to be with a local family instead of stuck in the barracks.

Good Luck!! Hey thanks! I'm currenly in the Delayed Entry Program and as such, standard ship date is 120 day from enlistment, though that can be pushed back to as long as a year if you need it. I plan on going as soon as I can pass that PST though. :smiley1:

Yes, it will be Great Lakes RTC and I'm very stoked to go! I have never heard of this Rent-A-Sailor" program, but it might be helpful to escape for a day; I've heard basic isn't all that fun... :smiley36:

mm2002
10-16-2007, 18:30
I need to start exercising more....this is a great inspiration!

FishFood
10-16-2007, 18:36

Good Luck!! Hey thanks! I'm currenly in the Delayed Entry Program and as such, standard ship date is 120 day from enlistment, though that can be pushed back to as long as a year if you need it. I plan on going as soon as I can pass that PST though. :smiley1:

Yes, it will be Great Lakes RTC and I'm very stoked to go! I have never heard of this Rent-A-Sailor" program, but it might be helpful to escape for a day; I've heard basic isn't all that fun... :smiley36:

Congrats! GOodluck with the dive program. There's a NAvy Dive team down here in Panama City. Very tough stuff. Those guys get get bent all the time... They have direct axcess to there own chamber of course. Someone told me the other day the Navy dive tables allow for a 5% failure rate. (hence all the guys getting bent) The training will be great I bet!

diverdad
10-16-2007, 20:09
Thanks alot guys now i really feel fat and lazy:smilie39:. I have been thinking about working out again, some of these exercise regimes are pretty intence but it might be worth it.

CompuDude
10-16-2007, 20:51
One of the nice things I have found about the Navy workout methodologies is very few of them require much, if any, equipment. A mat helps, but is not essential. A pull-up bar helps a lot too, but again, there's a lot you can do without it. Great when you don't have access to a full gym (or even a home gym). You can do an effective workout anywhere, in very little space, and you don't need to drop $500 on gear to get the job done.

Tableleg
10-17-2007, 11:19
Congrats! GOodluck with the dive program. There's a NAvy Dive team down here in Panama City. Very tough stuff. Those guys get get bent all the time... They have direct axcess to there own chamber of course. Someone told me the other day the Navy dive tables allow for a 5% failure rate. (hence all the guys getting bent) The training will be great I bet! Much thanks! I feel like I'm going to need all the luck I can get!

What you're talking about is the actually the dive school where all the divers for the military (Navy, Air Force, Army) learn to dive (besides the SEALS, they have their own training grounds they keep all to themselves). And EVERYONE learns how to operate the deco-chamber so I'm sure I"ll be spending a lot of time on both outside and inside of it. :smiley20:

don't need to drop $500 on gear to get the job done.This is something lots of people don't understand and often time use as a crutch in the sense "Well, I can't afford ______ so that's why I'm out of shape." You can use anything as resistance, your body doesn't really care what it is. And often times, your body can provide all the resistance you need. :smiley2: I'll admit, I did initially struggle to find a place that I could do pull-ups, but the place I did find is free, and open to the public, so it's not beyond reason to say that if you want it bad enough, you'll find it.

The biggest hurdle I really had was the desire to do it. People aren't going to get into shape if they're not motivated. None of these things are impossibly hard, but it does take hard work to do them. And most people just aren't motivated to do that work.

CompuDude
10-17-2007, 12:08
don't need to drop $500 on gear to get the job done.This is something lots of people don't understand and often time use as a crutch in the sense "Well, I can't afford ______ so that's why I'm out of shape." You can use anything as resistance, your body doesn't really care what it is. And often times, your body can provide all the resistance you need. :smiley2: I'll admit, I did initially struggle to find a place that I could do pull-ups, but the place I did find is free, and open to the public, so it's not beyond reason to say that if you want it bad enough, you'll find it.

The biggest hurdle I really had was the desire to do it. People aren't going to get into shape if they're not motivated. None of these things are impossibly hard, but it does take hard work to do them. And most people just aren't motivated to do that work.

Exactly.

A pullup bar costs about $30 at your local sporting good store. Stick it in a doorway (closets work well) and be done with it.

It costs $10 or less if you can find someone selling a used one on Craigslist or local "sell stuff" rag. That's how I got mine.

No excuses...

ScubaJenn81
10-17-2007, 12:25
Wow, I love reading stuff like that. I can use some of it to change up some of the fitness classes I teach. Always fun to make them sweat a little bit harder.

shane.metzler
10-25-2007, 20:41
Wow after reading some of those suggestions, I think I am changing my workout regiment. I was doing my own thing to get in shape for SWAT, however, the SEAL training seems alot better than what I was doing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

kyfriedchipper
10-26-2007, 00:57
I started back on the bandwagon again this week - I gotta admit that I hate the running...

Tableleg
10-26-2007, 08:13
Most people do. But it's one of the best things you can do both for your heart (it's a great cardiovascular workout) and your general fitness. Believe me, it is hard to start, but it gets much easier.

GDiver
10-27-2007, 19:38
all of this fitness talk is making me feel fat and lazy. guess i'll be running tomorrow morning.

