PDA

View Full Version : What do you feel is the best wreck diving sites?

mkenyon2
10-10-2007, 08:08
Any reason will do, what's the best wreck diving 'In Your Honest Opinon'?

cgvmer
10-10-2007, 08:11
The only real answer is the place you have access to.

ohiofireman
10-10-2007, 08:38
I did my first wreck dive yesterday here in Curacao on the Superior Producer http://www.curacao-actief.com/index.php?id=3&dl_id=45 I am looking forward to my Padi wreck specialty course now.

I would love to go to Bermuda and check out al the wrecks there. Might have to tak te family into a vacation there.

subsur
10-10-2007, 08:43
from reading various dive books, Truk (in Micronesia) seems to be the place for best wreck diving. I haven't been in many places. in the US, off the coast of NC is infamous for wrecks but be prepared for a long boat rides. realistically, i agree with cgvmer - the best place is the one you can go and explore whenever you want.

mwhities
10-10-2007, 08:50
from reading various dive books, Truk (in Micronesia) seems to be the place for best wreck diving. I haven't been in many places. in the US, off the coast of NC is infamous for wrecks but be prepared for a long boat rides. realistically, i agree with cgvmer - the best place is the one you can go and explore whenever you want.

I agree but, only from what I've read. I plan to go there within the next 5 years.

Michael

SYOTABUCS
10-10-2007, 15:11
We really want to try Bermuda. Lots of wrecks and not to deep.

Julie
10-10-2007, 17:25
I have only done 3 wreck dives - The Rhone in the B.V.I.s, Superior Producer off Curacao, and The Spiegel Grove in the Florida Keys. They were all fantastic, but I would rank The Rhone as number 1, Spiegel as 2 and Super Producer as 3.

The history associated with The Rhone gave the dive so much more impact for me.

kqhouston
10-15-2007, 17:29
Really, save your money and go to Truk. Been twice, would go again tomorrow. So few of us make the trek, the wrecks are pristine and accessible.

I almost hate to tell people about it!

bubble-head
10-15-2007, 18:25
Based on dives I've actually done, I would have to say Guam is #1 for me. The dive sites could all be reached via shore entry, had excellent visibility, and many were historically significant. I had good times when living on that island.

Aussie
10-15-2007, 18:27
I have Truk and Bikini Atoll on my list for wrecks.

Aussie

Kokomo
10-15-2007, 18:52
I agree that I would like to do the Bermuda wrecks. How deep are the ones in Truk?

clayton
10-15-2007, 18:54
In responce to wreck dive locations,do not forget about the great wooden shipwrecks still intact in the great lakes.I was recently in Tobermorey ontario to dive 2 that are over a hundred years old and still intact.The first was the San Jacinto and second was the Arabia both are a fantastic sight but because they are near 100ft down you have limited time to see and the water was 47degrees at that depth.To really see them will require a few visits.The vis isnt like the warm carribean but was still 60 ft.If you can take the cold a worthwhile dive trip to consider.

tarheeldiver
10-17-2007, 13:03
Close to home NC has some great ones!

allison finch
10-18-2007, 22:41
:smiley20:

North Carolina is known as the ships graveyard. It has wrecks from Blackbeards ship to WWII torpedoed ships (and a couple of German U-boats also). The dives can be a little deep, but tremendous wildlife. We see many large sand tiger sharks that follow you around like docile puppies. You won't regret diving there. It is always listed as one of the top wreck diving destinations of the world.

Dive Master
10-21-2007, 11:54
I have friends who have been to Truk and raved about it but I dont have $4000 for this wreck trip of a lifetime. The same group goes to Morehead City,NC every year and they say it is right up there with Truk (so did Scuba Diving Magazine which had the two tied as the world' best wreck diving.

I love Morehead and try to go every summer.Morehead has large,deep,historical wrecks and lots of big fish.Yes, the boat rides are long and sometimes bumpy but the world class dives are more than worth it.My favorite wrecks are the U-352,Pappoose,Naeco, and Caribe Sea.These are all World War Two wrecks (very historic) and most are patroled by the very large Sand Tiger Sharks.The sharks are amazing and you see them in thier natural enviroment (not some prearranged feeding).Most of the wrcks are out in the Gulf Stream so you have warm,clear,deep blue water and even some colorful Caribbean fish.I am amazed that a major war was going on out there 50 years ago and we were getting our butt kicked by the U-Boats--thus all the freighters, tankers,armed British trawlers, and U-boats littering ocean floor.My mine wonders down there---Am I really narced or Is it the big sharks or the ghost of the brave men who fought and died here calling me???? If you dive North Carolina you will LOVE it !!!!!!

vadiver
10-21-2007, 12:19
I have to agree with NC--I love the wrecks there. I do plan to take a trip to Truck and Bikini Atoll, but I have to wait till some of my regular dive buddies can go. I really don't want to take a trip out that way and be buddied up with some random diver.

gbrdiver
10-22-2007, 01:06
After 3 trips and over 100 dives at Truk, I can say it is the best overall wreck diving around I have seen. Warm 29 deg C water and mostly great vis make it truly enjoyable. At present there are 5 operators to choose from. Do your research well, because you won't believe the difference between them. The deep wrecks like the San Francisco and the Aikoku at around 55-60m (or the Hoki at 45m) will keep me coming back, the shallower wrecks like the Fujikawa and the Kansho at 30-40m are still pristine and always revealing new treasures. Some wrecks are deteriating rapidly and a lot of care needs to be taken. Do your research on the wrecks so you can sound informed when the guides put the diving schedule together...otherwise they have a bad habit of taking the lazy option of diving the easy to locate, close to base wrecks. Liveaboards are a good option...again choose wisely!

