PDA

View Full Version : Booked our WPB dives

creggur
10-10-2007, 07:53
Well the wife and I are finally going to get wet in the ocean the last week of October.

Booked our dives yesterday with Narcosis Dive Charters in WPB.. Since this our first trip into the ocean instead of the springs we have dived to this point, we're getting a personal guide for our trips. Seems like money well spent since #1) we have never been on a dive boat, and #2) it's drift diving which we obviously have never done.

The gentleman I spoke to on the phone was very professional and pleasant to deal with, and recommended the wife and I get our Nitrox certs before coming down if possible. Do you guys think it would be worth it to spring for the Nitrox training for 2 days of 2 tank dives??

nunofs
10-10-2007, 09:20
I'm pretty much in the same situation: will be diving in WPB in December (haven't decided on a dive operation yet) and am taking my Nitrox cert here in MA before I travel. I think of it as something that will be useful beyond this single trip, so it's a sort of "investment"...

No Misses
10-10-2007, 09:55
To Nitrox or not to Nitrox, that is the question. Most dive boats plan thier diving on air. On a 2 tank trip, they will not drop you on 2 deep spots. Usually it starts with a deep wreck or reef, followed by a 30-60 minute surface interval, and finish off with a shallow reef dive. Now if it is a private charter or prearranged trip, they can plan for everybody to be diving EAN. Thus surface intervals and/or dive depths can be tailored to the groups desires.

One last remark about EAN. It is my personal belief that the reduction of Nitrogen buildup in my system, leaves me less weary at the end of the day. That is why I dive EAN. The choice is yours.

OK this is really the last remark...
Having your Nitrox cert may open up more diving opportunities for you in the future (shorter surface interval = more dives per day). Agencies are now offering the cert in a knowledge only course. Dives are no longer required. Really what skill are you going to demonstrate on the dives, "I can breath out of a bottle"?

Happy diving :-)

NitroWill
10-10-2007, 09:56
Sounds like yall will have fun..

Nitrox probably isnt worth it for just 4 tanks, but in the end I think it is defintely worth the extra knowledge..

datamunk
10-10-2007, 10:03
well, how is your air consumption? nitrox is a definite benefit if your air consumption is pretty good and normally run out of air before time, but probably you run out of time as well. nitrox will help that... so, it IS an expensive course for just two days of diving, but, would be worth it. however you have to also remember, unless EVERYONE is diving nitrox on the boat, SI will still be around an hour or so, just for safety. im not sure if they will redrop nitrox divers sooner?

so, its definately worth the knowledge like nitro said.. i personally would do it, but its ultimately your choice.

and congradulations! you will probably enjoy the dive! just make sure they dont take u to flower gardens, thats a very popular site... request somethin else

creggur
10-10-2007, 10:23
We had planned to get our Nitrox done in the "off-season" because we're trying to spend our diving $$ on actually getting some dives in right now, instead of additional certifications.

Will probably stick to that plan and do the EAN around January.. I don't think we'll bust the computers on a 2 day 4 dive trip. Especially with our SAC rates right now, I think we'll probably run out of air before bottom time :smiley2:....

scubasamurai
10-10-2007, 12:35
ean for me is a good thing during those live aboard trips, lots of dives, so it helps with recovery for me. a simple two tank boat dive not truley worth it. as for the springs depends where you go . the extra knownledge is god to have

Scubastud16
10-10-2007, 13:00
I would reccomend taking the EANx class. It's great knowledge, and you'll continute to use it for the rest of your dive career.

ertechsg
10-10-2007, 13:24
Scubasam is right EAN for liveaboards use for multi dive not 2 tasks a day it's not worth the extra money you have to pay for the tanks. Thats why he wants you to get cert'ed they can charge more for nitrox. Enjoy your dive air will be just fine and like you said you will run out of air before NDL

somewhereinla
10-10-2007, 13:43
I would highly recomend you get your nitrox cert., if you think you are going to be doing at least 4 dives a day and dive many days in a row. You'll be able to dive longer and you will feel less tired at the end of the day.

scubasamurai
10-10-2007, 16:57
and here is another reason i do not do ean on 2 tanks unless it is confirmed that i will be in the 60-90ft range. had this guy and his wife get ean because they thought they were going deep, but with gulf trips if the conditions are not right they go somewhere else usually shallow. well that happend and ended up on a 40ft reef instead of the 80 ft wreck and even worst the weather came in and we had to cancell the second dive. lightining and 8ft swells kind of turns it off. all that money for nothing!!

save the money, go get cert but decided what you really want to use it for. either way it is good knownledge to have and understand

kyfriedchipper
10-10-2007, 17:10
Was thinking about eventually doing Nitrox too, but 'No Misses' has a good point w/ the standard configuration of 2-tank boat dives in most locations. On a recent dive trip, I saw folks diving Nitrox, and they were coming up about the same time as I was. But I'm sure that their lower nitrogen content made them less tired during the day. I'd just rather have a shor os espresso and pound through the sleepys if I get 'em.