Daved
10-27-2007, 19:49
If I could do one of those work outs--I won't need to work out!

dludwig
10-27-2007, 23:18
too many years of playing baseball & softball have left my knee "shot". I'll have to substitute more swimming for the running :smiley29:

Tableleg
10-29-2007, 14:34
If I could do one of those work outs--I won't need to work out! :smiley1: Really, those are 'training guides' which are different than exercise routines. The difference being that exercise is for general health, where as the fitness required for these programs require a training regume to get there and maintain. If all this work I've been doing was for my general health, I doubt I'd be working for the goals I have been. A 30 min. non stop swim for exercise is completely different than a 30 min. 2500 yard swim that I've been doing to train for the Navy. :smiley2:

too many years of playing baseball & softball have left my knee "shot". I'll have to substitute more swimming for the running :smiley29:
I've been told that if running isn't possible, twice the amount of swimming or cycling should be subsituted for running. So if you were going to run for 20 min., then get on a stationary bike for 40. I don't know if you could swim for that long (I've been doing this for months now and I think I'd struggle with the 40 min. non stop swim :smiley2: ) but the bike would probably be a good alternitave.

robjoubert
10-30-2007, 16:23
Does anyone have a fairly simple exercise routine ? I seem to remember seeing quite a nice routine about two months ago but I cannot find it now that I want to start exercising again.

Thanks

robjoubert
10-30-2007, 18:05
Does anyone have a fairly simple exercise routine ? I seem to remember seeing quite a nice routine about two months ago but I cannot find it now that I want to start exercising again.

Thanks

OF COURSE - 10 minutes after posting this request, I found what I was looking for at Better fitness means better diving. (http://www.divefitness.com/) :smiley31:

peteg
10-30-2007, 19:36
Rob--my wife and I are on week 3 of the navy diving program and it's going well (if you don't count push ups and sit ups). It's pretty simple and as mentioned already in this thread, can be done without a lot of equipment.

paintsnow
10-30-2007, 21:28
hey table leg
lemme know how it goes
thats that i plan on doing in 2 years when i graduate
navy diver program all the way.

i already got a 75 on my asvab or something with the min being a 30 something

so i know im good there

thanx

Tableleg
11-01-2007, 09:00
The ASVAB score for the diver program is dependent on certain parts. Like I think you had to make a good score on the mechanical reasoning and the logical reasoning sections. I made a 93 (on only two hours of sleep I might add), so they were like "So? You want to do the Nuke program? Intelligence? With that score and that great physical, you want to be a SEAL? " :smiley36:

My advice for you is to work towards that PST. That's the only think keeping me here right now, and it's only going to take time and work to obtain it. With you having two years until you can even think of shipping, you have plenty of time. I have until Feb! :smiley5: :smiley36:

Since I posted that first .doc, I have found an updated training schedule (one more geared towards the Special Warfare Group from the Navy vs. that .doc that looks like a recruiter typed it up) and have been following that because it adds in a muscle gaining routine as well. I'd recommend you follow this one if you're sincere about joining. Heck, with the time you have, you could easy train towards the SEAL pst. :smiley2: :smiley20:

therealtreehugger
11-16-2007, 08:32
I hate to run. I tried it once, did two miles, had always been told I had to "run through the pain" and so I did, got back to the house and vowed I would never do it again. On the other hand, I really enjoy biking, and pushing it, too, not just out for a relaxing ride. I would much rather bike for 3/4/5 times as long as the programs tell you to run for. I would love to start on one of the Seal program, minus the running. I could use the strength exercises that the situps, pushups, and pullups give you, but what is a dip?

Bert
11-16-2007, 15:25
what is a dip?
A dip is done on pallell bars you start with arm straight down bend at elbows till 90o is reched the back to straight position at some gyms the have machine that will counter balence your weight.

pajonk_a_jonk
12-25-2007, 13:23
Tableleg, the best advice anyone ever gave me was play the game. as long as you can get past the mental aspect of your training, nothing can stop you. I hope to be headed down that same route next summer. good luck and thanks for the great work out suggestions. i'm starting it up at the new year!

teog
12-25-2007, 16:02
Tableleg, the best advice anyone ever gave me was play the game. as long as you can get past the mental aspect of your training, nothing can stop you. I hope to be headed down that same route next summer. good luck and thanks for the great work out suggestions. i'm starting it up at the new year!

Good luck with your new work out plan. Remember a healthy diet in addtion to which ever work out you go with.

GDiver
12-27-2007, 08:47
I hate to run. I tried it once, did two miles, had always been told I had to "run through the pain" and so I did, got back to the house and vowed I would never do it again. On the other hand, I really enjoy biking, and pushing it, too, not just out for a relaxing ride. I would much rather bike for 3/4/5 times as long as the programs tell you to run for. I would love to start on one of the Seal program, minus the running. I could use the strength exercises that the situps, pushups, and pullups give you, but what is a dip?

Try this link for a video of a dip from the CrossFit site.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/dips.wmv

Ber Rabbit
12-28-2007, 13:07
If you want a workout regimen built around the Navy SEAL's training routines, check out this product:

SEAL Training - Workout Videos, Fitness Equipment, Private Fitness Training with Scott Helvenston (http://www.sealtraining.com/)

I have a couple of his videos and they will rock your world. I really like them because you can tell how hard the "co-stars" are working. At one point the guy doing the moderate version looks like he's going to pass out. There's one part in a box hop where Helvenston loses count and does extra hops one direction says "my bust" and has you switch. They didn't edit out the mistake or re-do the filming and I found that endearing. One day maybe I'll be able to get through more than the first half LOL!
Ber

CompuDude
12-28-2007, 13:31

SEAL Training - Workout Videos, Fitness Equipment, Private Fitness Training with Scott Helvenston (http://www.sealtraining.com/)

I have a couple of his videos and they will rock your world. I really like them because you can tell how hard the "co-stars" are working. At one point the guy doing the moderate version looks like he's going to pass out. There's one part in a box hop where Helvenston loses count and does extra hops one direction says "my bust" and has you switch. They didn't edit out the mistake or re-do the filming and I found that endearing. One day maybe I'll be able to get through more than the first half LOL!
Ber

It's certainly a heck of a workout! Someday I hope to make it through the whole thing, too!

Scott will be missed.