Boris42
10-22-2007, 09:16
Cshel and I are going on our first charter this weekend off the coast of NC. We're going to dive the Gill and Hyde on Saturday and the Normania and the Markham on Sunday. I can tell you we're very excited. This will be my first time in the ocean. So far all I've done is quarry diving. I can't wait to share the experience with you guys.

gibson1525
10-23-2007, 15:50
Just got back from Grenada, they have lots of wrecks. While not the quality and name that Truk has, it's close and relatively cheap to get to. Grenada is known for the Bianca C, and Italian Cruise ship that burned and sank in about 120' of water, it's the largest wreck in the Caribbean. We also several other good wrecks that had lots of fish life. It was a good trip.

cooltravelnews
10-23-2007, 19:14
:smiley20:If you like war ships and warm water--Bikini Atoll: The Imperial Japanese Battleship Nagato, US Battleship Arkansas, Destroyers, Submarine, and the remains of the Saratoga Aircraft carrier (caving in :smiley19:superstructure sad it was a great dive) Cold water: Scopper Flow in Scotland,the German WWI battle fleet scuttled at anchor. Check out some of the video's available on these sites and decide for your self. Time is doing them all in so don't wait for ever to go and decide.

For non Attack warships: freighters, tankers, troup transports--Truk Lagoon with the San Francisco Maru and its 3-tanks on the deck and the Fujikawa Maru with the most awesome coral formations imaginable and a dozen different kinds of schooling fish.:smiley20:

terrillja
10-24-2007, 15:50
I would love to go to Bermuda and check out al the wrecks there. Might have to talk the family into a vacation there.

I got my OW in Bermuda, diving on the wrecks. (High school graduation present, along with my parents picking up half the cost of my scuba gear). It was pretty nice to be able to dive on wrecks that are in such shallow waters (about 35' max). I can't remember the wrecks I dove on, but I believe one was the Montana, and a couple were civil war era gun runners. I'd like to go back sometime since it is such a short flight (2hrs from Boston).

BuzzF117
10-24-2007, 15:58
Tsk Tsk Tsk....You guys and your warm water wrecks, go to the Northern Great lakes were you can dive wooden schooners, old paddle wheel steamers and the like. Water may be cold but if you come prepared 7 mil min wetsuit or a drysuit you can dive comfortably and see some very well preserved history.

nuf said
Buzz

terrillja
10-24-2007, 16:02
Tsk Tsk Tsk....You guys and your warm water wrecks, go to the Northern Great lakes were you can dive wooden schooners, old paddle wheel steamers and the like. Water may be cold but if you come prepared 7 mil min wetsuit or a drysuit you can dive comfortably and see some very well preserved history.

nuf said
Buzz

Hoping to next spring- I go to college in Rochester, NY, and I've heard the diving on our (US) side of Lake Ontario is good, but the Canadian side is even better.

divnhank
10-24-2007, 16:04
So far, Bermuda has been my favorite. Haven't been to Truk yet, but it is on my list.

RECDiver
10-24-2007, 20:11
Truk Lagoon, Bermuda, North Carolina coast, Florida Keys area, Great Lakes and I am sure there are others that I am remise in listing.

diver_daver
10-25-2007, 12:45
Take a look at the Great Lakes and St Lawrence River. A ton of wrecks, from modern freighters to wooden sail ships well over a hundred years old. You have easy shore entry, lots of charter options all the way to some very technical dives, plus there are buildings, bridges, lock systems, etc under the water. For the number and variety of wrecks, its defiantly worth a trip to either the Canadian or American side of the boarder.

terrillja
10-25-2007, 15:11
Take a look at the Great Lakes and St Lawrence River. A ton of wrecks, from modern freighters to wooden sail ships well over a hundred years old. You have easy shore entry, lots of charter options all the way to some very technical dives, plus there are buildings, bridges, lock systems, etc under the water. For the number and variety of wrecks, its defiantly worth a trip to either the Canadian or American side of the boarder.

Any places in particular that you recommend? Both are huge areas, and I'm sure every shop you call will say that they have the best spot to dive.

RonFrank
10-25-2007, 15:32
Any reason will do, what's the best wreck diving 'In Your Honest Opinon'?

I have not done them all, but FL has some nice wrecks. I've done the Grove, Eagle, Duane, Bibb, City of Washington, and Benwood. I really enjoy the Duane an Grove, but how on a given day one wreck may have more/less vis or current than the next.

N. Carolina has some of the best wreck diving in the US.

I've been told by those that have done Truk that it's some of the best wreck diving in the world.

Ft. Lauderdale has some fun wrecks.

IMO it's all good!