PDA

View Full Version : Vyper or Vyper 2

Silverlode
10-10-2007, 05:00
For the average recreation diver, what's the advantage of the Vyper 2 over the Vyper?

Has anyone here have experience with both and would like to share why they might like one over the other?

I am wondering if it's worth for me to get the Vyper 2 over the Vyper. (LDS reckons the Gekko is enough for me, instructor reckons at least a Vyper for me.)

Aussie
10-10-2007, 06:40
The Gekko does about everything you want in a recreational dive computer. Its priced really well also. There isnt much difference between the Gekko and Vper besides the price.

How much is the LDS selling you the Gekko/Vyper for? send me a pm and I'll see if its a good deal.

Aussie

Silverlode
10-10-2007, 06:47
I know there's not much difference in between the Gekko and Vyper - only the lack of backlighting and no computer download (apparently can get around that, but then I'm using a Mac).

But I do not know what the differences are between the Vyper and Vyper 2 which might be useful.

edit: I don't know how to do PM here!!! help!! :) :)

ScubaToys Larry
10-10-2007, 06:52
To do a PM, you click on the other uses name, then there will be a drop down menu and send a PM is one of your choices.

Silverlode
10-10-2007, 06:57
Thanks Larry

BobArnold8265
10-10-2007, 08:23
The main difference between the Vyper and Vyper 2 is that the Vyper 2 has a built in electronic compass. Other than that, it's mostly some cosmetic changes. If you use a compass a lot, then the Vyper 2 might be worth the money.

okidiver
10-10-2007, 09:01
Just like BobArnold said the really big difference is the electronic compass on the V2. I'm not exactly sure if the Vyper does mix gas or not but I know that the V2 does.

My question is what type of diving are going to be doing? If you are sticking with recreational diving, then get the Gekko. If you are thinking about doing more technical style diving or a lot of deco diving then get the Vyper or V2. Either way your getting a pretty darn good computer.

okidiver
10-10-2007, 09:03
Sorry, I know that both computers do mix gas. I meant multiple mixes.

ReefHound
10-10-2007, 10:40
Why not just visit the Suunto website and review the features list. They clearly note that Vyper2 adds in-water gas switching. I haven't dived it but I like the looks of it (I dive a Vyper) although I'm not ready to run out and spend the bucks to upgrade.

They added a fourth button so you have less cryptic combinations. Don't you hate it when devices try to do 1000 different tasks with a few buttons? To set the time, simply press #1 twice, then press #2, now press #1 and #2 at the same time for 2 seconds, click your heels three times, turn in a circle, then press #1. To set the alarm...

I also like that they added tabs over the buttons to make them easier to press with gloves on.

They added a Deep Stop algorithm for those like me who prefer to make deep stops as well as the safety stop.

The display features larger numbers and an improved layout, in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of electronic compasses and would probably still carry an SK7 for serious navigation but having the compass there always available and not taking up any more space would be nice. It's probably accurate enough for most recreational purposes.

Silverlode
10-10-2007, 19:38
Why not just visit the Suunto website and review the features list. They clearly note that Vyper2 adds in-water gas switching. I haven't dived it but I like the looks of it (I dive a Vyper) although I'm not ready to run out and spend the bucks to upgrade.

They added a fourth button so you have less cryptic combinations. Don't you hate it when devices try to do 1000 different tasks with a few buttons? To set the time, simply press #1 twice, then press #2, now press #1 and #2 at the same time for 2 seconds, click your heels three times, turn in a circle, then press #1. To set the alarm...

I also like that they added tabs over the buttons to make them easier to press with gloves on.

They added a Deep Stop algorithm for those like me who prefer to make deep stops as well as the safety stop.

The display features larger numbers and an improved layout, in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of electronic compasses and would probably still carry an SK7 for serious navigation but having the compass there always available and not taking up any more space would be nice. It's probably accurate enough for most recreational purposes.

I'd visited the website and went through the comparison and all. So kinda know in my head what the differences are but I do not have enough diving experiences to know if I need all those features. The only one that I think I would love would be the deep stop, but even then, considering that I'm still dry in Australia.. don't know when I would get round to using it.

The main difference between the Vyper and Vyper 2 is that the Vyper 2 has a built in electronic compass. Other than that, it's mostly some cosmetic changes. If you use a compass a lot, then the Vyper 2 might be worth the money.

I'm not a fan of electronic compass. Will be looking at getting an analogue one regardless of whether the computer has a compass or not.

Just like BobArnold said the really big difference is the electronic compass on the V2. I'm not exactly sure if the Vyper does mix gas or not but I know that the V2 does.

My question is what type of diving are going to be doing? If you are sticking with recreational diving, then get the Gekko. If you are thinking about doing more technical style diving or a lot of deco diving then get the Vyper or V2. Either way your getting a pretty darn good computer.

The type of diving I would like to do will be the usual recreational one (if there's a usual one), night diving and wreck diving, a number of which are in the 25-35m depth. I'm wondering if I can get by without the deepstop feature of the Vyper2 and save some money by buying the Vyper1.

ReefHound
10-11-2007, 09:12
You can still do deep stops with the Vyper 1, it's just that your computer doesn't give you much credit for them and Suunto is already rather conservative. It might have some effect on your deco stop times, surface intervals, no-fly times, etc. but you should be able to dive recreationally with the Vyper 1 just fine.

okidiver
10-11-2007, 18:18
I would say go ahead and stick to the Vyper or maybe even go with the Gekko. The downfall on the Gekko is that it doesn't do deepstops, and non-downloadab le. It is however, a very good recreational computer.

Silverlode
10-12-2007, 08:06
Thanks all. I'll go with the Vyper then, unless there's a fantastic deal on the Vyper2 somewhere ;). In which case I won't resist the temptation.

subsur
10-13-2007, 08:08
if the only difference is the digital compass - forget about it. get an sk7 and Vyper. but then again, Gekko will do everything for a rec diver. the difference is that you don't have backlight. i just bought one, still waiting for it in the mail. you have computer download option despite the fact it's "officially" not downloadable. i believe even on Mac you can download it. the only "inconvenience" that i've read about - if you do short surface intervals (less than an hour), gekko will punish you.

Silverlode
10-15-2007, 10:54
Subsur,

Let me know how you like the Gekko after you'd tried it.
I would still prefer the Vyper... donno why.
Yes, I should be getting a SK7, once I find a nice cheap one.